Remembrance service

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
William Morris

Remembrance service

Post by William Morris »

At the fort in Paphos harbour.

Who went??
Last edited by William Morris on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memory man

Re: Rememberance service

Post by memory man »

I didn't...…………

We went to the Remembrance service in Peyia.
RattyPatty

Re: Remembrance service

Post by RattyPatty »

I did. First time. Well attended. Told there were 2,500 people there. I will probably get a lot of stick for what I am about to write. I was disappointed. I wish I had known that I was going to a concert. I thought I was going to a memorial service. Prior to the "show" actually starting we were treated to pop songs. Michael Jackson being one I recognised. Inappropriate. Finished with Chris Andre blaring out. The bagpipes were very moving.

Had I known I would have timed my visit to just before 11.00 am when the service proper started.

My feeling was that it was not solemn enough. I wanted to leave but couldn't do so without being disrespectful.

Am I on my own here with my feelings.

Pat
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Husdwell, ...the classical singer was Judith Evans-Davies, who is also 5he owne4of Paphos Post.

I agree with all of the sentiments expressed. In m 60 years ofgoing to these services, this was the best I’ve ever attended in terms of content and balance.

Just a wee niggle.......

In terms of the recognition and support for not only the fallen from the home country, and those who came from the 15000 Cypriotswho camr tohelp, and 5he 30000 in WW2, was sorely disappointed by5he quality o& the bugler. The Last Pos5 was full of mistakes, split notes, and generally not 5he respectful performance I’d hoped for

Surely, with2 garrisons deployed in Cyprus, and Paphos being one o& thekeylocations - 2500 people attending.....couldn’t w3have been blessed with someone who could play the bugle properly.

Being a life long’Brass, player, it was ....disappointing

CL
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

The Bugle is tough to play and the Buglers can get affected by the occasion.
Just yesterday prior to the Crystal Palace v Spurs game at Selhurst Park the Last Post and Reveille were played by a lone bugler from one of the Light Infantry units.
The occasion obviously got to the guy who struggled in the rain to get his first few notes out. The cameras zoomed in on him and you could see his eyes were welling up and fair play to the director who panned away from him onto other subjects.
I really felt for him and fair play he kept going and at the end he visibly breathed a huge sigh of relief.