Anastasiades says decentralised powers create feeling of security for T/C

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Paphos Life

Anastasiades says decentralised powers create feeling of security for T/C

Post by Paphos Life »

President of the Republic Nicos Anastasiades explained on Tuesday that decentralized powers in a Cyprus settlement create a feeling of security for Turkish Cypriots, put an end to Turkey's excuses to maintain guarantor and intervention rights and addresses the concerns ofGreek Cypriots for functionality and viability of a solution....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Anastasiades says decentralised powers create feeling of security for T/C

Post by Devil »

Bla! Bla! Bla!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:01 pm
Devil wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 amBla! Bla! Bla!
I agree....and until the Pres can guarantee the Human Rights of the TC community, and communicate that effectively to them....this country is not going anywhere. Stop the rethoric, stop the preaching, stop the teaching put the past behind you. The Generation in "Power" and those who support them cannot forget, cannot forgive and seem to have no real passion for reunification, it's the youth of today, given the chance that will bring this beutiful island back together.
You fail to mention the guarantying of human rights of all Cypriots, by Turkey ...but that’s nothing new,in your one sided posts :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm
Devil wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 amBla! Bla! Bla!
I agree....and until the Pres can guarantee the Human Rights of the TC community, and communicate that effectively to them....this country is not going anywhere. Stop the rethoric, stop the preaching, stop the teaching put the past behind you. The Generation in "Power" and those who support them cannot forget, cannot forgive and seem to have no real passion for reunification, it's the youth of today, given the chance that will bring this beutiful island back together.
You fail to mention the guarantying of human rights of all Cypriots, by Turkey ...but that’s nothing new,in your one sided posts :roll:
There's no need for that comment. There was nothing wrong with Hudswell's post.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It’s a shame that people like WHL have that attitude. It helps to ensure that there will be no solution. The ironic part of preventing a solution and eventually possibly a total partition of this lovely island is that many people who have land and property in the north will continue to be unable to use them. Surely disputes about these very things are what needs to be solved, but for that to happen a proper and fair solution and settlement needs to be found which will benifit all people. But that would entail some degree of compromise.
Just a pipe dream it seems.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Hudswells post only mentioned the Presidents guarantees for the Turkish, Cypriots human rights and I said he should also ask for Turkeys guarantees re all Cypriots human rights,
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm It’s a shame that people like WHL have that attitude. It helps to ensure that there will be no solution. The ironic part of preventing a solution and eventually possibly a total partition of this lovely island is that many people who have land and property in the north will continue to be unable to use them. Surely disputes about these very things are what needs to be solved, but for that to happen a proper and fair solution and settlement needs to be found which will benifit all people. But that would entail some degree of compromise.
Just a pipe dream it seems.
Dee
My attitude is a balanced view, a fair solution for All Cypriots, not for Greece or Turkeys interests, reading your posts, I surgest you take a look at your posts re Cyprus, before playing the blame card.
Last edited by WHL on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 am
Hudswells post only mentioned the Presidents guarantees for the Turkish, Cypriots human rights and I said he should also ask for Turkeys guarantees re all Cypriots human rights,
So your beef is with the president then, not Hudswell.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:50 am

No Dominic, my beef is with Hudswells saying the President ( of which I am no fan) should guarantee the Human rights of the Turkish Cypriots, while failing to mention, that Turkey should also guarantee the human rights of the Greek Cypriots... if an agreement, is to be found...but sadly the present day leader of Turkey wouldn’t know what human rights are if it slapped him in his face,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 am
No Dominic, my beef is with Hudswells saying the President ( of which I am no fan) should guarantee the Human rights of the Turkish Cypriots, while failing to mention, that Turkey should also guarantee the human rights of the Greek Cypriots... if an agreement, is to be found...but sadly the present day leader of Turkey wouldn’t know what human rights are if it slapped him in his face,
The article is about what the president is saying. It isn't about the whole conflict. Do you seriously expect every angle to every issue to be covered by every post when talking about things? That would result in huge, boring posts which nobody would read.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hudswell, your last post of last night seems to sum up the whole situation in Cyprus very well.
The GC’s need to reflect on their history (the real events) of what happened between 1963 and ‘74 to try to understand that the T.C’s and also the 2 and 3 generation of Turkish settlers will place a premium on guarantees of security for their people. However much they would like a proper settlement. They are still a minority numerically here on the island.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Turkey is 30 minutes away from Cyprus and it wouldn’t take Turkey long to reinvade the island, if Turkish Cypriots we’re threatened in any way in a united Cyprus, no this is a red herring, Turkey does not want a united Cyprus in. Any shape or form
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:44 pm Hudswell, your last post of last night seems to sum up the whole situation in Cyprus very well.
The GC’s need to reflect on their history (the real events) of what happened between 1963 and ‘74 to try to understand that the T.C’s and also the 2 and 3 generation of Turkish settlers will place a premium on guarantees of security for their people. However much they would like a proper settlement. They are still a minority numerically here on the island.

Dee
You again are being selective when you talk about the real events in Cyprus... Eoka wanted union with Greece, The UK did not want Enosis, and set about a divide and rule policy, the Turks got Denktash to do their dirty deeds, ie bombing up Turkish Cypriots and blaming the Greek Cypriots for this, Denktash admited Killing his own people. ( he was interviewed many times and admited this) To achieve an end .. Ok so the real events are all three sides have blood on their hands no one can take the moral high ground,, the first step is for all sides to apologise, and work towards a united Cyprus demilitarized a small country like Cyprus does not need any armies,
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 am
WHL wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 am

The article is about what the president is saying. It isn't about the whole conflict. Do you seriously expect every angle to every issue to be covered by every post when talking about things? That would result in huge, boring posts which nobody would read.
Point taken.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:22 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 pm
Kili01 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:44 pm Hudswell, your last post of last night seems to sum up the whole situation in Cyprus very well.

Dee
You again are being selective when you talk about the real events in Cyprus... Eoka wanted union with Greece, The UK did not want Enosis, and set about a divide and rule policy, the Turks got Denktash to do their dirty deeds, ie bombing up Turkish Cypriots and blaming the Greek Cypriots for this, Denktash admited Killing his own people. ( he was interviewed many times and admited this) To achieve an end .. Ok so the real events are all three sides have blood on their hands no one can take the moral high ground,, the first step is for all sides to apologise, and work towards a united Cyprus demilitarized a small country like Cyprus does not need any armies,
I do not think I have ever read such a mishmash of "facts" taken out of time and out of context to justify an argument...you really should do your own research on why the island is where it is and not rely on your Greek Cypriot friends. But I do agree, one of the first steps is for both sides to admit fault, acknowledge history, and move towards reconciliation.
All three players in the Cyprus conflict have blood on their hands,, not mish mash, it’s well documented, I speak to both Greek and Turkish Cypriots, real Cypriots who speak the truth. And both condem what their sides did...you say both sides should acknowledge history. Yet you fell to mention Britain’s roll in all this.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Following independence of Cyprus in 1960, Britain was no longer the Colonial power. Cyprus and the Cypriots had their own Constitution and a new government composed of Greek Cypriot (President) Turkish Cypriot Vice President and a cabinet composed of both Greek and Turkish Cypriots, in the ratio which corresponded to the size of their respective communities. Also the Ministers were drawn from both ethnic groups. Unfortunately, this power sharing arrangement only lasted for 3 years before things went wrong,
The British no longer in power, retired to their SBA’s. When the troubles started inevitably the police were drawn into protecting the British forces and their dependants. When Turkey finally invaded in 1974 the British Forces weren’t involved and were as far as I know not given orders to do this. They protected their own areas, apart from Berengaria which was invaded. The British bases also took in numbers of Greek Cypriot families fleeing from the Turkish forces.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:30 pm Never let the facts get in the way, when you can make it up to suit you...blame everyone but yourself.
Why should I blame my self ..I wasn’t here from 55/60 Britain was so was EOKA and the Turkish para military’s ....google it you might learn something... clue that’s when the Cyprus problem started :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Britain does have blood on it's hands with regards to the Cyprus problem. So did the US To say otherwise is to go against historical evidence. I've read in numerous places how Britain stirred up trouble between the two sides.

Here's one account:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4632080.stm

To find out WHY, read the bit at the bottom:
Britain had, and has, electronic listening bases on the island - important parts of the Nato intelligence effort.

Nicos Koshis, a former justice minister, thinks that it was those bases that determined the fate of the island: "It is my feeling they wanted to have fighting between the two sides. They didn't want us to get together. If the communities come together maybe in the future we say no bases in Cyprus."
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:21 am
WHL wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 am
Hudswell wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:30 pm Never let the facts get in the way, when you can make it up to suit you...blame everyone but yourself.
Why should I blame my self ..I wasn’t here from 55/60 Britain was so was EOKA and the Turkish para military’s ....google it you might learn something... clue that’s when the Cyprus problem started :roll:
A little advice, stop listening to your Cypriot mates at the coffee shop, and do a little independant research into the history of Cyprus, because you, are part of the problem, you view the "problem" from one side only, and not only one side, a section of that side who are so bitter and twisted that a solution will never be achieved, who to be brutal simply need to pass onto and allow the youth of this country to take control, and sort their mess out.
Hudswell your the last person I would ever take advice from re the Cyprus problem, unlike the bitter and twister people from all sides, from which I include yourself, I have an open mind I often speak to Greek/ Turkish Cypriots/ British people who lived through those events, and the unblinkered fair ones will admit all sides carried out nasty deeds, that contributed to the Cyprus tragedy... so I know it’s imposible for you to admit to Britain having committed torture and murder, like the other two sides, but it’s a well documented fact.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 am Not impossible at all..there is some evidence that suggests that British forces "interrogated" EOKA terrorists to excess, I would never deny that. Your problem is, like many "Old School" Cypriots will always blame the "big boy threat ran away", sorry but the situation we are in now is down to one and only one participant in this tragedy, the Greeks, Cypriot or otherwise...Again, Turkey did what they were entitled to do, and with just reason...they should have left, they didn't..which brings shame on them. This station will only be solved by future generations, those that are felt the hatred or felt the need to victimise and terrorise a minority of their countrymen.
Hudswell your spin on the events is no different to the Greek fanatics you like to bash, I guess that’s what being brainwashed from any military regime does for all sides, but no matter how many times you spin it.... it’s well documented what really happened. You still only bash the Greek side, yet you fail to say anything re Denktash bombing up his very own Turkish Cypriot brothers, as to cause strife and anger between the two communities .. so please spare us the lectures, you aren’t any where near being an honest broker were the History of Cyprus is involved....I can’t add anymore to this debate, ..for anyone one else reading this and wants to gat a more balanced view google has much on this to read.