Is S1 redundant ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
chatsworth

Is S1 redundant ?

Post by chatsworth »

I am led to believe that all persons of pension age resident in Cyprus will have to pay 1.7% of their income as from March 1st under the Gesy plan. I am now wondering what the advantage of holding an S1 is although Immigration are still requiring one to be held by applicants.
josef k

Re: Is S1 redundant ?

Post by josef k »

The fact of the matter is we just don't know. Nobody (e.g. Cyprus Govt, High Commission) are telling us anything. When you do ask, nobody knows.

However, logic says that the S1 will continue, as without it we would be asked for the full cost of treatment which would be a lot more than 1.7% of income.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I know the Cypriot state pensioners will pay 1.7% of their income but as josef k writes above there has been no mention regarding UK state pensioners, not even in the media let alone from official sources. Regarding the S1 form, I would expect it to remain in use until the state health benefits issue is resolved between the UK and EU.

As the Brexit negotiations stagger on I don't anticipate an early announcement on this subject.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

GOV.UK Email <gov.uk.email@notifications.service.gov.uk>

15:52 (1 hour ago)

Evidently the UK seems to think it is neccesary.
GOV.UK

Living in Cyprus

Official information British people moving to and living in Cyprus need to know, including EU Exit guidance, residency, healthcare and driving.

1:10pm, 13 March 2019: We have updated the contact details you need to apply for an S1 form.
All things are possible
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

My accountant informed me yesterday that she had received information that ALL pensioners will be liable for the 1.7 % Gesy payment and that this would be payable to the tax office. How, when etc was still unknown apparently.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am I honestly do not believe anyone knows....
Strange? havant you been telling everyone on here from day one, that nothing will change after Brexit, boy are you in for a shock.
wilky

Post by wilky »

Found this on the gesy web site goto gesy.org.cy information then News click on Commencement of Contributions dated 1/02/2019 if you download this PDF file it is 8 pages it tells you everything about payments for working and pensioners through the tax system.
Dave
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

This is the answer I got when I emailed GESY. The reply, perhaps, should say "as a UK NATIONAL resident in Cyprus" but I guess that's just a mistake in the translation from Greek to English.

According to the GHS regulations, all Cyprus tax residents who receive a pension or any income from the Republic of Cyprus or abroad are obliged to pay a contribution of 1,70% on their pension/income for the 1st phase of the GHS (1st March 2019) and 2,65% for the 2nd phase (1st March 2020). Kindly note that as a UK resident in Cyprus, you will have to pay the contribution directly to the Tax Department through self-assessment. For more information regarding whether the UK Government will defray the costs, you will have to contact the responsible department of your Government.

Thank you for contacting us, we remain at your disposal.

GHS Contact Centre

Health Insurance Organisation

Tel: 17000, calling from abroad: +357-22017000

Email: info@gesy.org.cy

wilky

Post by wilky »

On page 2 item 2 defines pensioner and item 3 defines all other forms of payments under article 5 of the tax law ie dividends rent etc so if you complete a tax return as a natural person even like me you dont pay tax we will still have to pay gesy at 1.7% of declared income.That is how I read this document and everybody would pay and be treated the same as a local with regard to health.
Dave
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

I would hope that the BHC can give a positive answer to the additional health costs that are being levied by the Cypriot authorities since even for a pensioner below the tax threshold substantial amounts will have to be paid. Around €300 per person this year and €500 per person next year irrespective of any Brexit outcome. I fear though the answer will be that these charges are a matter for the host country and residents will have to comply and that any compensation from the UK will not be forthcoming.
Big amounts for a pensioner couple on a tight budget.
WHL

Post by WHL »

chatsworth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm I would hope that the BHC can give a positive answer to the additional health costs that are being levied by the Cypriot authorities since even for a pensioner below the tax threshold substantial amounts will have to be paid. Around €300 per person this year and €500 per person next year irrespective of any Brexit outcome. I fear though the answer will be that these charges are a matter for the host country and residents will have to comply and that any compensation from the UK will not be forthcoming.
300/500 is peanuts to receive health care for a year, one euro a day?
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Hudswell - I have also emailed BHC & will post what they reply. Will be interesting to see if we get the same standard reply!
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

WHL
Peanuts ?
Idiotic remark !
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Personally, I think the UK will pick up the healthcare costs of their pensioners in Europe, as they do now but things may need to settle a bit first before the actual mechanism kicks in once we leave the EU!

Shane
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We live on my state pension. I think it is a lot to pay €300.00 and then next year €500.00 Where do I get the extra money from?
All things are possible
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

chatsworth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:30 pm WHL
Peanuts ?
Idiotic remark !
As usual :(
WHL

Post by WHL »

chatsworth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:30 pm WHL
Peanuts ?
Idiotic remark !
In your opinion. You obviously haven't a clue, how much health care costs.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:01 pm
chatsworth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm I would hope that the BHC can give a positive answer to the additional health costs that are being levied by the Cypriot authorities since even for a pensioner below the tax threshold substantial amounts will have to be paid. Around €300 per person this year and €500 per person next year irrespective of any Brexit outcome. I fear though the answer will be that these charges are a matter for the host country and residents will have to comply and that any compensation from the UK will not be forthcoming.
300/500 is peanuts to receive health care for a year, one euro a day?
Well it’s 300/500 more than State pensioners are paying today, and for some not peanuts.
Nothing stays the same in life, For Cyprus it's a massive achievement to finally get a National Health service up and running. One euro a day is nothing.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Certainly a significant amount when taken together with increases in rent, electricity etc if you are on a low income. Many UK state pensioners I know get less than the Cyprus minimum wage, so a couple where each has a UK state pension will be paying €300 a year each for GESY contributions and that will have an effect on their lifestyle. However, I thought it was 1.7% of income, not sure where the figures of 300 or 500 come from.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 pm For you nothing perhaps but €500 a year for some is significant...I currently pay about €2000 private, for me, if I have to pay into the system it’s a result...as a pensioner in the UK you pay nothing...hopefully reciprocal agreements will be in place and UK pensioners will not have to pay directly from their pensions, having payed NI most of their lives.
It's not relavent if pensioners in the UK pay nothing. Your living in Cyprus now.