Parents urge kids to abstain from class to protest bus strike

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Parents urge kids to abstain from class to protest bus strike

Post by Paphos Life »

Paphos parents are calling on their children to miss the first two periods of school tomorrow in protest over continued problems in school transport.They said that although they respect the right of employees to pursue their demands, school children should not be victimised....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Parents urge kids to abstain from class to protest bus strike

Post by Dominic »

Sod that. Support the bus drivers.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

There you go Lloyd I told you had a friend for life.

If the bus drivers wish to strike and I have been told it is for a good reason then it is their rights to do so, this strike affects our family because we will need to pick up our grandchild, but I also know that if your only way to try and resolve workers problems then usually that is all you have, to remove yourself from your work, it can be hard as you get no pay of course and being this does affect children's ability to go to and from school then it will not be a welcome or popular way to fight your corner, some appear not to understand this never to have been in that position.
Jim.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Fully agree Lloyd and Hudswell. No one here is decrying the bus drivers right to strike, what we are all united in is the involvement of their children, this is wholly unacceptable.
Varky

Post by Varky »

There are different extremes of trade unionism. Cyprus trade unionism appears to have an extremely leftist slant, whilst in UK the trade unionist movement was decimated by Thatcher leaving workers rights without support, resulting in such as zero hours contracts, only one example of the unpleasant face of capitalism.

There should be somewhere in the middle that works for all.
smudger

Post by smudger »

No Varky, there are no different extremes of unionism. Trade unionism has one aim only, to disrupt managements right to manage. This is abundant in the rail unions in the UK at the moment. Unionism has totally lost its aim in protecting members rights and assumed the right to overrule management and to totally disrupt working practices.

God help the UK if Corbyn and his cohorts ever get into power, it will sure as hell be the death knell for the UK.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

smudger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 pm sure as hell be the death knell for the UK.
The death knell has already sounded with the total incompetence of the current bunch of politicians of all flavours. We should know on Tuesday ff. when the funeral will take place.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 am Jim, I fully support the bus drivers in their right to strike in furtherance of their demands to be paid on time.

However, I repeat that schoolchildren should not be used as political foot soldiers, whatever the dispute.
It might help if you clarified how schoolchildren were being used as political foot soldiers. Do you mean that the bus drivers, by striking, are using them, or that the parents, by getting them to miss the lessons at school, are using them?

If the latter, then I am in complete agreement with you.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Agree Lloyd and Hudswell, this is definitely the parents involving the children in this dispute, not the drivers.
Not acceptable by any standards.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pmIt might help if you clarified how schoolchildren were being used as political foot soldiers. Do you mean that the bus drivers, by striking, are using them, or that the parents, by getting them to miss the lessons at school, are using them?

If the latter, then I am in complete agreement with you.

I thought that was explained by the linked article in the OP:

"Paphos parents are calling on their children to miss the first two periods of school tomorrow in protest over continued problems in school transport".
Yes it was explained in the article. But not everybody reads the article.
JimX

Post by JimX »

[quote="Happy in Cyprus" post_id=79491 time=1547369550 user_id=378]
Jim, I fully support the bus drivers in their right to strike in furtherance of their demands to be paid on time.

However, I repeat that schoolchildren should not be used as political foot soldiers, whatever the dispute.
[/quote]

Believe it or not, those bus drivers have kids too, and yes they do eat food, they were not paid I believe before Christmas, And it is all bus services, not just school runs, most Cypriots will arrange school runs and pickups, I will be one of those. Personally, I wish those drivers all the best for getting what is due financially to them.

Jacs you post some drivel at times, also do not over worry about who gets in the government next, as they cannot be worse than the totally useless lot in now.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is the General Discussions Section. Please keep the language civil.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Well said. :)
JimX

Post by JimX »

Well said? what? :lol: he has no idea of having kids here. Those drivers I believe were not paid for their work before Christmas, if this was you how would you react? carry on working for nothing, if so you must be crazy, good luck to those bus drivers they are perfectly in their right to strike.

I have not missed the point Granville our grandson's mother has certainly not said this regarding missing school lessons, we will continue to drive him too and from his school especially in this awful weather.
Jim.