Unusual or not?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mike strand2

Unusual or not?

Post by mike strand2 »

Was amazed at how low the water was in the harbour yesterday afternoon. Is that normal this time of year?

The 2 thermometers on my patio in the direct sun this morning read 42C. Is that normal in early March?
trevnhil

Re: Unusual or not?

Post by trevnhil »

Re the thermometers... If they are in direct sun, yes that is usual.
Most people place their thermometers in the shade..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:35 amLow tide...
Il get my popcorn and make myself comfortable, :lol:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The barometer is high just now, at ~1026 hPa. Further west in the Med, there is a steep depression at ~990 hPa. The water level varies as it runs from the high pressure to the low. This can make a difference of a few tens of cm in the respective water levels, much more than the ~10 cm of spring tides.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

What “ Spring Tides” ? Think I’ll get my popcorn too.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 am Re the thermometers... If they are in direct sun, yes that is usual.
Most people place their thermometers in the shade..
I normally have one in the sun and one in the shade, but becasue one in the sun read 42, I though it must be faulty, so brought my other into the full sun as a cross check.

Re the water at the harbour; it must be about a metre lower than normal. There's even a beach opposite all the souvenir & coffee shops!
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

According to the tide table there is around a 27cm difference between high and low tide at the moment, which is one of the larger differences for Cyprus. Also the effect of Devil's explanation of differences of pressure and that would account for the appearance of there being a proper tide in Cyprus.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

As an old sailor- There is a thing called High High tide and then there is what is called Low Low tide. Theses
occur when the sun and moon are in close proximity. So this will be a Low Low tide. Perfectly normal.
All things are possible
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Wait till Jim comes on and tells us that there are no tides in the Med.....
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Oh, the Tides of March! ;)

Shane
boycott

Post by boycott »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:54 am I'm at a loss to understand what sensible interpretation you can make of a thermometer left in the blazing sun :? Surely only the temperature recorded by a thermometer in the shade has relevance?
Not if you are standing in the sun!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Temperature measurement is always hairy. It should be done in a Stevenson screen. Did you know that this is named after the father of Robert Louis Stevenson, who invented it over 150 years ago to provide accurate temperature measurements round the Scottish network of lighthouses. They are still used today as an international standard and are quite complex devices and are expensive.
330px-Stevenson_screen_exterior[1].JPG
330px-Stevenson_screen_exterior[1].JPG (35.92 KiB) Viewed 3353 times

Various plastic devices to simulate a Stevenson screen are on the market and I have two similar to this:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3001
This is almost as good as a proper screen, but can produce errors of up to a °C in strong sunlight with low wind speeds. Be aware that there are many cheap plastic screens on the market but they are generally very poor.

An unprotected thermometer, even in the shade, can never be accurate for several reasons, whether glass or electronic. Under some conditions, errors of up to 5°C are quite common.
Attachments
2019-03-09_111221.jpg
2019-03-09_111221.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 3353 times