Police launch traffic light campaign

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Police launch traffic light campaign

Post by Paphos Life »

Police launched a week-long campaign on Monday on traffic lights, to stamp down on those driving through red lights and creeping over lines.This will be the sixth such campaign this year, police said, as part of efforts for the prevention and reduction of road accidents, but also raise road safety awareness among drivers.The campaign will continue until Sunday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Paul

Re: Police launch traffic light campaign

Post by Paul »

Here is one to think about.
Fit a smart speed bump where the white stop line is.
Set it up so when the light is green it is flat.
When the light turns red its raises up so if you go through a red light you hit the bump.
And make it big enough to bounce there false teeth out!
http://smartbumps.com/
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This campaign is not before time! Sometimes the way some people behave at traffic lights in Paphos (and probably elsewhere too ) can be incredibly dangerous.Apparently there was a very bad smash at about 7.30 am last Saturday at the lights near the HQ of the EAC and enterance to Butcher Boy Rd, so someone who saw it told me.. Apparently the area became chaotic with bits of cars all over the junction, then the emergency services were there with fire engines, police and Ambulance. Queues of waiting traffic too.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I always tell people I pick up from the airport about the GARRA traffic light etiquette here if they are driving :

Green means go;
Amber means go faster because you need to beat the red light;
Red means go if there is no reason not to .......... and there are no police about;
Red Amber means stop because somebody is coming the other way who is trying to beat his red light and will probably t-bone you in the process!

Shane
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Wish they would have a campaign on driving in the correct lane at roundabouts. Once again today, after travelling up the new airport road to the roundabout with the B6 and a taxi cm off my rear bumper, he tried to get past me by using the left hand lane, but could not do so as a twin cab was also in the wrong lane, and going very slowly. I was completely blocked and, for safety sake, went round the roundabout again, even though I was the only vehicle in the correct lane when we entered the roundabout.

Read the new laws on bicycle riding which came into force on the 1st November. Now need lights on all the time. However, the police cyclists down at the harbour did not have theirs on. Neither are they in high vis clothing, which I think is a must in Cyprus with the bright sunlight.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm Wish they would have a campaign on driving in the correct lane at roundabouts. Once again today, after travelling up the new airport road to the roundabout with the B6 and a taxi cm off my rear bumper, he tried to get past me by using the left hand lane, but could not do so as a twin cab was also in the wrong lane, and going very slowly. I was completely blocked and, for safety sake, went round the roundabout again, even though I was the only vehicle in the correct lane when we entered the roundabout.
Don't know what you are complaining about really, that's par for the course? ;)

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

Agree John. Having to traverse the newish 'basket' roundabout to get to and from ISOP 4 times each day I fear for my life on it. I swear the traffic coming up the Mesoghi road from the town believe they have the right of way when approaching the roundabout. Some fool in a twin cab managed to stop literally inches from my front near side as I was exiting the roundabout to get back to Tremithousa a couple of weeks ago. My expletive deletives ascertained the usual Cypriit shrug.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, but it is already a hell of a lot better than it was 10 years ago. Wehn we first started visiting Cyprus the red lights were seen as only advisory. It was good-natured anarchy.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Once had a punch up with a driver who jumped the lights, caused us to slam the brakes and just missed him by the skin of our teeth, I managed to catch up with him at the next lights, got out, he got out punches were thrown, and unluckily for him, a couple of Cypriots who witnessed what happened, waded in on my side, he apologised,and he got back in his car and drove off, that was thirty years ago , very scary as I had my wife and kids in the car... I still double check before moving off at lights,.... I think big fines and losing the car for a period is the only way to make people think about jumping lights.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm Wish they would have a campaign on driving in the correct lane at roundabouts. Once again today, after travelling up the new airport road to the roundabout with the B6 and a taxi cm off my rear bumper, he tried to get past me by using the left hand lane, but could not do so as a twin cab was also in the wrong lane, and going very slowly. I was completely blocked and, for safety sake, went round the roundabout again, even though I was the only vehicle in the correct lane when we entered the roundabout.

Read the new laws on bicycle riding which came into force on the 1st November. Now need lights on all the time. However, the police cyclists down at the harbour did not have theirs on. Neither are they in high vis clothing, which I think is a must in Cyprus with the bright sunlight.
The road markings on that roundabout traveling from Geriskipou on the B6 towards the airport are rarely used correctly either. Left lane is marked for left turn and right lane straight ahead and turning right. Lost count of the number of times I’ve been cut up by vehicles in the left lane but going straight ahead.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

It is all down to education. If they are not taught the correct procedure then they just use there own ideas.
All things are possible