From Polis to Limni Pier

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

From Polis to Limni Pier

Post by Dominic »

While the weather isn't quite what we would like yet, you can still have fun on an afternoon stroll. Today we visit the area between Polis Municipal Beach and Limni Pier. How does it look now that Spring is here?

Read the article and comment on it below...

from-polis-to-limni-pier_masthead.jpg
from-polis-to-limni-pier_masthead.jpg (147.55 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: From Polis to Limni Pier

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Your question how the minerals were transported: I had some pics in my gallery how it looked. There was a railway line all the way to the end of the pier where it was lifted then.

abandoned years later it looked like that

Oh, and on Page 4, pic no 18: this are flowering beans... ;)

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:19 am Thanks for that Dominic, my old stomping ground, we used to walk from our villa to the pier along the beach quite often, the headland stopped us walking the other way to the campsite. I must say the beaches are in the worst condition I have seen them for 6 years, they always get ravished this time for year but the erosion is getting worse. The tree clearing near Argakka is by the picnic site, I am not sure about the diseased trees, they just seemed to be making the picnic site more accessible to the beach area, they have also built a new toilet block to replace the “long drops”. The view to the hills over Latchi is one of my favourite in Cyprus and the sunsets are indeed incredible, watching from the beach with a glass of wine was always a treat. Hopefully the beaches will clear in time for the turtle season.
Somebody on facebook mentioned the diseased trees. That's where that info came from. I think it was on the Polis group.

Regarding the state of the beaches, Polis Beach was hit hard. There isn't a lot they can do about it at the moment though, until they know the rains have stopped. I think what they need is the same sort of drainage they installed along our road last summer. Thank God they did too, otherwise we would have been flooded out!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:31 pm Your question how the minerals were transported: I had some pics in my gallery how it looked. There was a railway line all the way to the end of the pier where it was lifted then.

Max
Wow, so when did the T-shaped part of the pier get added?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:06 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:31 pm Your question how the minerals were transported: I had some pics in my gallery how it looked. There was a railway line all the way to the end of the pier where it was lifted then.

Max
Wow, so when did the T-shaped part of the pier get added?

From 1882 to 1918 a succession of companies were running Limni mines and shut down in 1946 due to wartime shortages of spares and equipment, but started again 1947.
The company was formerly known as Cyprus Sulphur and Copper Company Limited and changed its name to Cyprus Limni Resorts and GolfCourses PLC in August 2006. The company was incorporated in 1940 and is headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Cyprus Limni Resorts and GolfCourses PLC is a subsidiary of Arsinoe Investments Company Limited. All under the conglomerate of CTC Shacolas group recently taken over from BOC.

It is difficult for me to tell which time the Limni pier was operating as my photo shows but I guess it was between 1951-1959 when also Kinousa mine was producing altogether 1400 tons/day. I was in the area in 1975 but then there were no activities at this pier...

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What did the pier look like in '75? Was it T shaped?
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Hi,
Slightly off the main topic but regarding beach erosion, have they finished building all the breakwater in the sea near the Polis campsite yet? Thanks
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think so. They have certainly built some. Indeed, some people were wondering if they were responsible for the erosion. Given that the sand was washed OUT to sea, I can't see that being the case though.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Breakwaters nearly finished, looks like a couple to be completed.