Lawrence the Busker

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Anarita John

Lawrence the Busker

Post by Anarita John »

I had not seen Mr Lawrence out and about so I asked one of the policemen down at the harbour if they knew where he was. I was told that unfortunately he had passed away.
I used to stop and talk to him. He had a good memory of things that had happened in the past and could name the Aldershot teams from the 50s and 60s. He had a mobile phone and would talk to someone about what he had done that day and how much he had made singing.
The police at the harbour used to keep an eye on him and give him cream for his legs.
RIP Lawrence.
Uncle D

Re: Lawrence the Busker

Post by Uncle D »

Yes, he died a few years ago, very sad.
We used to sell art at the Emplo where he used to play his accordion I often took him out a cup of tea
David
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I thought he died fairly recently, or are we talking about two different people?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Maybe, I cant remember the accordion players name, my wife thinks that it was Peter, so yes wrong person :oops:
Last edited by Uncle D on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I last saw him at the beginning of December, before we went back to the UK. He was at the bottom of the ramp by the Alexander the Great Hotel,in his usual place. Unfortunately, he was doing more sleeping than singing. The policeman said he had died about four weeks ago. The police used to keep an eye on him, after his arrest last year when he was not charged with begging and the €30 he had collected was returned to him. He lived in a flat and had a carer.
EMMAFUDGE

Post by EMMAFUDGE »

Thats really sad news. He used to live on our complex Limnaria Gardens, although I am not sure recently what his living arrangements have been as he had been living in an apartment owned by one of his friends from London. I don't think he had a carer. He used to come and use the communal toilets and showers at Limnaria in the morning, so I assumed he slept elsewhere, but I can't be sure.

Anyway very sad, a likeable chap who had a brilliant knowledge of football.

RIP
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

It was the policeman who told me he had a carer. When he was arrested they checked on his living arrangements. He also told me that they regularly checked up on him.