Sad, Sad Day

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Rita Sherry

Sad, Sad Day

Post by Rita Sherry »

Quite a few of you from Cyprusliving may recall my taking in a cat named Skippy whose owners were relocating abroad. Well today Skippy sadly crossed the Rainbow Bridge after over 11 years giving me pleasure and companionship. Unfortunately she developed cancer in her right front paw (she already had a short leg from birth at the back on the same side hence the name Skippy) which was inoperable and made her dependent on the use of just two legs on the left side which I have to say she coped with doing with remarkable fortitude and tenacity. What is it about animals that has them coping with whatever comes their way? - remarkable. However it was clear she was eventually not coping so well and the decision had to be made. So at 9 am this morning she quietly slipped away with the aid of her Vet. To say I am sad is an understatement but I look back to all the good and happy times we shared together.

I give a very big thank you to Cynthia of the Farriers Cattery in Kouklia who accompanied us today and for all the care she gave Skippy when she stayed at the Cattery over the years.

Rita
Ams

Re: Sad, Sad Day

Post by Ams »

I'm sorry for your loss Rita, I know exactly what it feels like. Take care x

Ams
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

So sorry, Rita XXX
Hold on to the happy memories but be prepared for the tears they may still bring for years to come too.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

My heart is also breaking for you Rita. XxX

Maggie B
JimX

Post by JimX »

Rita well done you for looking after Skippy, we lost two last year, one through cancer, and the other to passing car, we still feed six so if you want another please contact me.
Jim.
Biddy

Post by Biddy »

So very sorry. Our beautiful springer spaniel crossed the rainbow bridge on Monday so I understand exactly how you are feeling. It’s a joy to own and love a pet but heartbreaking when the time comes to say goodbye
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Sorry to hear your sad news. It’s really heartbreaking to lose a much loved pet but remember the happy times together & the fact she was lucky to have a good life with someone who cared.
smudger

Post by smudger »

So sorry to hear this Rita. I too have been there and it was one of the most wretched days of my life. My thoughts are with you; focus on the good times, the pleasure she brought you and the good life you gave her.
Jacs x
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

It always breaks my heart to lose my cats and I always think I will never replace them and I never do. But, one always comes along and fills that loss with a totally different personality. You will find another to steal your heart 🐾 X
smudger

Post by smudger »

Rita- if/when the time comes I almost always have kittens in residence. But I'm pretty sure as Lloyd indicates that a cat will find you rather than the other way round. Be prepared, it will catch you unawares. X
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Rita

I'm sorry and saddened to hear about Skippy, she had the best home ever. I too have felt your pain, and only time heals that leaving heartfelt memories. Take comfort in knowing that you gave her the love she needed, that she knew it, and loved you in return.

You can never replace a beloved pet, but you can help another unloved neglected soul.

Thinking of you.

Jackie x
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I am so sorry to hear your news. Losing a beloved pet is such a horrible thing. My condolences to you x
smudger

Post by smudger »

So right V!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

So sorry Rita.

Rita I only know you via your posts, but because of that, if I was reincarnated, it would be my pleasure to come back as your cat.

You are a gem.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

So sorry to hear your sad news. Thinking of you.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

I would like to thank all of you who have sent me messages of sympathy for my loss of Skippy. The messages are so heart warming and much appreciated by me. It has been along day and it is so quiet in the house although she never made a noise as such. I hear what some of you say regarding cats finding owners and can confirm I believe that is true because my friend in London with whom I stay when in the UK has had all her cats over the years who just turned up on her doorstep (they knew a good home when they saw it). At the present time I cannot contemplate a replacement cat and I also have to consider any other cat will in all probability outlive me which I felt Skippy would have done had she not developed cancer.
She was a beautiful little girl and a bit of a poser, hated getting her fur wet when it rained and almost demanded I towel her down - in fact she was in charge here at home. I was beside myself on Tuesday as she had been outside the previous evening on the patio just lying around but when I went to get her in she was nowhere to be found despite my searching and calling her. I slept on the sofa that night with the light on and only the fly screen covering the door because she could always open that with her paw. Next morning still no Skippy and despite searching the neighbourhood I could not find her and, frantic with worry, I thought the worst but around 4pm she just turned up as if nothing was amiss but was very tired and went to bed repeating the same all day Thursday i.e. sleeping. Then this morning we went to the Vets to keep her appointment and now she is no more and it hurts like hell.
I have every sympathy with those of you who have recently lost your beloved pets and am sure you are feeling as badly as I am so try to be brave we did our level best to care for them I am sure.
So once more thank you all very much for your kindness and understanding.
Goodnight All and God Bless.

Regards

Rita
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Oh Rita. ❤
X
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sorry for your loss Rita, but at least you had a chance to say goodbye. Chin up. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

Very sorry Rita. I was in the same situation a while ago. It’s awful, but I had to accept it was for the best. Tough.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

So sorry about Skippy, Rita. You talked about her often and we feel we knew her. Stay strong. xx

Ruth and Alastair xx
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum