Dashcams again.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Dashcams again.

Post by JimX »

I have been trying to replace one of my cars dashcams, via Amazon De and Amazon UK, none will now send to Cyprus, I was told by an Amazon rep it was due to Cyprus law? has anyone else heard this? what I will have to do is send to a UK family member and pay to have it sent here, but for sure I have tried most on Amazon sites (apart from the US) none we ship out to Cyprus.
Jim.
trevnhil

Re: Dashcams again.

Post by trevnhil »

Have one sent to the UK address of RSS Logistics in Peyia. It will probably be free postage in the UK and
€5 or €10 to ship out here to collect in Peyia in a few weeks
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Both the above companies will sort you out. I use RSS myself as Andrea is easy to get hold of online, but I have used both in the past and have no complaints of either.

The Cyprus law statement seems a bit of a porky to me. There are issues with certain batteries, but that is a UK rule I believe.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I think I will ask my UK based family to send one out here, the Law comment is what the Amazon representative told me, they knew I was buying from Cy, and why I asked if anyone knew of this, just try buying one from Amazon.

thanks all.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oh I didn't mean you were telling porkies. I meant Amazon was. :)
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The problem is that certain types of batteries cannot be sent by mail from any EU country by law, whether in the device or separately. Amazon etc. play safe by refusing to send anything with batteries by post. Others may ignore the law but risk confiscation.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

By using either of the shipping companies mentioned above those rules / laws will not apply as the parcels come by boat from the UK to Limassol, and then on by road to the Paphos area
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It isn't quite as simple as that.

First of all, to avoid confusion, let's just state we are talking airmail rather than sea shipping. There are no restrictions on the sea shipping route used by RSS and LHUKCY.

Now, you can ship batteries by air, provided you use a courier with the appropriate license. I have had cameras shipped from both UK and China. I believe in Cyprus, only DHL has the appropriate license, though I could be wrong.
JimX

Post by JimX »

[quote=nholleran post_id=79718 time=1547627427 user_id=85]
jim.
I am coming over from the 17th March I own a house on the Tremithousa chorio developmentdont know if you know of it anyway if you want to send it to my address in the UK I would bring it over for you if you require me to if this of any help.
Neil.
[/quote]

Very decent of you Neil but I have now had one sent via Amazon to my UK family, oddly Amazon De (Germany) sends to the UK but not here, they must have been warned off, only explanation and why the Amazon rep said they cannot legally be sent here to Cy.

Thanks again, Neil.
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Bought my Dash Cam here. Not effected by the heat . Works perfectly. So in my mind is this question. Why do people order from UK/Germany? I am sure this is a simple explanation. :?
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am Bought my Dash Cam here. Not effected by the heat . Works perfectly. So in my mind is this question. Why do people order from UK/Germany? I am sure this is a simple explanation. :?
Suprise to me why people prefer all this hassle, when loads of shops sell the same items here, what happens if the item breaks down etc?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Maybe they prefer to import them a) because they are cheaper and b) because there is a much wider choice available, especially if they want them with GPS (recommended)
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Got one from AmazonDe as none of the local outlets or indeed local online suppliers had the device I wanted. In Cyprus only bottom end of market was available.
boycott

Post by boycott »

I think that someone bringing across somebody else's sealed package from the UK to Cyprus as their own personal items are leaving themselves very open.

Of course we all accept that JimX is an honest person and that the people that have offered to bring it over are honest people (Termites Dream and Neil) but think they would be very unhappy if customs found illegal items in the box and came out with the usual tale I was only doing someone a favour!

Wasn't there a mature couple arrested the other week taking a case(s) over to somewhere and the case was full of illegal drugs.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You can't buy the camera I wanted in Cyprus.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Problem is Amazon at the moment will not ship Dashcams to Cyprus, I agree the few models available in the Paphos area are older versions, I did find one at Public but as you say old type, I sent via Amazon De on Wednesday a new Dashcam to my family in the UK, it came next day to the UK and will be on it's way to Cy today, crazy situation Amazon!

Boycott we are not bringing in drugs just a few electronic items, electronics are not produced here and they do not make dashcams on Cyprus, they are usually imported from China or other countries, so why this cannot ship here by Amazon? The model I have just purchased was flown into the UK by Amazon De, no problem at all, why is it Cyprus is off limits to suppliers from abroad? it is just a crazy stupid situation, just maybe protectionism? I am not being cynical :) honest!
Jim.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I used to be involved in Supply Chain Distribution and may well be little out of date but generally the following should be close to the reality.
The batteries themselves will be classed as Dangerous Air Cargo and only limited quantities are permitted on passenger aircraft services.
Companies like Amazon will probably be shipping using the various freight only aircraft such as run by DHL and other air cargo operations which link the major European airport hubs. Many of these aircraft using the UK regional airports "out of hours". Those items then arrive in the various postal sorting centres or courier hubs for further distribution to the customer. When you order from Amazon DE it does not necessarily mean the item is in a store in Germany. The stock control systems might identify the same product somewhere in England maybe even at an Amazon warehouse near your UK address. Subject to the location of the distribution centre where your ordered item is held it might well be dispatched by road service and that is why you can get next day delivery from your order placed in Germany and delivery to a UK address.
I have tracked items originating from Amazon DE orders using various DE airport hubs such as Koln, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin, and other regional airports, then they might be routed via Malta, Rome and Athens before arriving in Larnaca. It's a complex business.
I used to buy in from the UK, items such as mini WIFI keyboards with installed Lithium batteries and was restricted to up to 2 items using the standard PO system, up to 4 items using a PO premium delivery service or pay for Courier air freight service and the extra costs that attracts.. Couldn't buy more than 4 on the same order.
It's a funny old game and a fair number of Amazon suppliers will not even deliver internationally. I guess that's as a result of too much going missing or being claimed as never delivered.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Yes, I do remember, although now I try via Amazon De to pay for faster delivery and it comes with a few days Via UPS not DHL who seem to think they are not paid to deliver door to door, they are in fact. This last few days I ordered a new Dashcam it arrived from Germany (via air freight) to our family's UK address within two days! it is now on the way to CY in a jet I guess. :)

Brom.

It's a funny old game and a fair number of Amazon suppliers will not even deliver internationally. I guess that's as a result of too much going missing or being claimed as never delivered.

Yes this is the case for some seller senders, but in the dashcam thread then something else is going on, I checked Amazon US they have no problems shipping out here, but the problem for us on Cy is you will normally get charged customs and duty from the US.

Also on your valid point about missing Amazon items, I have never had an item go missing once sent to Cyprus, I have had items that were never dispatched, always though fully reimbursed by Amazon.
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note, after brexit, bringing stuff over via the UK, might incur duty charges!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

WHL wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:13 pm On a side note, after brexit, bringing stuff over via the UK, might incur duty charges!
ARGGGGH Well done for letting HIC in with his normal remainers rhetoric. :roll:
All things are possible