January dam inflow sets all-time monthly record

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

January dam inflow sets all-time monthly record

Post by Paphos Life »

The inflow of water into the dams in January has set an all-time record, according to Water inflow so far this month had totalled 92,844 million cubic metres (mcm).The previous monthly record was January 2012 when total inflow into dams was 92,634 mcm, but for the entire month....

Read the article and chat about it below...
smudger

Re: January dam inflow sets all-time monthly record

Post by smudger »

Aha! So bears out what many of us have been saying - 'never known rain like it' - or wordsto that effect!!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Looking at the long term accuweather forecast, things should be settling down now to more "normal" weather patterns …………… but that's probably the kiss of death and we will be seeing fire and brimstone coming down over the weekend! :)

Shane
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

So we will see increased evaporation rates then...
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Is this an all-time record? The Water Development Department website only goes back 10 years.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Mighty Sprite wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 am Is this an all-time record? The Water Development Department website only goes back 10 years.
If 6000 years is any better than use this plot here to see how precipitation has changed over the last centuries ;) :

Climate in the eastern Mediterranean.png
Climate in the eastern Mediterranean.png (152.28 KiB) Viewed 3195 times

from a Swedish PhD on the Easter Med climate in the Holocene and beyond: https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/d ... TEXT01.pdf

Results from a paleoclimate review reveal that regional wetter conditions from 6000 to 5400 years BP were replaced by a less wet period from 5400 to 4600 years BP and to fully arid conditions around 4600 years BP.

A.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ApusApus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 pm Looking at the long term accuweather forecast, things should be settling down now to more "normal" weather patterns …………… but that's probably the kiss of death and we will be seeing fire and brimstone coming down over the weekend! :)

Shane
Yeah, accuweather forecast yesterday for today was only clouds all day long... I don't think so if I look through my window now...inclusive a lovely sunrise this morning.
How they want to know what the weather is "long term" when they cannot do it within 24 hours :roll:

Max
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Go back to your radar Max, it suits you better!

Shane
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Don't need your advice, Shane, as I am already on the way for my Saturday fish lunch at Timi beach... :) :)

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We were out this morning but then the clouds thickened and darkened and it started raining. We drove from Nata to Episkopi and Minthis at about 1:30 and it was raining then too. I was surprised that the Ezousa was now flowing over the bridge where I was filming a few days ago. I would have thought the waters would have eased but there was a lot more.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:09 pm We were out this morning but then the clouds thickened and darkened and it started raining. We drove from Nata to Episkopi and Minthis at about 1:30 and it was raining then too. I was surprised that the Ezousa was now flowing over the bridge where I was filming a few days ago. I would have thought the waters would have eased but there was a lot more.
That's always nice when you are able to escape rainy weather area just by driving a few minutes. I was at the same time at my fish tavern Timi Beach, able to sit outside and enjoyed a incredible large barracuda in full sunshine....and that's only a few miles away from Nata/Episkopi.

Max
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Looks lovely at Timi Beach!