Hellenic/Bank of Cyprus query

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Hellenic/Bank of Cyprus query

Post by MacManiac »

Unfortunately the Hellenic Bank in Polis has moved into the former Co-op Bank site, which is neither convenient nor a great idea. Narrow pavements, an eternal queue for the ATM (which blocks the entry to the bank), belching diesel twin cabs double-parked as near to the door as possible ... I could go on.

We have always been happy with the Hellenic Bank, and don’t want to transfer our account elsewhere. We were wondering whether we could use our Visa debit cards in the Bank of Cyprus ATM, and whether there is a charge. Many thanks for any information.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Hellenic/Bank of Cyprus query

Post by Devil »

Yes you can, but you are charged €2 for every transaction.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thank you.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Devil wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:01 pm Yes you can, but you are charged €2 for every transaction.
That seems weird - I can use my BoC card on any ATM in Cyprus w/o incurring charges (expect the private portable blue container looking ones).

A.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

The closure of the BoC branch in Polemi is upsetting not just those who live in Polemi, but those from a bit further out who also used that branch. Most, if not all, Polemi branch customers have been redirected to the Akamantidos branch, which is not exactly convenient. 😡
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
J B

Post by J B »

Lofos-5 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:27 pm
Devil wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:01 pm Yes you can, but you are charged €2 for every transaction.
That seems weird - I can use my BoC card on any ATM in Cyprus w/o incurring charges (expect the private portable blue container looking ones).
Last time I used my BoC card at the CoOp ATM (Stephanie area Tala) I was charged €3

:(
J B
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

You are right JB. That exact Coop ATM, when it was still there, charged extra. But other banks definitely never caused me to incur extra charges. A.
J B

Post by J B »

Lofos-5 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:01 pm You are right JB. That exact Coop ATM, when it was still there, charged extra. But other banks definitely never caused me to incur extra charges. A.
That's interesting - I just assumed it was all banks ...

Maybe I will try again, although not sure where any other non BoC ATM's are outside Tala ...
J B
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

The JCC ATM next to the cinema in the Mall charges 3 Euro for cash withdrawals...

A.
Ams

Post by Ams »

If I remember right, when I used by BoC debit card to withdraw funds from another bank's ATM (Hellenic I think), I was charged €3. It was a while ago though.

It was definitely a bank that time, not a JCC or the private ones, where yes, I also get charged €3.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Must make it a habit to only withdraw from BoC in the future. Luckily they have plenty of ATMs all over the island and even in the arrival hall of the airport.

A.
jeba

Post by jeba »

BoC charges money for every transaction except for those via their bank card - even for receiving funds. Is there a bank with no transaction/maintenance fees?
J B

Post by J B »

jeba wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:45 am BoC charges money for every transaction except for those via their bank card - even for receiving funds. Is there a bank with no transaction/maintenance fees?
Not sure where you get that info from.
We have a private BoC account and one for our complex (that I administer)
Never been charged for receiving
Don't get charged for payments out to BoC accounts
Do get charged €3 for payments out to non-BoC accounts
J B
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I did notice a few months ago that if I went into the BOC and withdrew money over the counter there was a charge ... But no charge to use the ATM outside the bank
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

David Brown wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:54 am No charges at Hellenic/coop if you have an account
Maybe not for withdrawing cash over the counter, I haven't tried so don't know. However, if you pay bills over the counter, an additional fee of €1 is charged by Co-op / Hellenic...
Kay
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

jeba wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:45 am BoC charges money for every transaction except for those via their bank card - even for receiving funds. Is there a bank with no transaction/maintenance fees?
BoC only charges for receiving if the incoming amount is above a certain level, I think it is currently €9999. In other words, if you transfer into your BoC account €10000 or more, there will be a charge.

The various charges are fairly clearly set out if you log in to BoC...
Kay
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Each bank has a link to its charges so it is possible to compare them.
gazzaga

Post by gazzaga »

I work with a bank in Isle of Man which issues debit cards in €,$ and £ and I'm not charged for cash withdrawals anywhere in the World. It also offers all usual UK banking facilities, even a cheque book. It has a high minimum balance however but this can be cash and investments so it works for me