Police launch seat-belt campaign

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: Police launch seat-belt campaign

Post by Jim B »

I had a very bad habit of driving off and then putting my seat belt on. Did it outside the Alpha Bank on the Mesogi Road and had gone only about 10 metres when a policeman on foot waved me to stop and fined me €85. Don't do it these days.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That is an easy bad habit to get into. And it is a thing that I have done in the past.. even the recent past
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is interesting mentioning the seat belt alarm.. We have 10 year old Qashqai and that has a seat belt alarm.. I am making an assumption that most modern cars do..
So how can so many people in Cyprus drive around without using a seat belt. Do they keep it permanently fastened behind them ??...
Trev..
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I think you may find that basic road traffic fines are going up this week or next to around 300 euros, a friend of mine was told this when he was stopped by a policeman last week!

Shane
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 pm It is interesting mentioning the seat belt alarm.. We have 10 year old Qashqai and that has a seat belt alarm.. I am making an assumption that most modern cars do..
So how can so many people in Cyprus drive around without using a seat belt. Do they keep it permanently fastened behind them ??...
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/seat-belt-alarm-stopper
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I am also guilty occasionally of driving off without fastening my seat belt too. But my 11 year old Nissan Note also has a seat belt alarm which has saved me from driving without one.
Although the sound is annoying it is still a good thing to have.

Dee
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Its very common to see some people get in the car and slip the seat belt over their shoulder which looks like they are wearing it properly but actually the lower part is sat on and not across their lap Its still fastened and so the beep doesn't go continuously off
Spock

Post by Spock »

It is unbelievable that anyone wouldn't want to wear a seat belt. You can be the safest driver in the world but that won't help when an idiot come out of a side street and hits you. There was a very good public service film on UK TV some time back, showing a woman driving her car with her kids in the back, without seat belts on. The voice over talked about how she was going to die and the killer was right there in the car with her. You then see the accident and the result of her child hitting her at 30mph. Quite graphic but very effective. Should do something like that on Cyprus TV.
Boldly going......
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

A seat belt campaign on Cyprus TV would be good if they don't have one already ..
Trev..
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I know Vi, definitely not a laughing matter but, your reference WAS funny.

I remember vividly Esther Ranzens' programme 'That's Life' which aired early to mid 70's until the 90's in the UK and they raised this issue several times. I am convinced it is only then when most people really 'sat up and took notice.'

Maggie B
smudger

Post by smudger »

Sorry, but the Cypriots really do need waking up and frightening. The consequences of driving without seatbelts are just so horrendous.

I've posted this before I know, but a while ago I was going down to Paphiakos for the Saturday market, and as I turned right from Tremithousa I followed a 4x4, in the back of which I could see a pair of clearly childrens legs waving in the air. This situation continued all the way into Kato Paphos, until just before I turned off at the bowling alley to get to Paphiakos when blow me anither pair of Children's legs appeared waving in the air. Just what may have happened to these children if this car had been in a head on crash?? I simply dread to think.

Please Cypriots, wake up for your Children's sakes!!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Putting a seat belt on is now automatic for me, even if I am only moving the car a few yards! Several years ago I was involved in a serious accident which was not my fault but without doubt if I hadn't been wearing a seat belt I would not be here now!

Shane
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Can’t believe some drivers take the trouble to put the seatbelt over their shoulder but can’t be bothered to fasten it.