Is that Citrin? It would be the first time...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Is that Citrin? It would be the first time...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This nice crystal geode I found on my last mineral hunting trip in my area and I would like to know from our experts here on the forum if this is a mix of which quartz. If it is Citrin it would be the first time I was lucky enough to find one. So far I have much more then hundred quartz specimens, but not that yellowish colour...

close up..

close up..

Max
ph06kg1

Re: Is that Citrin? It would be the first time...

Post by ph06kg1 »

Hi Max! Yes, to my opinion it is citrine, and a beautiful specimen well done! You can find it within oxidized veins rich in iron (near panayia church in Marathounta there is a huge oxidized vein, where not only yellow, but also red Quartz occurs! Amazing, thank you for posting :)
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

There is an easy way to test whether this is Citrine or not - just watch the this lady's video:

If you put a piece under your pillow and wake up feeling more prosperous than yes, it is... :lol:

A.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And you can't argue with science.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

So far, only George came up with his nice judgement. ... . :roll:

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:02 pm Hi Max! Yes, to my opinion it is citrine, and a beautiful specimen well done! You can find it within oxidized veins rich in iron (near panayia church in Marathounta there is a huge oxidized vein, where not only yellow, but also red Quartz occurs! Amazing, thank you for posting :)
The funny thing is George: some years ago I used to walk ca 10 km every early morning around the Panagia church, but never saw any veins or interesting bolder with crystals...unlike down the river valley where there are plenty of them...

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

The funny thing is George: some years ago I used to walk ca 10 km every early morning around the Panagia church, but never saw any veins or interesting bolder with crystals...unlike down the river valley where there are plenty of them...

Max
[/quote]

Hehe thanks Max! On the contrary, right under Panayia church in Marathounta hill lies a treasure Max! It was my first ever place to locate Quartz! You can find find amazing yellow or red Quartz there! Here are the first ever Quartz that i found there (Guess i was more than lucky!)
20171214_220708.jpg
20171214_220708.jpg (20.01 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
20171214_220647.jpg
20171214_220647.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
Sorry about the blurry images, guess i have to buy a good camera!! The first Quartz also contains goethite crystals on top (black points) with some occurence of calcite as well :) Regards, George
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:01 pm The funny thing is George: some years ago I used to walk ca 10 km every early morning around the Panagia church, but never saw any veins or interesting bolder with crystals...unlike down the river valley where there are plenty of them...

Max
Sorry Max, i was a bit embarrased for the previous photos, here is another one, hopefully better! Need emergency Photography lessons hehehe
DSC03956.JPG
DSC03956.JPG (230.21 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
DSC03954.JPG
DSC03954.JPG (170.69 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I don't know what to say George, but if i have a Iook at the photos on your Kypria Gaia link, many of them are of excellent quality. Only some of them are a bit blurred which means you have to care more about your focusing sometimes. If you put your aperture settings on high "F" figures it would help, try to avoid holding the minerals with one hand and shoot with the other hand. (I couldn't do that!) When I focus on delicate subjects I use automatic focus first and then manually adjust that....

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:13 pm I don't know what to say George, but if i have a Iook at the photos on your Kypria Gaia link, many of them are of excellent quality. Only some of them are a bit blurred which means you have to care more about your focusing sometimes. If you put your aperture settings on high "F" figures it would help, try to avoid holding the minerals with one hand and shoot with the other hand. (I couldn't do that!) When I focus on delicate subjects I use automatic focus first and then manually adjust that....

Max
Thank you so much Max for your helpful comments, i ll try to follow them from now on! Guess one reason is that on Paphos life i have to compress pictures to 250 K, otherwise it wont let me upload the pic, so i loose quality...!! On Kypria Gaia i upload them according to their real-size, that's mainly a reason why some of them have good quality! I understand the hand-holding problem, but sometimes it is necessary to indicate the size of the rock; but you are right, most of them are indeed blurried when holding them!

If you want to have a look by the way on the blog section in my page, i show the place of citrine (just right next to Panayia Odigitria church!) Thanks!