Problem with fitted gasfire

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tremigirl

Problem with fitted gasfire

Post by Tremigirl »

We have a fitted gas fire that was fitted and service by Thermodynamics.
When we have it on now, after about an hour we get a lot of soot residue on the burner plus the glass front goes black.
We have had Thermodynamics out three times but the problem hasn't been resolved, we were wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
We have had the fire for about six years and never had this problem before.
Lofos-5

Re: Problem with fitted gasfire

Post by Lofos-5 »

Have you changed the gas supplier? Could be impurities in the gas? What have the chaps from TD said?

A.
Last edited by Lofos-5 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Have you changed the gas supplier? Could be impurities in the gas or elsewhere (ie water ingress due to rain?). What have the chaps from TD said?

A.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Does the chimney need a sweep?
All things are possible
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Thank you all for your replies.
No we haven't changed our gas supplier, we have a big tank as we have central heating and gas hob which are both working properly.
TD haven't got a clue, they have been out three times now and just ask like you all have e.g. Gas supplier, has the regulator on the central heating boiler been changed, No! Just had it serviced and all ok.
So still a big puzzle.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Morning.

I must have the same gas fire as you? yes ours sooted up and I had the same company as you who fitted the fire some years back to service the fire, my problem as yours was sooting up and the booster fan was not working, the fire was serviced by Thermodynamics as you used, I had a dead mouse in the fan blade, we presume falling down our chimney flue, it was all cleaned and also the glass so far all working as it should. Possibly you have a blocked flue but unlikely as it is a gas fire, not solid fuel, this can and should be checked by the service engineer he will see if it is doing its job, my fire has only once sooted up the glass screen, in a recent storm they said caused a back draught, so far working as it should, call them back to check your flue. If this happens to us again I will get a chimney stack rotator fitted to pull out any sooting problems. (also if your fire has a booster fan make sure that is operating)

good luck

PS we also have a 500KG gas tank filled by a tanker, I do not think it is bad LPG gas though.
Jim.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Thank you all for your messages especially Jim and David Brown.
Our fan is working ok and the chimney is clear. We have now had a delivery of gas and my husband has cleaned the fire out of the soot and cleaned the blackened glass once again so we will use it again and see what happens now.
We had the pressure checked by Thermodynamics and they said it was ok so we will now wait and see.
Thank you all once again.
JB1

Post by JB1 »

I have a balanced flue gas fire and use the tall gas bottles. Occasionally the glass door gets sooty and I've always been given to understand it was due to 'dirty' gas. Sounds possible to me as I don't get it with all bottles. Joyce
Paul

Post by Paul »

If your getting soot then that is a sign of bad combustion.
there must be some way to increase the air flow in to the fire.
Maybe the fan is running a little slow through dry bearings.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It is as Paul said down to bad combustion which is caused by low draught. Could be a blocked or restricted flue or a problem with the fan.

Jim