Higher road tax, for newly registered cars..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Higher road tax, for newly registered cars..

Post by trevnhil »

Some cars registered after this bill becomes law will have to pay a higher road tax..
https://in-cyprus.com/news/local/cabine ... emissions/
Trev..
Kili01

Re: Higher road tax, for newly registered cars..

Post by Kili01 »

Wow, the Govt plans to hit the motorist with a more powerful petrol engined car and not cars which are diesel fuelled. In marked contrast to the UK which is trying to discourage the use of highly polluting diesel fuel. Here taxis , many Mercedes and diesel fuelled large engined passenger vehicles will escape most or even all the extra charge, unless they are belching exhaust fumes. That’s if I read the OP correctly..
Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:51 pmIn marked contrast to the UK which is trying to discourage the use of highly polluting diesel fuel.
It´s very much open for discussion whether diesel engines are worse polluters. E. g. their CO2 emmissions are much lower and according to what I understood others can be dealt with using e. g. particle filter systems.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Diesel engines produce Nitrogen Oxide and soot.
Diesel Particle Filters can take care of the soot but the filters can clog up if the vehicle only drives around towns and cities and the cost of having these filters cleaned is expensive.
Nitrogen oxide can cause respiratory illnesses, cigarette smoke contains NOx, people living in large towns and cities are at high risk especially children.
David
Andy01424

Post by Andy01424 »

well thats gonna hurt some Cypriots in there old crates,so what they thinking ones who cannot afford a new car going back to donkeys?,guess this does not apply to 4x4s hilux etc.Mind you in UK Gov are hitting Hybrids soon VED rises if,they cannot do 100 mile on battery power with out recharge then there getting hit on emission form Petrol engine part
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Andy, the ' Old Crates' should be alright. I think you maybe missed this.
" The new road tax system does not apply to already registered vehicles but to new or second hand cars which will be registered after the bill is approved by the House. "
Trev..
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

lets hope you are correct as my vehicle is used only during the summer holiday season and is now 12 years old and laid up at the airport until April
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mike, click on the link, it is in the article..
Trev..
Paul

Post by Paul »

I work in MPG.
When I had a 1.3 petrol car in the UK it would do around 35 mpg around town.
And up to 50 mpg on a long run at around 60 mph at 3000 rpm.
You might thing that’s good!

Then we got a 1.5 diesel car and are getting 50 mpg around Paphos.
Then on a long run say to larnica airport it can hit 70 mpg at 70 mph no problem running at 2500 rpm.

If you look at the numbers and ask yourself which car is giving out the most pollution?

And yes we brought the diesel here from the UK.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can see that point, but I doubt if the increase would be enough to stop the sale of a new vehicle..
But I suppose it is possible.. Every little helps, or hinders as the case may be ..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But Newly registered ... second hand vehicles
Trev..
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

trevnhil is right, the key point is if your vehicle is already registered then things will not change! But if, for example, you bring a second hand car over from the UK and register it then you could pay more road tax?

Shane
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

ApusApus wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:35 pm trevnhil is right, the key point is if your vehicle is already registered then things will not change! But if, for example, you bring a second hand car over from the UK and register it then you could pay more road tax?

Shane
Yes that would seem to be the case Shane
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:41 pm The point I was trying to make was that those with 'Old Crates' will be even less inclined buying a second hand vehicle therefore keeping their old crate on the road for years longer.
But wouldn't a second hand car already be registered here ??
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, but if you read the link the tax will apply to new and used petrol engined vehicles if they are sold and re registered to the new owner. The Govt’s aim is clear to raise more money in tax, but by picking petrol engined cars they are not upsetting most taxi owners who usually have diesel engined Mercs! Or the many owners of diesel enginned pick up and twin cabs, or the farmers...
Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

This is how I read it.
The first table is tax on petrol cars as of now, the second is the new charges for next year, and the third is a charge that will apply to cars imported into Cyprus and newly/first registered.
David
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I thought I'd understood this, but after reading a few comments earlier in the thread, now I'm no so sure.

I'd read and interpreted the comments "The new road tax system does not apply to already registered vehicles but to new or second hand cars which will be registered after the bill is approved by the House.", and the final table, to refer to 2nd hand cars imported from abroad and registered here for the first time to be in scope of the new scale of fees, but NOT applicable when a transfer of ownership is done for a car already registered here.

Is that right? If it applies to transfer of existing then if I sold my 1997 Rav4 I use for pottering about the village, the extra payment over and above annual road tax would be €2,000 and thousands of people would have their cars rendered worthless overnight and no no incentive to change as they have no PX value and can't afford a brand new low emission car. Perhaps when I change the other car this year, I'll PX the the Rav4 to qualify for the no road tax for 5 year deal and flog the €59 a year Qashqai to the lengthening queue of people after a 2nd hand car with low running costs!

I can't see anything about the new rates applying when re-registering, only when registering for first time in a country.

So Table 1 = Now
Table 2 = New rates for brand new cars from date the bill is passed
Table 3 - New scale of rates (based on age) of one off payments for cars brought into Cyprus previously registered abroad but being registered here for the first time

Am i overthinking this??

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I certainly took it to apply to the first registration of a car in this country..
Trev..