Cheapest car insurance for over 80s

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Uncle D

Cheapest car insurance for over 80s

Post by Uncle D »

Hi, my MIL has just paid over €500 for her car insurance €100 more than last year, the insurance company she has been with for 25 years and never claimed, no points on her licence etc.
She told them that she does less than 2000kms per year and was told that this makes no difference as it is because of her age, she accepted that and later we discussed trying another company next time.
Can anyone recommended companies that take into consideration low mileage etc?
Thanks
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
trevnhil

Re: Cheapest car insurance for over 80s

Post by trevnhil »

I have not yet reached 80 but an min the last half of my 70's. I am paying €430 for a Honda Jazz.
I was advised to 'shop around', but other places I have been to are quoting around the €600 mark.
One company told me that I would be better off staying with my present company, who know your History.
I am expecting my premiums to go higher when I reach 80 plus.. They seem to get away with raising premiums here relating to your age. Not just whether you have had a bump or not..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

With TopQuotes and our insurance went up by €50 because one of us is now over 75, so anticipate it will go up again in 5 years. AIG is the insurance company. Worth going to the most recommended companies to get a quote,but many will not take on a driver 70+ years of age.
darrow

Post by darrow »

MOH is over 80, and we were told that new insurers are reluctant to take on over 80's!! We are with Abbeygate and pay €430 for a 1600cc. Nissan Qashqai.
darrow

Post by darrow »

MOH is over 80, and we were told that new insurers are reluctant to take on over 80's!! We are with Abbeygate and pay €430 for a 1600cc. Nissan Qashqai.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Darrow, I think that is exactly what we pay for the same car and company..

When my Father in law came out with us to Cyprus, no company would insure him as he was over 80..

He had to take three letters of rejection to the Higher Risk Pool ( a government scheme) and get insurance from there.
The price was sky high for 3rd party only
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks thats interesting, I think the value of the car is also factored in not just engine size, my MIL has a 1.2 Skoda Yeti.
I have since found out that one of the questions that Abbeygate ask is how many miles does the vehicle cover in one year, it starts at 5000 kms, 10,000 and 15,000.
We will need to wait till the next premium is due, then see if we can get it cheaper.
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is only 4 weeks since I took new insurance out with Abbeygate and I didn't get asked the question re mileage..
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I spotted on their online quote form, Trev.
But if they didnt ask yourself then it may not be relevant at all
David
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

My understanding is that it's possible to change insurance companies before you reach 80 yrs, but not after 80 yrs!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks for all replies, looks likely that my MIL will have to bite the bullet.
David