Black widow spider

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Uncle D

Black widow spider

Post by Uncle D »

For anyone who knows about these things, Max maybe
My wife discovered one in our composter, it scurried away when she lifted the lid but she noticed the shiny black body with an orange red mark on its back, there is also a web in there
Should we leave it be or worry, as we have an inquisitive little dog. :?
David
71 Trans Am

Re: Black widow spider

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I dont think i would take a chance - If your did get bitten you would never forgive yourself when you know it is there.

Info -
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/h ... -bite.aspx
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Not sure how to kill it, its in the compost and difficult to get to, maybe put petrol in and set fire to it?
David
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 am Not sure how to kill it, its in the compost and difficult to get to, maybe put petrol in and set fire to it?
That's sounds very drastic to me. If the spider found it's place in your composter it will not move from there. They are always hiding, in hot summer specially under stones. In the past, many years ago, I was collecting them together with "Snake George" for his Reptile Park.

The question is: will your dog have a chance to come into contact when it is in your composter? (I believe it is one of these plastic containers...)

Max
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Hi Max, I don't want to kill it, we love wildlife but we also love our dog.
If it got in the composter it must be able to get out, we are concerned that it may have young and then we would be worried.
Yes its the plastic type container, if the spider is in there all the time the dog isnt likely to come into contact, but there is always a chance that it might.
Do you know anybody who can maybe take it away?
David
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am Hi Max, I don't want to kill it, we love wildlife but we also love our dog.
If it got in the composter it must be able to get out, we are concerned that it may have young and then we would be worried.
Yes its the plastic type container, if the spider is in there all the time the dog isnt likely to come into contact, but there is always a chance that it might.
Do you know anybody who can maybe take it away?
You can do it yourself perhaps. I would wear rubber gloves (yellow). If you put one of these large plastic containers with lid (3-5 l) over it and move the container sidewards in order to catch the insect. Then close the container with the lid and carry it some hundred meters away from your place and release it where a lot of stones are....

Max
Ams

Post by Ams »

The Cyprus Herpetological Society will come and remove snakes from your property. I have no idea if they do spiders but it may be worth contacting them in case they do, or they may know someone who can.

http://hscyprus.org/en/
https://www.facebook.com/CyHerpSo/
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks, Max i will try that first
David
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I would set fire to the whole lot as there may be baby spiders in there allready.
All things are possible
smudger

Post by smudger »

Oooeeerrr! I'm sitting on the fence again! No prob with spiders usually, but could make an exception for this one, but babies.....??
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Spiders and other insects don't like Aroxol spray..
Trev..