A short history lesson

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

A short history lesson

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I have never seen this brief explanation of what has taken place in the past but it gives a better insight than most I can remember and is or was quite complicated but an informative video.

Cherry345

Re: A short history lesson

Post by Cherry345 »

That was interesting, thank you for posting it.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

An interesting video. Very brief way of explaining what was a tragic sequence of events. It seems to avoid allocating blame.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I can clearly remember most of what took place from 1974 onwards as it was a nightly news event for a long time on all news channels but what took place in the lead up to 1974 I have only learnt from research and documentaries but this explanation video is as you say brief to the point and not bias in any way which is different to many that I have seen.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If it was all Greek before the middle ages, how come TC and GC DNA is more similar than GC and Greek DNA?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Maybe TC and GC intermingled a lot more than most were aware of - They do seem to sort of get on together even now and both sides seem to want a solution to the problem – Just makes you wonder what the real stumbling block is.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

When the Seljuk Turks moved into Anatolia from Central Asia a large part of Turkey was occupied by Greeks of the Byzantium Empire. As the Turks moved eastwards they assimilated the local people into their tribes because although they won battles there were not enough of them to hold the territory gained. This way their tribes became bigger and stronger and the bloodline became mixed, that is one of the reasons the Greek and Turkish Cypriots have similar DNA.
Another reason is that if you were Muslim you got better tax breaks so many locals converted to Islam.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, all thats true. But fact is that many Greek and Turkish Cypriots share mixed bloodlines. Virtually every army that passed theough Cyprus throughout history often enroute to other lands such as during the Crusades, and subsequently with each invasion of a different countries army’s left their mark on the locals and further mixed their DNA. Its fair to say that except during the Hellenistic period (pre Roman) Cyprus wasn’t being ruled by Greeks.
It is also a long way from Athens.
Dee