Pay Road Tax for Previous Years How?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mike J

Pay Road Tax for Previous Years How?

Post by Mike J »

My neighbour has returned to Cyprus after an 8 year absence during which time his house has been rented. In the garage he left his Ford Focus Estate.
He had no idea that you could SCORN the vehicle here in Cyprus but now wishes to get the car back on the road.
The car has now started but how does he go about paying all the back tax and getting an MOT and which come first ? Is there an issue also with driving without an MOT and road tax to get them done and in another chicken an egg question can he get insurance until he has paid the back tax and passed the MOT ?
Cheers, Mike
Uncle D

Re: Pay Road Tax for Previous Years How?

Post by Uncle D »

No point in insuring the car until back tax has been paid, suggest he goes to the ministry of transport.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

http://cyprusdriving.net/road-tax-circulation-licence/

Pop into the Transport office, they will tell him exactly what he needs to do
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

He will have to pay the back tax for the eight year period. I had car in a bonded warehouse for two years and had to pay the two year back tax.
It may have changed though I read one of the reasons people won't scrap their old bangers and claim the government money is because the road tax has to be up to date or SORN available.

Jim
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

A friend of mine was in a similar situation recently when he went and checked to see how much tax was due
he discovered the vehicle had been scrapped off the system and he paid no back tax
garry
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

garry&jill wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:21 pm A friend of mine was in a similar situation recently when he went and checked to see how much tax was due
he discovered the vehicle had been scrapped off the system and he paid no back tax
garry
If the car car was scrapped off the system, doesn't that mean that the car is no longer registered?
David
holitec

Post by holitec »

Hi,

If you go to road transport and see the supervisor in the back office, he can give you a form to take to the court to declare the vehicle has been off the road. You then return the form back to road transport to get the tax cancelled, but last time I went in there was a rather large pile of completed forms to be processed.

HTH

Digby