Weather Forecasts - Your opinions please

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Weather Forecasts - Your opinions please

Post by Dominic »

Weather Underground are closing their free API at the end of the year. So we will no longer be able to have weather forecasts on the website.

Two questions:

1. Do any of you actually ever use the Weather forecast and weather matrix on the website?
2. Do any of you use online alternatives to Weather Underground for getting weather information?

I'm happy to lose the weather functionality if nobody uses it, but if it does get used I will be happy to look for alternatives.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Re: Weather Forecasts - Your opinions please

Post by ApusApus »

I don't use the forecast or matrix on the website but go directly to the Weather Underground site. If that free service disappears then I will probably revert back to using Accuweather.

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't think they are killing off their own website. Just charging sites for the api feed. Not cheap either.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Dominic

I use the site weather forecast and also accuweather. I cross check in the possible hope if one is predicting thunder (lightning) storms the other will not and be right!!! Like smudger I rush for cover (wartime bombing raids) pathetic I know but please dont remove the warnings.

Rita
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I don't use the weather forecasting on the site.. but instead use Windy.com that covers the whole world.
As it's name implies it opens up with the forecasted wind.. But it shows sunshine and rain etc when you type in any location..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Rita Sherry wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:14 pm Dominic

I use the site weather forecast and also accuweather. I cross check in the possible hope if one is predicting thunder (lightning) storms the other will not and be right!!! Like smudger I rush for cover (wartime bombing raids) pathetic I know but please dont remove the warnings.

Rita
That's all I needed to hear Rita. If somebody says they use it dozens more lurkers do too. I shall start concentrating on looking for alternatives.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I mainly use Accuweather as it is more accurate than the other forecasts. In times were thunderstorms are happening I go with this website:

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightnin ... php?map=14 where I can update by clicking on >real time maps > dynamic size

Max
Boxsterann

Post by Boxsterann »

I also often use check the forecast to see whether rain/gales are forecasted.
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Even though I am in the UK I look at it every day. My daughter called me weird yesterday!!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I use Wunderground, but usually directly from their site.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

I use my phone apps to check the weather.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have 10 weather stations that I can refer to. Each in slightly different areas of the Paphos region. Including one for Dust, one for Lightening, one for Earthquakes. Having said that most of the time I look out and make a decision according to the Clouds.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 pm Weather Underground are closing their free API at the end of the year. So we will no longer be able to have weather forecasts on the website.

Two questions:

1. Do any of you actually ever use the Weather forecast and weather matrix on the website?
2. Do any of you use online alternatives to Weather Underground for getting weather information?

I'm happy to lose the weather functionality if nobody uses it, but if it does get used I will be happy to look for alternatives.
Dominic the forum member Devil has his own weather station, could you not use his info? being based near the center of Cyprus, im sure hes predictions won't be far off.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Most of the time I tend to use the weather matrix on the website.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:01 am Dominic the forum member Devil has his own weather station, could you not use his info? being based near the center of Cyprus, im sure hes predictions won't be far off.
Thanks for the plug :) I wasn't going to mention my efforts because we are in the centre of Cyprus, a little less than a hundred kilometres, as the hooded crow flies, from Paphos and our microclimate means that there will be discrepancies between our forecasts and those specifically for the Paphos region.

We now have three weather stations in Mosfiloti, one of which is entirely solid-state (no moving parts for rain, wind direction and wind speed!) At the moment, I am using this station as a basis for the weather forecasts, which are updated every three hours. Of course, I have to rely on international sources to know what weather is coming from afar and also to know what is happening at different altitudes right up to the tropopause.

Forecast for: Mosfiloti
Updated: Friday, 23 Nov 2018 09:00

Today

Mostly cloudy to cloudy in the morning, becoming cloudy in the afternoon. Patchy light fog in the morning. A slight chance of rain in the morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Scattered thundershowers possible. High 16°C. Wind east-northeast around 2 m/s in the morning, becoming 3 m/s in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 40 percent. Precipitation mostly around 2 mm.
Tonight

Partly to mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming mostly clear after midnight. A slight chance of rain. Low 10°C. Wind north-northeast around 4 m/s, gusting to 7 m/s. Chance of precipitation 20 percent. Precipitation mostly less than 2 mm.
Saturday

Sunny. High 18°C. Wind north-northeast around 5 m/s, gusting to 9 m/s.
Saturday night

Clear. Low 4°C. Wind north-northeast around 3 m/s.
Sunday

Sunny in the morning, becoming partly to mostly cloudy in the afternoon. High 20°C. Wind north-northeast around 2 m/s in the morning, becoming south-southwest in the afternoon.
Sunday night

Partly to mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming partly cloudy after midnight. Low 11°C. Wind south-southeast around 1 m/s in the evening, becoming north-northeast after midnight.
Monday

Partly cloudy. High 22°C. Wind north around 1 m/s in the morning, becoming south-southwest in the afternoon.
Monday night

Mostly cloudy to cloudy in the evening, becoming cloudy after midnight. A slight chance of rain after midnight. Low 15°C. Wind north-northeast near calm. Chance of precipitation 20 percent. Precipitation mostly less than 2 mm.
Tuesday

Partly cloudy. High 23°C. Wind south-southwest around 1 m/s.
Tuesday night

Partly cloudy in the evening, becoming partly to mostly cloudy after midnight. Low 13°C. Wind east around 2 m/s.

Every effort has been made to ensure this forecast is as accurate as possible for both values and timing of events. No responsibility is taken for possible forecasting errors. Users are advised to confirm the forecast before using it for critical applications.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:01 am
Dominic wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 pm Weather Underground are closing their free API at the end of the year. So we will no longer be able to have weather forecasts on the website.

Two questions:

Dominic the forum member Devil has his own weather station, could you not use his info? being based near the center of Cyprus, im sure hes predictions won't be far off.
Actually the weather can vary tremendously around Cyprus. Often recently it has been tipping it down in Polis and Polemi but dry in Paphos and Panagia.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

I don't use the site weather info as like many others I go direct to the weather site. I also have a place in Southern Italy and when there I only use Accuweather as Weather Underground is useless at forecasting Puglia weather.
Recently I have noticed that certainly for my area of Cyprus, Weather Underground now believes we are way up in the hills and is endlessly forecasting rain that never comes near the coast. So I now use Sat24.com >Europe>Israel and watch the rain in real time missing the location mark of Paramali and racing passed to the west or east or indeed not at all.
I know everyone, I must get out more !!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:57 pm Actually the weather can vary tremendously around Cyprus. Often recently it has been tipping it down in Polis and Polemi but dry in Paphos and Panagia.
Not just around Cyprus but everywhere in the world. What you mention is very typical where there are thunderstorms or even without thunder. Where showers occur is absolutely impossible to predict, not even with the Met office's super hyper super-computer. The problem is that we can calculate how much water is being held by the clouds but there is no way of forecasting where, when or how much of it will fall because it may require only a minute disruption, such as a little smoke, to trigger a shower. The only thing we can predict reasonably accurately is that local showers will occur over a wide area.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well I have registered for an API with Accuweather. Now to work out how to use it...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 pm Well I have registered for an API with Accuweather. Now to work out how to use it...
How I use it:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/world-weather

then click on Paphos > See hourly (which opens the next 4 days as well as the hourly forecast where I also can click on: next 8 hours... which is mostly very accurate.

Max