I did it again: enormous Barracuda for Lunch.. (pics)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

I did it again: enormous Barracuda for Lunch.. (pics)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I wasn't going to post another time about my fish lunch at Timi beach but some comments from members here changed my mind.... ;)
Weatherwise I was also looking forward to drive down to the sea when I looked through my window as I could see a lot of blue sky and sun....
When I arrived I was shocked about the size of fish they had reserved yesterday for me, but then I am a pig when it comes to fresh fish from the sea.

Here we are, there was no large enough plate though and the waiter's eyes were very doubtful as one can see if I really go for that huge thing Image

But when I had a close look at the fish eyes I couldn't resist and ordered it, as they showed clearly that the barracuda was still in the sea this morning..

Sun was not hiding when I arrived and they laid the table extra for me outside while all the other Cypriot guests preferred indoors near the gas fire..

Large village salad with extra garlic and very fresh sourdough bread from Mandria, but I thought about the size of the fish and restrained a bit with too much of the bread though

20 minutes later the fish arrived accompanied by two many chips and oven potatoes today for me...

I started to fillet the barracuda and ate first the crispy skin while recognizing that it was really cooked like I love it, medium rare..

one can see how juicy the flesh is...just delicious

and here pic of the remains, actually not too many bones, most of it was the huge head apart from that, all meat..

it took me quite a while to finish all of that, but must say that I left first time ever some chips and baked potato as I was really bulging. So I took a double village zivania to digest and Greek coffee over to the sea side of the place.

with nice cloud impressions..

also to the other direction towards Aphrodite's rocks

and finally I finished, heading home where I found out that it was not only 7 c colder but also had some drops of rain, so again it was worth the trip and the spending (of course not a little as normal) :)

Max
brengreen

Re: I did it again: enormous Barracuda for Lunch.. (pics)

Post by brengreen »

Looks yummy. Thanks for sharing.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Max that was one huge fish! Well done for getting the better of it.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Brilliant, really enjoy your pics.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Drooling---I am sure it tasted as good as it looks.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Max I envy your experience & with a bottle of beer and a double village zivania, glad you made it home safely :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chips and roast potatoes? You'll be getting a spud belly. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Love people who enjoy their food.... keep posting :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

jagwheels wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 pm Max I envy your experience & with a bottle of beer and a double village zivania, glad you made it home safely :)
All within the limits, except the amount of fish ( 760 gr ) and by the way, I wasn't driving... the car was :P

Max
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Sorry Max, I disagree with you about being within the drink drive limit. Just one keo would take you to around the limit in Cyprus and a double Zivania would certainly take you over.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm Sorry Max, I disagree with you about being within the drink drive limit. Just one keo would take you to around the limit in Cyprus and a double Zivania would certainly take you over.
In the last 25 years or so I was never drink-driving unlike many others living here. (inclusive the locals of course) I can see it every Saturday when I visit my fish tavern how much alcohol people consume and drive off. My neighbour (not mention his nationality) drives back every second day from his village tavern after 8-10 large bottles of carlsberg or my landlord's father which looks after his garden drives back to town after consuming 2 small bottles of Zivania in the morning and that 3 times a week.... :roll: :roll:

By the way, that you can be more relaxed and perhaps instead enjoy watching my pics: as it was so much food I could finish only 1/2 of the beer. That was not hard as I am not a fan of beer, to enjoy a drink I prefer a good red wine or quality whisky. (The Zivania was more a medicine.....)

Max
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Max, you are accusing me of not being relaxed. I was just pointing out that what you said you consumed would have taken you over the drink drive limit in Cyprus. So you only drank half of the beer, that is 330ml, the same as a can in the UK. Plus the beer is over 4% volume by alcohol, so fairly strong. Combined with a double Zivania, and especially the measures served in Cyprus, you would be over the limit.
Forget what other people may do, that is no excuse for driving after consuming alcohol.

We do not go to your fish restaurant but prefer the chippie in Mandria. Rosemary will often have a vodka and lemonade there. There is no way she would drive after just one drink, because of the huge measures they serve. Likewise at all the tavernas we frequent. The measures of spirits are huge.

Yes, I am relaxed about my own pictures, which I have now uploaded to Amazon Prime and are now the screensaver on my Amazon TV stick. A brilliant game for our family is to guess were the pictures were taken.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You have no idea how long Max was at the restaurant, so how can you say whether he was over the limit or not? For all you know he could have (and in fact, probably did) spend a couple of hours photographing the clouds afterwards!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 pm You have no idea how long Max was at the restaurant, so how can you say whether he was over the limit or not? For all you know he could have (and in fact, probably did) spend a couple of hours photographing the clouds afterwards!
You are absolutely right Dominic, I was spending nearly all the afternoon from 12 AM there as I could see in the far distance that at home were large black clouds, so no reason to hurry back into the winter...( my last photo shows the time of the day! )
Further, Cypriot beers are very weak concerning original gravity (specially KEO) which one cannot compare with beers brewed in Germany, Czechia or GB. So half a bottle is nothing... nearly like water. Alcohol level in your blood depends also at your constitution, men or women, ill or healthy, empty stomach... and much more.

Max
manxie

Post by manxie »

I to think you are making a generalization as dominic said, just let him be the judge as too his ability to pass breathalizer should he have to take one, I enjoy maxes fish lunches and will be trying one or two myself
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I could be wrong but given the amount of food consumed against the amount of alcohol consumed - I reckon Max would be as fresh as a Daisy.

How does food affect the absorption of alcohol in the body?
(The small intestine is where most of the alcohol absorption occurs.) The presence of food slows down the stomach emptying time for alcohol and thus decreases the amount of alcohol that is available to pass into the bloodstream. This affects the amount of alcohol that reaches the duodenum and the liver.4 Mar 2015
Food & Alcohol Consumption - Milwaukee DUI attorney
https://www.duidefensewi.com/how-food-a ... nsumption/
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

71 Trans Am wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 pm I could be wrong but given the amount of food consumed against the amount of alcohol consumed - I reckon Max would be as fresh as a Daisy.

How does food affect the absorption of alcohol in the body?
(The small intestine is where most of the alcohol absorption occurs.) The presence of food slows down the stomach emptying time for alcohol and thus decreases the amount of alcohol that is available to pass into the bloodstream. This affects the amount of alcohol that reaches the duodenum and the liver.4 Mar 2015
Food & Alcohol Consumption - Milwaukee DUI attorney
https://www.duidefensewi.com/how-food-a ... nsumption/
Thank you "71 Trans AM" for your efforts to post this information even as I was aware already, it is perhaps interesting for other worrying members about my ability to drive home safely. :) :)

Max
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I don’t need to justify anything as I never ever drink and drive probably due to the fact I was banned for 12 month when I was 18 years old for drinking and driving but it is possible to do this without being anywhere near the drink drive limit depending on the amount you eat and drink and your metabolism and most sensible people will be aware of how much is too much .
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

Good lunch! Which taverna at Timi is this please?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:31 am The only safe way to ensure you are not anyway near the safe limit is not to drink, it is as simple as that. I have no idea if Max was over the limit, but it was his choice to drive, and if stopped and found to be over the limit then that’s his responsibility, and on his conscience. And explaining to the police officers the “science” would get you absolutely no where...so please stop,with the excuses, the science, the “my neighbour drinks and drives so does my landlords dad”. The fish looked lovely by the way.
Nobody is suggesting it would help with the police. That is a complete red herring. With the police there is just you and the bag.

And they are not "excuses". Excuses imply guilt. All Max is guilty of is enjoying a fab day out at his restaurant and taking some lovely pictures.