bbc news.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Re: bbc news.

Post by memory man »

I believe he feels partly responsible for the deaths. :(
memory man

Post by memory man »

“Had we not been there that day they could have landed and I think they would have probably survived."
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/p ... h-13804583
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

A similar incident happened at Feckleton an American bomber crashed into the local school when trying to land at Warton. 61 were killed including 38 children. Tragic times.

Jim

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freckleton_air_disaster
smudger

Post by smudger »

I've followed this incident as well. So moving. Tony did say many times that the guilt never leaves him, just gets worse. Which is such a shame, they were 6 year olds, they couldn't have realised what the consequences could be. Think he has totally redeemed himself with his devotion and duty.

Watched the whole thing this morning and was reduced to tears several times, like you V find the missing man fly off is always so moving and poignant.

A great show by the BBC, Dan Walker (shame he couldn't be there),Tony himself,the assorted US and UK airmen, bases and families, the great planes and the organisation. Brill to see so many people turn up. Good show Sheffield.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

It was very emotional, I wonder if any US TV stations covered it.
Last edited by Uncle D on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
jen

Post by jen »

We too have followed this story. It was lovely to watch yesterday but a bit tearful as well.

What a wonderful man he is and if ever anyone deserved to be honoured for his dedication to what he has done he is and hope he does receive an honour.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There were many, many examples of people who acted heroically in the last war. Some of them were mentioned in dispatches, and subsequently received honours. This was often the case with RAF aircrew. These very brave men worked tirelessly and skillfully to prevent Germany from landing in Britain. Viz the Battle of Britain, and other campaigns in foreign lands in support of the British Army. We all owe a lot and our freedom to their efforts. Many of them are unsung heroes.
Lest we forget!

Dee
smudger

Post by smudger »

Many of us don't forget Dee, my father was killed in Tunisia 6 weeks before I was born leaving my widowed mother to bring me up on her own, not an easy life.

Doesn't stop me admiring the likes of Tony doing their bit to remember some of the others who gave their lives.

All are more than worthy. The alternative just doesn't bear thinking about.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Many of us don't forget Dee, my father was killed in Tunisia 6 weeks before I was born leaving my widowed mother to bring me up on her own, not an easy life.

Doesn't stop me admiring the likes of Tony doing their bit to remember some of the others who gave their lives.

All are more than worthy. The alternative just doesn't bear thinking about.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

I was in Endcliffe Park today and went to see the memorial. It was quite a moving experience.