School Athletics - Medical Approval

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

School Athletics - Medical Approval

Post by Dominic »

Our daughter represents her school in athletics. Before her first race, we were told she needed to get a signature from a doctor for her health passport. NB: this is what I call the little bit of card the school gave her. I don't know its official name. Anyway, a doctor is supposed to look at her, and sign that she isn't going to collapse if she races.

We went to one of the private hospitals, and she wound up with a full health check including blood tests etc. Now, we appreciated the information, and have no quibble with that, but given that it cost us money, I was wondering how you go about getting the less formal check. I am amazed that a signature from three months ago is not valid now, but the system is what it is.

So has anybody else had to get one of these signatures for a child?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: School Athletics - Medical Approval

Post by Dominic »

Ours is at the ISOP too. Does your grand-daughter compete in inter-school races? It only comes up when she has to race against other schools. It wasn't needed for sports day.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Nothing like this for my son in the Greek School. He takes gymnastics (PE) as a main subject. Having said that, I see the merit in it but difficult for a standard doctor to know that there isn't anything more major wrong with you without doing the checks as mentioned.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Perhaps it is because our daughter does cross country and middle distance running then? To be honest it all sounds bizarre to us, however it is something we need to have. When our daughter digs it out of her bag I will photograph it so you can see what I am going on about.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

The requirement to have a Health check from a Dr to participate in any Sport event or any Organisation which receives government funding from KOA which is effectively the Cyprus Olympic Committee who sponsors/runs sports on the island has been around for some years. They do not want litigation from people participating in events who might in the worst case drop dead from a heart attack, or quite simply sue because they twisted an ankle whilst out running. This pretty much applies to all sports from Football to Golf. How rigidly it is enforced is another matter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So, do you have to get it from the hospital, or is there another way? She doesn't need a blood test or anything, and it shouldn't cost anything.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's what I was trying to avoid. I just find it bizarre that a full screen with blood test done a couple of months ago and dated 2016 / 2017 doesn't suffice.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Well I guess common sense would say that medically, with children certainly, things could change rapidly. But, how would a doctor who doesnt really know the child know any different? But can some basic, rudimentary tests gaurantee to reveal any underlying serious problems? I'm not undermining the tests which were done, far from it, but it surely could only ever be a means of the school and/or the organising body attempting to absolve themselves of any liability? And a liability which could still go unknown and undetectable by basic tests. And a bit like a set of accounts, is only ever truly relevant on the actual day concerned. But at a guess, would be used to mitigate any responsibility of the school or the organisers.

My granddaughter is at ISOP too and has hyper mobility syndrome (double jointed, meaning her joints may dislocate), which I always declare on every medical related form under the sun. It has never caused a single solitary incident in her life so far, but ten to one, if I didn't declare it it would be the single major cause of any major incident!

Do I just hate ticking boxes!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well I finally got it done. The original card went through the washing, so it's continued suitability was no longer relevent as it was now a pile of mush. So we got a new blank one from ISOP, took it to Blue Cross, and they knew exactly what to do with it. Our daughter was seen by a doctor who gave her a quick examination and signed the card. Didn't cost a bean. This compares very favourably to the other Private place we took her to that charged us and gave us much more than required.

So, in future, who do you think we are more likely to use for our more expensive requirements, Blue Cross or the other one?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic

If you need in future only blood tests I recommend Olympia Laboratory in the old Town,
instead going to a Private Hospital. They have p.e. Special Health Check Offer
only for 50 euro which includes most of the important blood tests. After a couple of hours you get your result. I was robbed
once in one of the other Private Hospitals (perhaps the same you went) and payed
nearly 400 Euro for full blood and urine test. Some of the results one could throw
away as the tests were after my breakfast which they even did not ask...only money making