Struggling to find a rental home

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Robert

Re: Struggling to find a rental home

Post by Robert »

Thanks so much for the help so far. From the recommendations both directly and via PM we now have 3 viewings set up for tomorrow. We also have had some calls and fired off some emails in response to those. Still not there but feels like a bit of progress where in the last 3 days it's felt like our wheels were spinning - I suspect stress of being homeless, new environment, us probably not being clear enough with the agents we contacted as well as the ones we did contact being a bit average.

Our thinking has been to sign up for a 12 month long term rent to make sure Paphos is where we want to be. In previous trips to Cyprus we've looked at prices of homes to buy to make sure we had enough before I semi-retired but we just didn't think getting a rental would be difficult so spent no time on it. Nicely demonstrates the never assume mantra. In hindsight it's pretty obvious - why rent long term when you can make 'twice' as much renting by the week to holiday makers.

I know this approach is inefficient as the money we have set aside for a home purchase is getting 1.5% in a savings account while the yield on the rentals will be 5-6% but I think that small loss will be worth it. We've tried to research in advance but unless you truly live somewhere just don't know from my previous experience so I don't think I could leap directly into a purchase.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Not an inefficient approach at all, it’s a big step moving your life out here, always a good idea to dip your toe in the water first! When we came over we were looking for a long term villa rental in Chloraka, Kissonerga or Tala areas, but we took an apartment in Mandria while we searched, after a couple of months ended up moving into a villa round the corner from the apartment and in our third year of living here are very happy - strange how things work out.

Hope your viewings are successful and you find somewhere in time to hang your Christmas deccies up!
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Coming out on holidays is totally different to moving, you have approached this in a sensible way by renting before buying
you could find the area you had your heart on living is not the place you wish to put down permanent roots.
Hope you have successful viewing for your rental.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We rented before we bought, but we found a property to buy within the first two months anyway. However, had we not found that property, it was nice to know we still had a place to rent. The key thing is that you make the right buying decision when you are ready to make it. Renting first gives takes away the necessity of having to find a property. You can now concentrate on finding a property you love.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Robert

Post by Robert »

I'd just like to express my sincere thanks to all those that offered help/advice on this thread and via PM's. We have settled on a lovely home in good condition in Kamares which should hopefully be a good first step in helping us make sure Paphos is for us. Next I find out how much electricity costs to run a small private pool without solar panels... Not close to the sea but beautiful sea views which will hopefully make up for it a little.
Last edited by Robert on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am glad that you got sorted Robert..
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

You set off looking for somewhere within walking distance of the beach with a communal pool and ended up with neither :lol:

Well done for being flexible enough to look at other options!! :D
J B
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

That’s great news’s just ensure that the T’s and I’s are crossed
I’ve akways found that Ruth Hatfield, Solicitors to be open and honest......
EMMAFUDGE

Post by EMMAFUDGE »

Hi

If you are really struggling we have a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom ground floor apartment on Limnaria Gardens which we would be able to rent you short term until you sort something out - Its fully furnished, but we only tend to rent it out on short term through to the end of October/November so if you need something short term until you have sorted long term out give me a shout - I am not in Cyprus but I can give you all the details of the lady who manages it for us.

Kind regards
Karen