Mould in rooms

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Re: Mould in rooms

Post by galexinda »

jeba wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am
galexinda wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 am We use a gas heater as our main source of heat
Gas heaters will contribute to the problem because they produce water. Probably better to use your aircon for heating.
Unable to use air conditioners due to breathing problems. Windows/patio doors all face the front of the apartment so no windows in kitchen area, bathroom or ensuite.

Extractor fans are fitted in bathroom and ensuite but again I do not use them because of breathing problems, so we just dry down the shower area/bath after use.

Of the 14 apartments in our block we are the only apartment with no damp, mould condensation etc. The people who live above currently have to wipe the condensation off their windows every day.
robf

Post by robf »

I wonder if this would work in Cyprus. Fitting would be a bit more of a challenge, but once in it should work fine.
Has anybody tried it?

https://www.juiceelectricalsupplies.co. ... ZiEALw_wcB
Andy01424

Post by Andy01424 »

Put Rock Slat in a bowl in Room it will sort it,had problem with car in winter when not used,seats would sprout spores,used white vinegar to clean it then left large bowl of rock salt,now no mould appears, they use this in Holiday homes[ mobile caravans]......you will be surprised how much the rock salt bowl fills with water
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:05 am I have never heard of Aircon causing moisture. In fact there is a dehumidifying mode that take moisture out of the air... The water that is drained from the aircon machine down a pipe to the outside of the building, is water taken out of the inside air..
https://www.mold-advisor.com/air-conditioner-mold.html
It happens Trev when not serviced regular the spores spread. Warm air as well from opening doors and it meeting the cold will cause mould.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

STELIOSBWFC wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:09 am
trevnhil wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:05 am I have never heard of Aircon causing moisture. In fact there is a dehumidifying mode that take moisture out of the air... The water that is drained from the aircon machine down a pipe to the outside of the building, is water taken out of the inside air..
https://www.mold-advisor.com/air-conditioner-mold.html
It happens Trev when not serviced regular the spores spread. Warm air as well from opening doors and it meeting the cold will cause mould.
If you buy a ready made meal or a loaf and it has mould on it before the sell by date it is because mould spores are present in the production area and it is the same in the home. They are little sods and can be carried very easy and spread very quick unless treated.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Many years ago (20+) we stayed in a hotel and there was an air conditioning unit in the bedroom and I said I could smell mould in the room. Maintenance came up and following my sniffer dog sense of smell we located the problem in the AC. On removing the casing there was an extensive growth of mould. We were upgraded to a better room. I'm also good at detecting gas leaks!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Correct! I understand that central heating tends to warm and dry the air. Paraffin and Gas fuelled heaters are the main cause of dampness and also windows that are tightly closed.
My new house is typical of the way many are built with a flat roof, but so far no traces of mould.

Dee
mikesjn

Post by mikesjn »

WHL wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 am We had a problem in the bathrooms, our own fault, as always closed the window to soon after showering in winter time .. painted the ceilings with a special anti mould paint, bought from orinos, not sure if they have a shop in Paphos? and never had a problem since.

I agree, we had the same issue in our UK bathroom and used Dulux kitchen and bathroom, the walls were fine but the corners of the ceiling started getting a little mould form after about 6 months (My wife wont have a fan that runs on after the light is switched off, pet hate of hers.). I used something called Kingfisher Anti-mould paint additive in ordinary silk emulsion and that has been fine for 3 years, I think it is roughly the same stuff that is in the Dulux, but stronger, don't know if you can get anything similar in Cyprus.

https://www.kingfisheruk.com/anti-mould ... Lw_wcB#52Y
WHL

Post by WHL »

mikesjn wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 am We had a problem in the bathrooms, our own fault, as always closed the window to soon after showering in winter time .. painted the ceilings with a special anti mould paint, bought from orinos, not sure if they have a shop in Paphos? and never had a problem since.

I agree, we had the same issue in our UK bathroom and used Dulux kitchen and bathroom, the walls were fine but the corners of the ceiling started getting a little mould form after about 6 months (My wife wont have a fan that runs on after the light is switched off, pet hate of hers.). I used something called Kingfisher Anti-mould paint additive in ordinary silk emulsion and that has been fine for 3 years, I think it is roughly the same stuff that is in the Dulux, but stronger, don't know if you can get anything similar in Cyprus.

The paint I got from orinos, was an anti mould paint , white and you painted it on before painting the wall with emulsion.
glowred

Post by glowred »

I don't see the point of applying anti mould paint and then painting ordinary emulsion over the top as the spores form on the surface and by sealing the anti mould paint underneath it would negate any benefits.

Neil
WHL

Post by WHL »

glowred wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 pm I don't see the point of applying anti mould paint and then painting ordinary emulsion over the top as the spores form on the surface and by sealing the anti mould paint underneath it would negate any benefits.

Neil
All I can say is, It works,
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

In the vast majority of cases, the solution is not to use either gas or paraffin heaters.
mikesjn

Post by mikesjn »

WHL wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:03 pm
mikesjn wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm

The paint I got from orinos, was an anti mould paint , white and you painted it on before painting the wall with emulsion.
Ronseal and Dulux both do similar paints, they are good brands that have a reputation to keep up, in the UK I always buy Dulux as the paint lasts longer, fades less. They would certainly be better at containing anything already on the walls, deep in the paint below, as the paint in my bathroom was pitted when I washed it off, at the time I did wonder if the mould cleaner had worked and it hadn't come from behind.