Travel Insurance

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Spock

Travel Insurance

Post by Spock »

Having made 66, my Travel Insurance is now going to restricts me to 31 days in any trip when I renew it.
As I like to come to Cyprus for about six weeks at a time, four times a year, this is clearly not good.

I will have a good look round before I renew it, but has anyone else come across a company that will cover longer periods at this age?
I found one that will cover 45 days, but they wanted nearly £700 for the year, as opposed to the £130 or so I'm paying now.

The other option is 4 week stays and an extra trip or two each year I suppose.
Boldly going......
Oxfordboy

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by Oxfordboy »

Spock wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:18 pm Having made 66, my Travel Insurance is now going to restricts me to 31 days in any trip when I renew it.
As I like to come to Cyprus for about six weeks at a time, four times a year, this is clearly not good.

I will have a good look round before I renew it, but has anyone else come across a company that will cover longer periods at this age?
I found one that will cover 45 days, but they wanted nearly £700 for the year, as opposed to the £130 or so I'm paying now.

The other option is 4 week stays and an extra trip or two each year I suppose.
I'm a year younger than you and have just renewed my annual travel insurance which covers both my wife and myself worldwide (i.e. inc. US and Canada) for multiple trips per year each with a maximum of 45 days for a total of £171 (including an excess waiver) with Globelink www.globelink.co.uk. Fortunately never had a need to use them in the past so I can't vouch for their actual service, but they do have good reviews and a comprehensive range of products.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Oxfordboy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:19 am I'm a year younger than you and have just renewed my annual travel insurance which covers both my wife and myself worldwide (i.e. inc. US and Canada) for multiple trips per year each with a maximum of 45 days for a total of £171 (including an excess waiver) with Globelink www.globelink.co.uk. Fortunately never had a need to use them in the past so I can't vouch for their actual service, but they do have good reviews and a comprehensive range of products.
It was the same for me at 65. It didn't matter that I was going to turn 66 in the year of the cover, but when I renew with them this year it will be on the new terms.

Many thanks for the other replies. I haven't checked Saga yet but will do. I will also talk to Abbeygate who do my Cyprus insurances, but I suspect I might have to purchase the cover back in the UK where my main residence is.

One thing's for sure - I won't be "boldly going" anywhere without travel insurance as some choose to do.

Will let you know how I get on.
Boldly going......
manxie

Post by manxie »

Try Columbus direct I paid about £200 but we do not have to pay insurance tax for me and wife with various declarations medical ,up to 45 days annual policy manxie
Spock

Post by Spock »

manxie wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:14 am Try Columbus direct I paid about £200 but we do not have to pay insurance tax for me and wife with various declarations medical ,up to 45 days annual policy manxie
Thanks manxie.
That does look useful and better value than my previous quote.
Boldly going......
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

Hi spock

try these two companys AVIVA and LV they both do up to 45 60 90 days even with health problems
got to be worth a look.
Vic 1
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

Hi spock again forgot to say being over 65 will not help everthing will now start to go up.
Vic 1
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Spock

Post by Spock »

Thanks vic 1 and galexinda.
I'll look at those too.
Boldly going......
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

We have our travel insurance via Lloyds Bank and pay about £170 extra per year to extend any trip up to 90 days. What we do find restrictive though is our household insurance for our UK property. 60 days maximum unoccupied on any one occasion, and the one year we decided to extend it was very expensive but, off hand, I can't recall how much. It was a per trip charge, not an annual one. Couldn't get around it by having family stay in the house as "policy holder" was clearly specified.