Oreites Wind Farm

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Oreites Wind Farm

Post by Dominic »

When you are out exploring the countryside of Paphos, it is always handy to have a few prominent landmarks to help guide you home. One of the most prominent is the Oreites Wind Farm. We visited it a few days ago, as we want to show you what it looks like close up. We will also show you some shots we took several years ago, when they were still constructing it...

Read the article and chat about it below...

oreites-wind-farm_masthead.jpg
oreites-wind-farm_masthead.jpg (94.92 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Re: Oreites Wind Farm

Post by mike strand2 »

It was in 2009 or 10, that my family came out on holiday and on a day out to the hills, we were stuck right behind one of the turbine 'heads' on a low loader crawling along the road to Dora at 2mph & absolutely no possibility of passing!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

It's a great pity that Cyprus is a country where wind energy can never be viable. The average annual output from all the wind farms in the country is 12 to 15 percent of their capacity. The breakeven point where a wind turbine becomes just viable is 30 to 35 percent of their capacity. In Scotland and Denmark, some turbines are working at over 50 percent of their capacity and a few offshore turbines may even reach 60 percent.

When you see the letters RES on your electricity bill, think of the wind turbines that you are paying for!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The Wind Farm is my main view to south-east and 15 km away. I got hundreds of pics in my gallery and love it when the sunrise in winter is just behind the area...
Interesting blog, specially the photos from the huge parts before they were assembled...

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

That looks on fire Max!!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This pic is from this morning, just to show how vast the east-west extension of the whole wind farm is...(ca 7 km) and if it was not provided Government's land there would have been no investor interested. It was the Government's idea to show EU a large project to avoid penalties in the first place, but in the meantime without the wind necessary to run that wind park efficiently, even the EU realized the blunder. Luckily this situation was leading to the decision of the Government (and pressure of the EU) to allow so called net-metering in Cyprus in order households can produce their own electricity with solar modules on their property to reduce the costs of electricity bills in a big way...

Max