Curved TVs

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
aphrodite

Curved TVs

Post by aphrodite »

I am thinking of purchasing a new TV and I wondered if anyone had an opinion on the curved type, ie does it make for better viewing etc.?

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you. X
PhotoLady

Re: Curved TVs

Post by PhotoLady »

According to the TV shop we visited in the high street a few months ago here in UK where we asked exactly that same question - the answer is "no"....

The guy we spent time with in the shop said although they may look attractive (to some people - he obviously didn't like them at all) they don't offer any different viewing experience than a normal flat type TV.

Those TVs were the more expensive sets he had in his shop, but he certainly steered us away from them!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

They are still very expensive in Cyprus, better deals are to be had with normal formats, in fact Cyprus for TV's are cheaper than the UK but not the curved type, those I have seen see nothing special, only Samsung's came through with flying colour's. best to go and look for yourself make your own mind up.

Last edited by JimX on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

We like the curved Samsung! Really top quality viewing.
Louise :)
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Road Warrior wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm Can tell you that, in the UK, they are falling out of favour, not reckoned to be worth the extra money and the viewing experience appears to be no better than flat screen. Friend has one and, to me, there is no difference from my own flat screen.
We are up for a new TV soon, and will buy a flat screen one again locally.
Is it worth buying a 4K one? We use IPTV of course + local terrestrial channels (north and south).
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think there is a disadvantage going for the highest resolution you can get, if you are going to be watching via the internet. If you have to use a lower res stream it will look worse on a hires screen than it will on a lower res one.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
El tel

Post by El tel »

what is the price of TV's in Cyprus ? I last bought one 10 years ago and it needs updating and will be looking for a 32" when I come out in May.

cheers Terry
El tel

Post by El tel »

Much cheaper than I expected , thanks Road Warrier.

Terry
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Curved PC screens are OK as you sit close and straight in front - for wall mounted TVs (or on a stand) viewing angle will become paramount hence not always optimal for all set-ups. I prefer flat but large (when it comes to TVs ;) )

a.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Dominic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:00 pm I think there is a disadvantage going for the highest resolution you can get, if you are going to be watching via the internet. If you have to use a lower res stream it will look worse on a hires screen than it will on a lower res one.
Thanks for that.
Geoff.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Many thanks for all the comments, very helpful in making me decide against a curved TV and to go for a big flat screen. XX :D
GreenArmy12

Post by GreenArmy12 »

J have a 55" Samsung Curved TV that I brought with me from the UK, and have to say that I am delighted with it, The picture quality is excellent even with internet streaming at standard definition, and when watching blu ray or 4K content from my amazon fire box it really comes into it's own. I also find that the viewing position is less critical than with the flat screen TV that I had previously. Each to their own I guess!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I've just bought a curved screen but cannot comment on viewing quality as I am waiting for it to arrive from UK via local shipper. Must say it was a great deal though, and worth shipping etc from UK rather than buying here.
JimX

Post by JimX »

4K in not available via any streaming device that I know of (on Cy), only via a 4K blu-ray maybe?, I would wait for confirmation on availability of content and 4K equipment before investing. You may have a long wait.

This may confuse you even more.

to buy curve or not.

Jim.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Road Warrior wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:55 pm Depends on the amount of 4K viewing content, you have access to !
http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/re ... ?a=viewall
Dominic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:00 pm I think there is a disadvantage going for the highest resolution you can get, if you are going to be watching via the internet. If you have to use a lower res stream it will look worse on a hires screen than it will on a lower res one.
Having looked at and more or less decided I might buy a 50" Samsung flat screen from Stephanis, I realise it has 4K technology. Am I correct in thinking that you might both be saying it is not a good idea?
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I have a LG 4k resolution TV here in Cyprus. When viewing for example a YouTube 4k stream it is superb quality.
Some 4K streams available via a Kodi system device will likely have the streaming data upscaled to look like 4K but it ain't really!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would ask to see what low quality video looks like.

A simple test would be for them to hook a laptop up to the screen and watch a youtube video on it.

The thing is, technology evolves pretty quickly in that area, so the problems I saw a few years ago may no longer be an issue. They could have found ways around it. But before, crystal clear high res imagery would make low res images look blocky, due to the very nature of the clarity.

If they have introduced some sort of dithering, to ruffle the edges, so to speak, then all well and good. But look before you leap.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Thank you all for further comments on 4K. I am 'dithering' myself, but I think now I will look for a flat screen without 4K. So, having decided against a curved and 4K, is there any advice to be had as to resolution I should look for or is it standard on non 4K TVs? I had no idea there were so many things to take into consideration! Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

I appreciate all the advice I'm being given, thank you. X
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

aphrodite wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:15 am Thank you all for further comments on 4K. I am 'dithering' myself, but I think now I will look for a flat screen without 4K. So, having decided against a curved and 4K, is there any advice to be had as to resolution I should look for or is it standard on non 4K TVs? I had no idea there were so many things to take into consideration! Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

I appreciate all the advice I'm being given, thank you. X
If you don't go for 4K you'll want 'Full HD' or '1080p' (they're the same thing) resolution.

Don't accept 'HD Ready' which is 720p although I doubt if you will find any in the stores these days...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, definitely don't want just 720, if you can still get one!