Cyprus Driving Licence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Cyprus Driving Licence

Post by Lincoln »

I have collected my new Driving Licence today at the Paphos Post Office-Citizens Service Center. Thats me for another three years.
A fortnight ago I had the medical at Blue cross Clinic. Took the form to the C.S.C at the post Office. She filled in the form for me whilst I was there as it was all in Greek. Two weeks later I got a text asking me to collect it :D
Last edited by Lincoln on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible
smudger

Re: Cyprus Driving Lecence

Post by smudger »

Just some things here are exemplary!!!
smudger

Post by smudger »

Contrarily, I was in the bank today, paying Bookshop cash in for Paphiakos and drawing cash out for myself. (Not the same account I hasten to add!!)

I was asked for my passoirt number - didnt have it, but a) have used this account for about 8/10 years and (b) the cashier checked my passbook and said 'here it is'. I have since I took out this account renewed my passport at least once, but hey, if this is the extent of their checks that's fine by me. Do worry about the Oligarks though!!

I would add that I was simply withdrawing funds from my pensions which are paid into this account regularly each month. As they have been for several years! It's the security that worries me!!!
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

That's really surprising as the banks all now have a policy of updating personal information every 3 to 5 years including copies of passports/ID etc. The Hellenic recently put 10,000 accounts on hold due to not getting a response from account holders to these requests - many in UK. The bank told me this when asking for a client who's account had been suspended and said it is now routine every 3 years.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
smudger

Post by smudger »

Jeanne, if I'd been asked I would have updated my passport info quite readily any time, point is, I was never asked!! Until today, when I didn't have it, don't make a point of carrying my passport around! So the number the bank had must have been seriously out of date! But heigh, no queries. Thankfully, I was doing nothing wrong, simply withdrawing funds from my pension deposits.
Still worry about the Oligarks though!.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Yes, Lloyd, I still use my long-expired Cyprus ID card, too.

The ID number is the one I was allocated when I first registered with immigration 14 years ago and it still appears on my MEU3, my title deeds and my Cyprus driver's licence. It's what Cypriots mean if they ask for your "tavtotita" and is as useful and permanent as the UK National Insurance number.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

smudger wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:00 pm Jeanne, if I'd been asked I would have updated my passport info quite readily any time, point is, I was never asked!! Until today, when I didn't have it, don't make a point of carrying my passport around! So the number the bank had must have been seriously out of date! But heigh, no queries. Thankfully, I was doing nothing wrong, simply withdrawing funds from my pension deposits.
Still worry about the Oligarks though!.
I always keep important numbers in the 'contacts' on my phone...
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Easy to take a photo of your passports and likewise keep them on your smartphone.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Ha ha! What smartphone??
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

smudger wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:22 pm Ha ha! What smartphone??
Before very long, it will be impossible not to have one!
smudger

Post by smudger »

Probably not in my lifetime Mike! I'm 75 now, so I'll happily carry on with my basic Nokia. I have a pc and an iPad, I Just need a phone to make calls and send texts. Everything else is covered.

If it ain't then it can just pass me by😁 I'm done with technology!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Always thought the licence would expire the day before your birthday, but if you apply early for your licence (as advised by the CSC) then it expires on the day before you make your application. Happened to a neighbour when his Cypriot driving licence came up for renewal a few weeks ago.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

What ever you do, do not wait until your UK licence has expired. The Cypriot Authorities then have to contact the UK licence people and this leaves you without a licence for a few weeks
Trev..
chris&pam

Post by chris&pam »

Went to the Citizens Service Centre yesterday to collect paperwork for licence renewal (70 next month) and was told can apply for new licence up to 59 days before due date. Did query the number but assured that was correct - 59 days. Off for eye test.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha... Although it is six years ago, now I applied to change my UK licence to a Cypriot one, and I applied with all the forms and medical certs just 21 days before my Birthday..
I happily got my new Cypriot licence.... for 21 DAYS..
I had to get new medical certificates and new forms an reapply nearer my birthday....

No one even said to me, "wait for another 3 weeks and you will get a licence for 3 years"...

Hopefully...... things are better now..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Also, remember to give your car insurance company the details of your new driving licence.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That's a good tip, because they usually photocopy it and keep it in their files.
Trev..
Polly

Re: Cyprus Driving Licence

Post by Polly »

Chris&Pam

Where are you getting the eye test?

I understood that if you went privately for a medial for the driving licence the doctor took care of the eye test. Otherwise it was to go to the General Hospital and see the optician, or is it the eye doctor doctor there, for which I think you have to make a appointment. Probably for the private doctor as well and how long do you have to wait for either appointment?

I am a bit confused about getting the eye test. Can someone please advise?

Thanks
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have only had a separate eye test when I had the medical form completed at the General Hospital and that was over 6 years ago.. For the two most recent renewals at age 73 and 76 I have used a private doctor. One did an eye test.. and one didn't do one.. But both times the medical form was filled in, and accepted for renewal of my licence..
Trev..
tonee

Post by tonee »

My wife saw GP at the General last week and was advised to get an appointment with the Optician there.This she did.Next available appointment......June 2019!