Not only for owners of PV net-metering systems.. CMail

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Not only for owners of PV net-metering systems.. CMail

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Interesting is the attached article in todays CY Mail where EAC obviously finally recognizes that Cyprus... "has the highest solar power potential in the European Union, but currently imports most of its energy."

All this years in the past EAC made it difficult for people, interested in installing photo-voltaic systems. Applications to EAC were not only delayed to process, but also lost in their offices hindering Investors to the point that they had enough from the idea to produce electricity from RES. Only some locals with good contacts to the Gov. were able to proceed. If the EU was not pushing them to go ahead, to allow net-metering systems, otherwise there will be severe fines, we would not have that either. Thanks God for that!

So here the article from guest columnist Armenakis, working at EAC...
https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/11/25/impr ... y-sources/

Max
trevnhil

Re: Not only for owners of PV net-metering systems.. CMail

Post by trevnhil »

I think we have had our PV system for about 3 years now. But the application was done by the installer Solar-Tec. I only had to sign the application in their offices, and again at the EAC offices..
We are still very pleased that the by monthly bills are just over €30, whereas before they were sometime around €400 for two months
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm I think we have had our PV system for about 3 years now. But the application was done by the installer Solar-Tec. I only had to sign the application in their offices, and again at the EAC offices..
We are still very pleased that the by monthly bills are just over €30, whereas before they were sometime around €400 for two months

I gave Green Air Ltd power of attorney to sign the applications for me, so I had not even go to EAC.... I signed only the paperwork when the inspector arrived at my premises to give the green light and switch the system on.

Max
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I have final installs taking place this week. Green air dealing with all aspects
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:23 pm I have final installs taking place this week. Green air dealing with all aspects
Welcome to the club, Jim, before EAC is closing the scheme eventually. All people also interested in PV net-metering better hurry up.........
(from EAC website:) Net Metering System
According to the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism's announcement dated 08/08/2016, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, accepts applications as of August 22 2016, for the new scheme of Net Metering "Solar Energy for All" – July 2016, until completion of the limit of total power of 20MW.

Max
Robert

Post by Robert »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:44 pm Welcome to the club, Jim, before EAC is closing the scheme eventually. All people also interested in PV net-metering better hurry up.........
According to the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism's announcement dated 08/08/2016, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, accepts applications as of August 22 2016, for the new scheme of Net Metering "Solar Energy for All" – July 2016, until completion of the limit of total power of 20MW.

Max
Do you know how many MW are currently installed Max?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Robert wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:50 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:44 pm Welcome to the club, Jim, before EAC is closing the scheme eventually. All people also interested in PV net-metering better hurry up.........

Max
Do you know how many MW are currently installed Max?
Sorry Robert, but I cannot tell you. Average installation size is ca 4 kWp, so 5000 installations since 2016 would be the limit EAC allows. As more and more people install larger than 5 kWp (until 10 kWp) not much time will be left until the scheme closes.

Max
Robert

Post by Robert »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:18 pm Sorry Robert, but I cannot tell you. Average installation size is ca 4 kWp, so 5000 installations since 2016 would be the limit EAC allows. As more and more people install larger than 5 kWp (until 10 kWp) not much time will be left until the scheme closes.

Max
I intend to rent for 6 to 12 months after we arrive just to make sure Cyprus is for us. After that we'd look to get something more permanent so I hope the scheme lasts for some time yet...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I did the calculations and reckon that 12 months ago, the time to repay the investment, for me, was 6 years.

With the rise in electricity prices since then and likely more to come, then the period will likely reduce to 5 years. I am a heavy user over 2 villas, rented out for around 35 weeks a year and with obviously lots of aircon and pool use.

It means a RoI of 20% - something you couldn’t get in any bank!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Robert wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:26 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:18 pm Sorry Robert, but I cannot tell you. Average installation size is ca 4 kWp, so 5000 installations since 2016 would be the limit EAC allows. As more and more people install larger than 5 kWp (until 10 kWp) not much time will be left until the scheme closes.

Max
I intend to rent for 6 to 12 months after we arrive just to make sure Cyprus is for us. After that we'd look to get something more permanent so I hope the scheme lasts for some time yet...
In case it is too late after 12 month you have still the option to install a solar pool pump (if you have a pool of course) for which you don't need any permit from the Authorities....As a pool pump is next to air-con the biggest consumer of electricity in a Cypriot household you can say you have your own island system producing electricity.

Max
robf

Post by robf »

One thing that is usually missed out when doing payback calcs is including the savings for electricity you are not importing. We have panels in the UK and they paid for themselves in just over three years (4kw set up). I would expect Cyprus to be better. Cost of installation was circa £5000. I get approx £800 per annum from fit payments and a similar sum from not importing energy from the grid. In the UK the government estimates you export 50% of energy generated, so if you are using all the electricity (Aircon etc) then you are doing well.