Driving in your “Dotage”

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PhotoLady

Re: Driving in your “Dotage”

Post by PhotoLady »

I was very surprised to hear he was still driving himself at that age when I saw the news last night!
Living in the small villages around here certainly shows the worst of old age driving at its very best... We thought (wrongly) the days of corners being constantly cut by vehicles turning into the road we were reaching the junction of would become a thing of the past after we left Cyprus - but no!
Here, many can only drive on a straight road, don't do turning of the wheel, abandon cars 3 feet from the kerb on narrow roads which buses and delivery artics pass through and some can barely see over the dashboard.
An elderly lady backed into a garden wall of a corner plot just 4 doors from us after she ran up the kerb. She never registered she had done it and simply drove away. Luckily the owner of the house saw her and managed to catch a photo of the rear end of the car and the reg plate as the lady buggered off.
My mum has already made up her mind that she will stop driving at 80, even if she's ok to continue to do so.
And don't get me on the doddery Saturday night drinkers who still drive home after a full night of bingo and entertainment after 11:45pm!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Most of the very poor and dangerous driving I have witnessed has come from the mad hatters, the younger people not us older drivers, although I dislike driving at night these days and I usually do not do so, but many need transport to doctors hospitals etc who may live some way out, so they may have to continue to drive well into their old age, with some luck we will all get there.
Jim.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I'm 86 with perfect eyesight (tested), requiring only reading glasses, full wide vision. My reaction time is good (~0.3 sec, up from 0.25 sec two years ago). Our daughter tests me twice/year, commenting on HOW I drive and she accepts my driving as a nervous passenger! I'm prepared to give up as soon as she (or myself) gives me the thumbs down.

BTW, I still have my Cyprus Driving Licence from 1956!!!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Interestingly, BBC are quoting the following statistics in the news article :

"In November 2018, there were 5.3 million over-70s with full driving licences in Britain, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.
There were 11,245 people involved in road traffic accidents where the driver was in that age group - a rate of two per 1,000 licence holders.

For Britain's 2.8 million drivers aged 17 to 24, the rate was more than four times as high, at nine per 1,000.

The DVLA did not provide figures on whether this simply reflected that the older age group were on the road less than the younger age group. However, a separate study from the National Travel Survey suggests that over-70 drive an average of 1,000 miles a year more than under-20s."

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It was announce there, that the speed on that road has been dropped from 60 to 50 and a traffic monitoring system is being installed, in light of Phil the Greek’s accident......

No mention of whether there had been any other accidents on this straight stretch of road....
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:49 pm As I said, you will always be able to pick out the “exceptions to the rule” and of course there are those elderly (as demonstrated by Devil) perfectly capable of driving perfectly safely, but do you hold back on legislation because of this group or do you consider the majority and he majority of road users? And I agree age is not the defining factor, but a degree of “proof” is required to ensure that the capability required still exists, and a line in the Sand drawn. So where do you draw that line? 70,80...90....
Surely, you draw the line when one fails the prescribed mental and physical testing .......................... the actual age is not really relevant but with increasing age then the frequency of testing should also increase?

Shane
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

There will always be some fit and agile people who are capable, perhaps, of driving later in life than most. However, at his very advanced age the D of E should not be on public roads. My grandfather kept driving into his early 90's and just ignored all advice to stop until he ran into the back of a stationary vehicle, writing both cars off. Fortunately, the other car was empty. 30 years later my father- in - law did exactly the same. Both of them could have killed or maimed other people, never mind doing the same to themselves.

Some years ago, here in Cyprus, I helped an elderly lady through a shop doorway as she was extremely doddery, even with a walking stick, and the door and the steps beyond it were just too much for her. To my amazement she then got into a car and drove away, just lurching out into the busy traffic as it was the lunchtime rush hour. I hope she got home alright, without any harm to herself, or others, but she really should not have been driving.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I was behind an old boy waiting to turn left, I could see he was having a problem looking to his right, he just couldn’t turn his head enough, after a bit he just pulled out, hoping for the best, unfortunately two cars had to slam their brakes on, and just missed him by the skin of their teeth.. also coming back from Larnaca airport last year .. I came face to face with an old boy driving down the wrong side of the motorway, sh*t myself , doesn’t come close, so in answer to the OPs question, I think a stricter mental and physical test should be given yearly to everyone over 70.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 pm I think a stricter mental and physical test should be given yearly to everyone over 70.
Rubbish!!! I've had two here since turning 70, at your suggested rate I would have had 7 by now. I and my other half both consider I drive as safely and defensively as I did in my early 60's when I was a 'white van man' with Securicor Omega doing around 80,000 miles a year all over Britain without a single incident. 8-)
Well take a bow, well done you, Rubbish? If you had an old boy going down the wrong side of the motorway heading straight at you, you might think differently..cheers
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

For those of you in the General Paphos area, who have doubts about your driving ability of skill for whatever reason, look at these pages...

http://roadarcyprus.org/about-roadar-cyprus/

Over two years ago now I had a serious crash at the top of Polis Hill.. The car was a write-off and my wife was injured... As well as the car taking a heavy blow, so did my confidence in my own driving ability as I am now 76..
A good friend of mine recommended that I get in touch with Roadar Cyprus... I did so, and I had an assessment drive where the assessor made notes on what I needed to 'brush up' on...
I went on to have a series of lessons and then to take the advanced motorists test here in Paphos, and I passed it..
This of course improved my driving and my confidence in myself.. But just as importantly it improved my wife's confidence in me as a driver..

If you think they can help you, then get in touch with them, or PM me if you want to...
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 am For those of you in the General Paphos area, who have doubts about your driving ability of skill for whatever reason, look at these pages...

http://roadarcyprus.org/about-roadar-cyprus/

Over two years ago now I had a serious crash at the top of Polis Hill.. The car was a write-off and my wife was injured... As well as the car taking a heavy blow, so did my confidence in my own driving ability as I am now 76..
A good friend of mine recommended that I get in touch with Roadar Cyprus... I did so, and I had an assessment drive where the assessor made notes on what I needed to 'brush up' on...
I went on to have a series of lessons and then to take the advanced motorists test here in Paphos, and I passed it..
This of course improved my driving and my confidence in myself.. But just as importantly it improved my wife's confidence in me as a driver..

If you think they can help you, then get in touch with them, or PM me if you want to...
Great post Trev... thanks for sharing
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Trev, highly recommendable. I learnt to drive in a rural area, so when I moved to London I booked a 'lesson' with a Driving School as soon as I got there. No need for further instruction. However, I don't think I will drive again in the UK after all these years of driving in Cyprus!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I drive in the UK when we go there, and I have had no problems :-)
Trev..
josef k

Post by josef k »

I am a firm believer in a second driving test when individuals reach an advanced age.
People often compare older drivers with younger drivers in respect of their driving records. However, there is an important difference. Young drivers will have recently shown they can drive to the standard required by law, otherwise they wouldn't get their licence. The fact that they have a poorer driving record than other drivers is due to individuals making a choice to drive badly for whatever reason, often resulting in an "accident".
Older drivers may have shown they can drive to the standards in place decades ago, but may not drive to the standards required today. Any poor driving record on their part is not through choice, it's due to a lack of ability, for whatever reason.

In a few years time I will be in the age group where individuals would be advised to review their continued driving. If I'm not up to it (my wife will be sure to tell me) then I will stop.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

josef k wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:33 pm I am a firm believer in a second driving test when individuals reach an advanced age.
People often compare older drivers with younger drivers in respect of their driving records. However, there is an important difference. Young drivers will have recently shown they can drive to the standard required by law, otherwise they wouldn't get their licence. The fact that they have a poorer driving record than other drivers is due to individuals making a choice to drive badly for whatever reason, often resulting in an "accident".
Older drivers may have shown they can drive to the standards in place decades ago, but may not drive to the standards required today. Any poor driving record on their part is not through choice, it's due to a lack of ability, for whatever reason.

In a few years time I will be in the age group where individuals would be advised to review their continued driving. If I'm not up to it (my wife will be sure to tell me) then I will stop.
I totally agree with additional driving tests once a person reaches a certain age ……………… but regarding the rest of your post well??

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

So, Lizzie and Phil the Greek bojh photographed this week driving with no seatbelts. Phil after causing an accident.

I think they don’t have the nous to realise this simply puts another chip in the future of the monarchy, as people realise it’s one law for them and one for eveyone else.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Not often we agree, but here we do.

Drivers who have been prosecuted for not wearing a seat belt must be annoyed at least. No excuse, but the peasants have to pay for their sins, whilst apparently some Royals can do as they please. No-one should be above the law, no-one. Two women were injured in that crash, thank God the baby was unhurt, it could have been so much worse.

Having read reports from local people around Sandringham, it seems that Philip makes a habit of this way of driving, at his age, he should have to have a re-test at least. The police have 'spoken' to him, let's see if a prosecution follows !

Any bets ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As far as I have read, but who can trust the papers? He was photographed on a road within the Sandringham estate and the officer's admonishment was by phone.
smudger

Post by smudger »

I don't think I have seen any reports regarding him driving on public roads without a seat belt, but I may have missed it. Which may mean that he was driving on private roads within the Sandringham estate, which whilst not advisable is not illegal.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jacs

There are roads on Sandringham Estate which are open to the public, it would depend on if it was an actual 'private' road, purely for the use of the Royal Family and their staff, or one used by the public to shop, or to park and walk around. Why would the police 'speak' to Philip if it was a private road ?

As Devil says 'who can trust the papers' as I understood it, a witness to the accident said he (Philip) wasn't wearing a seat belt. One way or the other, the truth will out.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.