The Camel Trail Venetian Bridges

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Camel Trail Venetian Bridges

Post by Dominic »

Over the last few days we've been trying to visit the three most popular Venetian Bridges on the Camel Trail, to see how they have coped with all the rain. It took a while to get to Roudia, but now finally, we can show you what we found.

Read the article and chat about it below...

camel-trail-bridges_masthead.jpg
camel-trail-bridges_masthead.jpg (212.15 KiB) Viewed 3810 times

Now a major film!

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
STELIOSBWFC

Re: The Camel Trail Venetian Bridges

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

I have never seen CYP in winter with rain fall and I think the video footage you provide is very good. Has this year been better for rain fall in winter than the last 5 or so years.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And here is the youtube version of the film:

Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

What would we do without you Dominic, another really wonderful set of photos which for us are unusual for Cyprus. We only visit several times between April and November.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I had a lot of fun doing the Roudia bit. There's something special about being out in the wilds on your own.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Another fantastic blog Dominic.

Don't think I would attempt any of theses routes on my own, so you are showing me sites I would not otherwise see.......so thank you.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

We go off the beaten track during our 4x4 drives. Yes, the old white roads of which the Paphos area has a lot, are amazing. People who never venture off the tarmac tend to miss a lot of wonderful vistas and beautiful scenary. The Venetian Bridges are well worth visiting, they were beautifully and strongly constructed in stone by the Venetians. Its sad that its the more modern bridges which show their inferior construction and lack of thought by becomming impassable when they are most needed.personally, Dominic is lucky that he comes back unscathed from his exploits, but he must be taking some risks going out solo under such difficult and potentially dangerous ground conditions.
Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I hate to come across ever so slightly pedantic, but the table HIC has posted is the inflow into the reservoirs, not the annual rainfall measures, though obviously you can’t have one without the other! The Met dept does also publish the daily rainfall levels at their recording stations, but out of curiosity I’ve been trying to find the historic annual totals, but not having much joy. The closest I’ve got is a few years out of date at the following link:

http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/ms/ms.nsf/DML ... enDocument

Does anybody have anything better and / or more recent?

Ian
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I’ve also wondered how they measure the inflow - it’s not as if there’s a single point of entry! There must be some strategically placed flow meters? Or perhaps depth can be calculated by the pressure of water at a certain point? No doubt, one day I’ll bump into an expert!

For the rain, they have 17 official measuring points across the island and average it for the island total. Link below if you, or others reading this haven’t seen it.

http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/ms/ms.nsf/DML ... endocument

Ian
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Fabulous blog Dominic it’s quite unbelievable the amount of water that’s burst the banks ......but with all the rain 🌧 maybe not .........
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

In the excellent blog or video Dom mentions the water running off out to sea or similar words, yes there is run off from Arminou but it also feeds Kouris, i don't know the area but believe its a pipeline.
Armeniou has a capacity of 4300 mcm and according to the storage data since the 7 Dec 2018 some 14,300 mcm has been transferred to Kouris, basically more than 3 times it's own capacity.
The Ha Potami river, which runs through the Secret Valley Golf course is still running very high. Much of the "red sea" you can see between Aphrodite and the airport beaches is the mud washed down that river. Plenty of damage to the golf course where one of the bridges collapsed as the foundations have been washed away. The Venetian bridge on the course though is still there.