OSYPA are no more!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: OSYPA are no more!

Post by trevnhil »

So, what is the present situation.. Are the buses not running at all today and for the foreseeable future ??
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Can you supply a link to the newspaper article please
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thank you for that ..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Here is the link from 'in Cyprus', with added information

https://in-cyprus.com/hopes-rise-for-en ... us-strike/
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

Just as an aside, I drive my granddaughter to school at ISOP each morning from Tremithousa, sometimes going through Mesoghi and Mesa Chorio, or sometimes the main road up to the 'basket roundabout' and sometimes coming back that way, depending on the time my princess deems to be ready to leave the house! Occurred to me today as I came back through Mesa Chorio/Mesoghi that I hadn't met the school bus at one of the ridiculously narrow, bendy turns, when I realised they were on strike. Sillyme!

Shame that it is affecting children, not that I agree with bringing children into political disputes ever, but mus be causing hardship to many families at this time,

Have to say though, I really don't miss coming face to face with a bus on a very narrow, twisty road - ever!
darrow

Post by darrow »

The Nicosia route was popular. People working , cheaper than petrol! It was also handy for people needing the hospital who needed to go for tests or to visit someone. The free bus, I was told, is only for cancer patients. Handy for Ikea too!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The free bus is run by Paphos PASYKAF and indeed is for patients to get to the Limassol and Nicosia hospitals
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

The Nicosia route was popular. People working , cheaper than petrol! It was also handy for people needing the hospital who needed to go for tests or to visit someone. The free bus, I was told, is only for cancer patients. Handy for Ikea too!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I thought that the Paphos to Coral Bay route was served by far too many buses. It was one every 10 minutes.
All things are possible
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Lincoln wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:03 pm I thought that the Paphos to Coral Bay route was served by far too many buses. It was one every 10 minutes.
In the summer season the busses were often standing room only!
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Some of the bus routes are very underused & it would be cheaper to pay for a taxi than the cost of running a regular bus service! Conversely, where services are widely spaced apart it hardly encourages useage!
smudger

Post by smudger »

Sadly, costs need to be cut according to the cloth available. The available cloth in Cyprus bus routes is sparse, and its successful and profitable cloth equally sparse. It's not possible to prop up the unprofitable routes without increasing the costs of the available profitable routes and this is a nettle which needs to be grasped firmly by whoever takes on the Cyprus bus service.
Costs must be covered, even if that means increasing fares - a pill to be swallowed by any prospective buyer. Simple accounting practice which any buyer needs to obey.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I would have though that an increase in the fares to €2 per single journey would have been well within peoples ability to pay
Trev..
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Or staggered fares of some description ………………………… at the moment you pay euro 1.50 whether you go one stop from the harbour or all the way to Coral Bay!

Shane