Advice about getting to Ercan Airport

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Oxfordboy

Advice about getting to Ercan Airport

Post by Oxfordboy »

I'm going to be flying out of Ercan for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure of the best route. I live in Argaka so I'm tempted to cross over at Kato Pyrgos and take a shorter distance but slower drive as opposed to going via Nicosia. Anyone got practical experience of this route?

Alternatively, could anyone tell me how long it would normally take to go through the Nicosia border by car (i.e. is there usually a queue)?

Malcolm
PW in Polemi

Re: Advice about getting to Ercan Airport

Post by PW in Polemi »

Apparently at the Strovolos crossing, there is usually a queue these days, probably caused by people crossing over to buy their fuel there as it is about half price in comparison with here.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
tonee

Post by tonee »

Hi
Living in Argaka,if I was you I would cross at Pygros,head for Morphou then pick the fast dual carriageway right down to the Ercan turnoff.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Many thanks both for the info. Think I'll also try and buy the insurance in advance just in case!
kansas

Post by kansas »

Good idea to try to get the insurance in advance. We went through on a Sunday and had to phone in advance to make sure the insurance guy was available to come out.
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note, after Brexit, there might be changes on who can come/leave through Ercan?, and enter the Republic.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:57 pm Why, can't Russians visit the North?
Non EU citizens cannot enter through an illegal port of entry, and cross over to the Republic.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:03 pm Thanks for that, I wasn't aware. But that won't stop us crossing to the North and Back?
No one said you won't be able to cross over and back, what might change is UK citizens crossing over after they have arrived in an illegal port..... as they will not be EU citizens any more.

.Legal Points of Entry
The legal ports of entry into the Republic of Cyprus are the airports of Larnaka (Larnaca) and Pafos (Paphos) and the ports of Larnaka (Larnaca), Lemesos (Limassol), Latsi and Pafos (Paphos), which are situated in the area under the effective control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus. Entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus via any other port or airport in which the Government of the Republic does not exercise effective control (Turkish occupied areas) is illegal.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 pm It was a question.....my Dad usually comes over in November to attend the British Remembrance Parade in Kyrenia, he usually flys into Larnaca and travels from their by coach or taxi. And I assume as a "resident" in Cyprus, you could travel to Ercan, fly to Istanbul for example, return to Ercan and re-enter the ROC, as the journey started there...or not!
As of now EU citizens can travel into Ercan and cross over to the republic. when the crossings were opened , Turkish Cypriots were allowed to enter into the republic, but the EU told the Republic that they must allow all EU citizens this facility, and the government agreed to this, so it follows that when Brexit happens, British citizens will not be in the EU club, so like non EU nationals would not be able to use this route.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm Yep I understand that, but if you are already resident in the ROC, and you start and finish your trip in the ROC then that should be allowed.
I would think if you have taken Cypriot Citizenship, you will be OK, there's a big difference between being a Cyprus resident and having Cypriot citizenship. ie travelling on a British passport or Cypriot passport.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Hi Oxfordboy, please be VERY aware of the speed limits and the speed cameras there,we go over to Kyrenia a lot and its a pleasure to drive over there,if only the lunatics here were the same !!!!!!
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Guess while we are in the maybe, possibly, might, discussion , we might as well consider President Nicos Anastasiades loose Federation idea which is no longer just an unspeakable thought as now he has actually spoken the word loose and furthermore has said that it is doable. What will that mean to Ercan ? Probably a third airport for Cyprus and we'll all be checking flights in out of there as we do now for Paphos and Larnaca .
Oh the imponderables and unknowns we retirees can worry about .
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mike J wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:00 pm Guess while we are in the maybe, possibly, might, discussion , we might as well consider President Nicos Anastasiades loose Federation idea which is no longer just an unspeakable thought as now he has actually spoken the word loose and furthermore has said that it is doable. What will that mean to Ercan ? Probably a third airport for Cyprus and we'll all be checking flights in out of there as we do now for Paphos and Larnaca .
Oh the imponderables and unknowns we retirees can worry about .
If there is a settlement then Ercan will be a legal airport, happy days
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:29 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:08 pm
Hudswell wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm Yep I understand that, but if you are already resident in the ROC, and you start and finish your trip in the ROC then that should be allowed.
I would think if you have taken Cypriot Citizenship, you will be OK, there's a big difference between being a Cyprus resident and having Cypriot citizenship. ie travelling on a British passport or Cypriot passport.
I think my point is, you are "booked" out of the ROC and "booked" in when you return, what happens in between is simply not known, so I see no reason why you couldn't fly or indeed catch a ferry from the North, and return via the same route. I can se the issue however if you are a "Tourist" flying into Ercan and expecting to cross into the ROC.
Sorry Hudswell, i'm having a blonde moment, not understanding your answer.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Thanks, Ok I get it now, I guess only if the ROC knew somehow, that you left the Island and entered back through Ercan.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:21 am But it is an interesting question
Just thought, could the Cypriot authorities not get passenger lists from the UK on whos flying in /out of Ercan , they could use security concerns?
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Since all flights to and from Ercan have to via Turkey, surely it would be Turkey who who have to provide passenger manifests, nothing to do with the UK!
WHL

Post by WHL »

sued51 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:04 pm Since all flights to and from Ercan have to via Turkey, surely it would be Turkey who who have to provide passenger manifests, nothing to do with the UK!
They start off in the UK, and I would imagine Ercan gives the UK a list of passengers flying to the UK
WHL

Post by WHL »

It looks like EU countries already share passenger information.
European Union
After years of debate, the European Parliament approved on 14 April 2016 the PNR directive.[7][8] This directive 2016/681 will oblige airlines to collect their passengers' data and hand them over to the EU member states.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:19 pm But Northern Cyprus isn't recognised as part of the EU...!
Correct. but they still have to sent the UK, a list of passengers travelling to the UK.