Gold.....!!!!??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Gold.....!!!!??

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It is not only gypsum crystals and quartz what one can find searching for treasures in our Paphos area... This nice specimen I found in an abandoned little mining area near Marathounta.

Max
Chaddy

Re: Gold.....!!!!??

Post by Chaddy »

When we moved over here some 16/17 years ago we brought over our metal detector.The first time we used it we where approached by an elderly Cypriot gentleman who told us very politely I must add, that anything historical found in Cyprus...….STAYS IN CYPRUS..We checked it out and yes he was right.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Pyrites...!!!??
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't know the laws. I would imagine beachcombing wouldn't be frowned upon but if you took one up near Kouklia or somewhere like that it would probably not go down well. We saw somebody using one in a field near Melandra once. That's about it though. I have only ever used our one in the back garden, trying to locate the elusive third opening to the septic tank.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Saw a man using one on Coral Bay beach a couple of months ago after most of the visitors had left.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The possession of detectors:

THE ANTIQUITIES (AMENDMENT) LAW, 2012
(English translation)

“(4) Any person in possession of detectors or other devices, without a
license in writing obtained by the Director of the Department of
Antiquities or/and who uses detectors or other devices within such
areas other than those that may be specified by the Minister by a
notice published in the Official Gazette of the Republic, shall be guilty of
an offence and shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding
three(3)years or to a fine not exceeding thirty thousand Euros
(€30.000)or to both such imprisonment and fine:

34.B The supply of detectors or devices in the
market, the license for possession and use
thereof by the Department of Antiquities, and
any other matter related to the discovery of
antiquities by the use of detectors or other
devices, shall be regulated by Regulations made
by the Council of Ministers and published in the
Official Gazette of the Republic.”.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:55 amPyrites...!!!??
Definitely not!

This is how pyrite looks:

Max
kansas

Post by kansas »

I started primary school in the Isle of Man and was allowed a lot of freedom for my age. I used to go out searching for iron pyrites thinking that it was gold, and I was crestfallen when I was told it was fools gold probably because I though I was being called a fool!
WHL

Post by WHL »

be very careful , its only allowed on a few beaches apparently,
https://cyprus-mail.com/2015/05/17/the-treasure-debate/
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:41 am It is not only gypsum crystals and quartz what one can find searching for treasures in our Paphos area... This nice specimen I found in an abandoned little mining area near Marathounta.

Max
Most probably a magnesium-rich vein polluted in iron oxides (or magnesite) on the matrix, judging by the luster and fracture shown in the pic!

George K.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 am
Most probably a magnesium-rich vein polluted in iron oxides (or magnesite) on the matrix, judging by the luster and fracture shown in the pic!

George K.
[/quote]

Here another photo from this specimen. To my knowledge is actually supposed to be Serpentite.

Max
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm To my knowledge is actually supposed to be Serpentite.
Would agree with your assessment - the rock looks like a serpentinite which is a hydrothermally altered ultramafic mantle rock. You can still vaguely recognise the original mineralisation consisting of mainly olivine and pyroxene.

The shiny mineral on top could very well be (cryptocrystalline) magnesite - it is a very common mineral in late veins where magnesium-rich hot brines circulate and fall-out (crystallise) when cooling down. I have very often encountered magnesite as vein-filling mineral or covered around the original matrix as in your specimen.

Magnesite is normally snow white - but tiniest impurities from any heavy metals can cause all sorts of colours. But then again, on the other hand, it could be a completely different mineral that covers your rock too :-) - that's geology for you, not an exact science...

A.

As often Wiki offers a reasonable overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentinite
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesite
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lofos-5 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:27 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm To my knowledge is actually supposed to be Serpentite.
Magnesite is normally snow white - but tiniest impurities from any heavy metals can cause all sorts of colours. But then again, on the other hand, it could be a completely different mineral that covers your rock too :-) - that's geology for you, not an exact science...

A.
Thank you Andreas, concerning Magnesite: where I found the "Gold Stone" was an abandoned small mine and there were large veins of the example piece you can see on the following photos. Could you confirm that it is Magnesite?

Max
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Another two nice specimen Max - you and George should open a shop or a show room!

Without touching the samples it is difficult to determine any mineral - but it could well be hydromagnesite (do an image search on Google).

A.
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:21 pm
Lofos-5 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:27 pm

A.
Thank you Andreas, concerning Magnesite: where I found the "Gold Stone" was an abandoned small mine and there were large veins of the example piece you can see on the following photos. Could you confirm that it is Magnesite?

Max

Wow the first photo is magnificent! The green mineral must be serpentine indeed, as you and Lofos-5 mentioned! The white beads I am guessing botryoidal magnesite or sulphur maybe? Does it break easily? Second photo is serpentine for sure!

Similar findings can be found in Akamas forest, where magnesium lies all over, I think in the past we were selling it as well (I heard so)!
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Lofos-5 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:42 pm Another two nice specimen Max - you and George should open a shop or a show room!

Without touching the samples it is difficult to determine any mineral - but it could well be hydromagnesite (do an image search on Google).

A.
Thanks Andreas! Ι must get this shop asap, as my wife gets angrier with every extra rock I bring to our appartment :)!
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Speaking of Akamas Max, i also found some of the most beautiful and rarest stones :

DSC03656.JPG
DSC03656.JPG (128.9 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
DSC03666.JPG
DSC03666.JPG (225.44 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
It is really a treasure resevoir up there..

George K.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Some good and interesting photos/specimens!

I agree with serpentinized ultramafic, and quite probably (hydro/)magnesite (best examples I have seen in Cyprus).

And the last one appears to be quartz, exhibiting a drusy covering on a primarily botryoidal form.

Just to be clear:
- Serpentine is a mineral, serpentinite is a rock dominated by serpentine.
- Pyrites has a range of appearances: finely granular to prominently macrocrystalline (and the crystals can show various habits, eg.cubes, pyritohedra); gold to silver coloured depending on other elements present in the FeS2 structure, eg. arsenic (and it grades into chalcopyrite and bornite, which add purple-red-blue to the spectrum).

In general one can't ID a mineral from a photo or just visually with your eyes; it needs consideration of density, hardness, microscopic examination of thin translucent sections (including use of polarized light) and maybe chemical tests. Macro-visual factors are important as well, eg. colour, lustre, crystal habit and form, and in many cases visual characters alone can allow the experienced geologist to make a good stab at an ID (hence my suggesting 'quartz' above). Other factors such as geological context, associated mineralogy and lithology, smell, phosphorescence can also help.
The whole issue of ID has an underlying complication: we may have simple names for minerals, but nature is rarely as simple. Many minerals have varied compositions, resulting in their appearances varying a lot. In some groups of minerals, one mineral may grade into another, so it can be very difficult to make a confident ID. Also, rocks are generally composed of more than one mineral, which can lead to confusing results when trying to use density, eg., as a determinant.
Much scope for debate!

//Mike
//Mike
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

MikeH wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm Some good and interesting photos/specimens!

I agree with serpentinized ultramafic, and quite probably (hydro/)magnesite (best examples I have seen in Cyprus).

And the last one appears to be quartz, exhibiting a drusy covering on a primarily botryoidal form.

Just to be clear:
- Serpentine is a mineral, serpentinite is a rock dominated by serpentine.
- Pyrites has a range of appearances: finely granular to prominently macrocrystalline (and the crystals can show various habits, eg.cubes, pyritohedra); gold to silver coloured depending on other elements present in the FeS2 structure, eg. arsenic (and it grades into chalcopyrite and bornite, which add purple-red-blue to the spectrum).

In general one can't ID a mineral from a photo or just visually with your eyes; it needs consideration of density, hardness, microscopic examination of thin translucent sections (including use of polarized light) and maybe chemical tests. Macro-visual factors are important as well, eg. colour, lustre, crystal habit and form, and in many cases visual characters alone can allow the experienced geologist to make a good stab at an ID (hence my suggesting 'quartz' above). Other factors such as geological context, associated mineralogy and lithology, smell, phosphorescence can also help.
The whole issue of ID has an underlying complication: we may have simple names for minerals, but nature is rarely as simple. Many minerals have varied compositions, resulting in their appearances varying a lot. In some groups of minerals, one mineral may grade into another, so it can be very difficult to make a confident ID. Also, rocks are generally composed of more than one mineral, which can lead to confusing results when trying to use density, eg., as a determinant.
Much scope for debate!

//Mike

It seems that we have another expert on board beside Andreas and George. Welcome !

Would you recognize from the following pics if both specimens are also serpentinite/serpentines. The one with the match box is on Harzburgite and looks like fossilized wood, the other one is from the same mine like the "gold-stone"... :?: and if you touch it feels like asbestos or soap stone.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Is this like your white one Max?

I have seen similar in sulphur mines surrounding pyrite, but that stuff disolves to the touch whereas this stuff withstood the scrubbing brush I just used on it.

No green stuff though.

There was a lot of this white stuff where I found it.

Stop me if I am getting too technical. :)

huh.jpg
huh.jpg (130.78 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.