Struggling to find a rental home

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Robert

Struggling to find a rental home

Post by Robert »

Well we're in Paphos and it all begins. We have medical insurance for my wife sorted but I'm being delayed while I wait for a standard procedure medical report before they'll finalise a quote. We have also found a car with Andy Phillips. Just want to sleep on it before doing the deal.

Where we are struggling is finding a long term rental. Having now settled a little the better half has decided that a priority is to be able to walk to the seaside for daily exercise which sounds good to me as well. We're happy to be pretty much anywhere between Kato Paphos and Polis. We're happy with a 2 bed apartment / townhouse and would like a communal pool. It needs to be reasonably modern inside. Our budget is up to €800 per month although ideally I don't want to stretch that far.

So far we found one in Kato Paphos Paradise Gardens which was lovely except the bathroom was absolutely trashed and another nearby which was clearly a holiday apartment as it had no bench space in the kitchen.

In trying to contact companies they either no longer exist or what they show online is not available.

Is our budget realistic?
Can anybody recommend a letting agency they've successfully used?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Struggling to find a rental home

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I personally know Susan and Kleanthis, Directors of Mr.Rent, as excellent and friendly agents....(you can mention my name if you want, Robert)
http://www.mrrent-paphos.net/about/

Max
Robert

Post by Robert »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 pm I personally know Susan and Kleanthis, Directors of Mr.Rent, as excellent and friendly agents....(you can mention my name if you want, Robert)
http://www.mrrent-paphos.net/about/

Max
Thanks Max. One of our first points of call was The Property Shop as they have been positively mentioned on PL previously. Unfortunately they only had a few rentals available and nothing which was within walking distance to the coastal paths or that wasn't a a LOT above our budget.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Hi Robert
We moved over to Cyprus at the end of September and contacted a website called onlinecyprus.com, the house I called them about had gone but they found us a different house which is great and actually better than the first, I think your budget is more than enough as we are paying 750 for a very large house with a pool, although we are not near the beach, I did call a few others and they did all get back to me but for the life of me I can't remember which sites they were, but I found them just by googling long term rentals Paphos, although I do agree a lot of the rental sites are not updated, but hopefully by calling round some of the agencies they will find you something, and check out onlinecyprus as they were really helpful.
Hope that helps a little bit...and welcome to Cyprus...by the way did you bring the rain with you lol.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

If you are on Facebook this seems to be the best place for looking for rentals or actually going to the rental offices because not all properties are advertised on websites and many are not updated regularly. Just up from Kato Paphos harbour there are a few rental agents. A good free newspaper called Paphos Post also has a rental section and Papantoniou supermarket is one place where you can get it.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Robert

Post by Robert »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 pm Did you try Bazaraki? https://www.bazaraki.com/real-estate/ho ... ct-paphos/

Max
I haven't Max. I'm a little nervous for my first rental of not going through an agency. Want to make sure I don't sign a dodgy contract or lose my bond etc. Am I being overly concerned here in your view?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Cherry345 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm Hi Robert
We moved over to Cyprus at the end of September and contacted a website called onlinecyprus.com, the house I called them about had gone but they found us a different house which is great and actually better than the first, I think your budget is more than enough as we are paying 750 for a very large house with a pool, although we are not near the beach, I did call a few others and they did all get back to me but for the life of me I can't remember which sites they were, but I found them just by googling long term rentals Paphos, although I do agree a lot of the rental sites are not updated, but hopefully by calling round some of the agencies they will find you something, and check out onlinecyprus as they were really helpful.
Hope that helps a little bit...and welcome to Cyprus...by the way did you bring the rain with you lol.
Thanks Cherry. Looking at their site they have some relevant stuff but it's showing as rented. I'll take your suggestion and call them tomorrow though.

Funny you mention the rain. When we came in there was lightning over the Paphos runway so we circled off the coast for circa 2 hours. Even there it was pretty rough and so the flight ended up with a lot of very 'green' people on board by the time we landed.
Robert

Post by Robert »

galexinda wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 pm If you are on Facebook this seems to be the best place for looking for rentals or actually going to the rental offices because not all properties are advertised on websites and many are not updated regularly. Just up from Kato Paphos harbour there are a few rental agents. A good free newspaper called Paphos Post also has a rental section and Papantoniou supermarket is one place where you can get it.
We did go into West Coast which seemed to be the only ones with long term rentals. Am I in the area you were thinking?

Thanks for the Paphos Post hint. Are the ads direct with owners or through agencies? As mentioned to Max a little nervous of dealing direct.
jeba

Post by jeba »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/gr ... p_activity
Gabriele Boegershausen‎
to
Zypern-Marktplatz
1 hr ·
For long term Rent
€690
Peyia, Paphos, Cyprus

Our charming bungalow in Upper Peyia is for rent from February. It has three bedrooms, 1 bathroom with large shower, 1 guest toilet, Aircondition. A large kitchen and a very spacious living room, and a large dining area with great views of the sea, Peyia over to Pafos. The bungalow is partially furnished. Pets allowed. No Pool. The rent is 690 €. Only long-term. For further details and interest in photos please PM
Robert

Post by Robert »

jeba wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 pm https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/gr ... p_activity
Gabriele Boegershausen‎
to
Zypern-Marktplatz
1 hr ·
For long term Rent
€690
Peyia, Paphos, Cyprus

Our charming bungalow in Upper Peyia is for rent from February. It has three bedrooms, 1 bathroom with large shower, 1 guest toilet, Aircondition. A large kitchen and a very spacious living room, and a large dining area with great views of the sea, Peyia over to Pafos. The bungalow is partially furnished. Pets allowed. No Pool. The rent is 690 €. Only long-term. For further details and interest in photos please PM
We need somewhere in the next week unfortunately.

That said we initially didn't go as far inland as Peyia but are starting to think we will need to if we are to find a nice place to live vs holiday. We went to a development today with a big triangular pool to look at a town house. Not near the sea but I think if we lucked out on close to the sea we would have gone for it... Except I was able to experience the much discussed barking dog problem. We waited 30 minutes to see the frequency of barking and I swear it didnt stop. As its in a hollow the echo was magnificent...
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

I would recommend Mr Rent and 800 for a 2 bed apart is more than enough. I would say that 500 is adequate.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Robert welcome to you new life in Cyprus

When looking for a long term rental I wouldn’t actually tell the agent the max amount you can afford only what type ofapartment you are looking for and the areas you prefer
I would also be careful what is or not included in the rent also enquire if there is actually a management committee running the complex
Some rentals are inflated at present due to supply and demand
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Welcome to Cyprus Robert..A little tip maybe,,where ever you decide,check your prospective neighbours out at different times of the night and day for barking dogs...Most members will agree it can be a little problem here....except those who own barking dogs of course.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I gave up trying to find a decent 2 bed apartment to rent. Some nice ones were about but the rents being asked were inflated, otherwise nothing available which was decent at a sensible price. In the end I decided to buy. Prices for 2 bed townhouses and apartments are much more realistic and there is a much better supply of properties available. I am buying a 2 bed townhouse with title deeds and with lovely sea view in Chlorakas on a well managed complex with communal swimming pool...
Maybe an option worth considering if you are planning to stay here and have the funds.
Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

And on complexes, check if the rent includes the complex fees, if the landlord expects you to pay that it can be as low as €60 per month or as much as €100 per month. Also check that the pool is in operation as some have been shut down due to licencing issue.
David
lotus

Post by lotus »

Hi Robert,unless your definitely want close to beaches have you tried some of the villages out of town? I don't mean the likes of Peyia or Tala but further afield,rental there is probably near half of town,chosen carefully the small villages are lovely with beautiful walks,friendly locals etc and its never that far to drive to the beach
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Robert wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 pm Did you try Bazaraki? https://www.bazaraki.com/real-estate/ho ... ct-paphos/

Max
I haven't Max. I'm a little nervous for my first rental of not going through an agency. Want to make sure I don't sign a dodgy contract or lose my bond etc. Am I being overly concerned here in your view?
A lot of large agents are also on the Bazaraki site...Robert

Max
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

If you widen your area try visiting Mandria, all houses are within walking distance of the sea and village has some good tavernas, good supermarket nearby etc. or slightly further from the sea but only a few minutes drive is Anarita or Timi. All are near the motorway so access to Paphos is good.

How about looking on Air bnb or one of the holiday villa sites, as we’re now into winter some owners may consider a lower rental than their summer rates? I know someone with an apartment in Mandria on Airbnb and she has let her apartment out for a four months period. Agree with another post your budget is very good, we pay less than that for a villa with private pool. There are a couple of holiday villas on our street, if you are interested PM me and I’ll get their contact details for you

Or ask around in the tavernas, in our village a good time to visit is mid afternoon when a small group of expats get together - and they always have their finger on the pulse of the village gossip, if you get my drift ....
WHL

Post by WHL »

In my opinion, do not think of buying until you have been here for at least a year, i've seen a few expats, change their minds about living here after the initial buzz dies, Cyprus is a small place, and many get bored after a while, also most only visit in the summer months, and then find out it's cold in the winter, etc etc .. coming on holiday and living here are a lot different, rent, then explore the different towns this will give you a better idea on whats right for you, and after a year you will know if you want to live here or not, good luck..