Mykonos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lofos-Jan

Mykonos

Post by Lofos-Jan »

It may be of interest to some to see a new Ryanair flight from Paphos to Mykonos from April next year. It's a good base for a Cyclades island hop (Santornini, Naxos, Paros).

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Lofos-5

Re: Mykonos

Post by Lofos-5 »

Even Qatar Airways has direct flights to the island now!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If you go, and like to visit ancient sites, its well worth going on the boat trip to Dilos (Delos).
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No sure about the celebs, but it has been favourite with gay couples for years and has a lot of nudist beaches on the other side of the island.. The windmills are pretty and the town is to my mind the archtypical Greek Island one with low rise buildings, white washed walls, blue paintwork and beautiful geraniums cascading from window boxes and staircase walls.. All steps are painted white at their edges making it easier to see them after dark. But much of the island looks windswept and arid in the summer.
I wish that Paphos old town had been developed, painted and finshed to look Greek. Isn’t that what most tourists would like to see? Also there isn’t a geranium in sight to brighten the look of the streets and houses. Sadly walking along Makarios St the other afternoon we were both struck by the desolation there so many shops have closed and stand empty with forlorn to Let notices.
Such a shame. The whole refurbishment took too long and shop keepers getting no compensation for their lost business seem to have either closed down or moved away.

Dee
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Today I went to the old town to find a leather workshop. We parked near the rear of Next and went down the wooden steps to the left of next. This takes you through the various crafter/workshops and out onto the street. It was absolutely buzzing and packed with people. What a treat to see. Near the living wall there wasn't a seat to be had and we went along the shops and out onto the front near the restaurants. So nice to see it like this. Perhaps to do with it being a Saturday but I hope it continues like this.

Jeanne
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Someone has posted on the FB group. " The international market is on that's why "
So this may be the reason it was so busy..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The Old Town is coming along nicely. Some people will never be happy, but so what?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We are soon to be publishing a website devoted to Old Town. It comprises a 230 image (and growing) virtual panoramic tour of the area together with a directory of shops and attractions. Other stuff will be added later, but I am keen to get the first version of the site out there as soon as possible.

The directory is linked to the tour, so you don't always start at the same location. You can start wherever you want.

Anyway, while collecting the data for this I am getting to know the local vendors, and they are all excited about how Old Town is developing. Sure, some times it is quiet there, but the same is true for the rest of Paphos. If it was crowded people would moan that it was too busy. :lol:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is good to hear that the Old Town shopkeepers and Vendors are upbeat about things.
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The public are too. When I was photographing that new statue the other day I could see that. It was easy getting a regular shot, but the 360s are more tricky. In crowd scenes it doesn't matter, but when the focus is on a specific thing (ie the statue) the last thing you want is people staring at the rather odd looking camera. I put the camer on a timer on a tripod, then hide somewhere. If an old lady then walks up to the camera and stares at it it kinds of breaks the composition of the shot. :)

The thing was, it took so long to take, because there was a steady stream of people walking past and taking a diversion to look at the statue and admire the view.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Could be worse Dom, a close up of a giant curious cat would have some viewers running screaming for the hills in terror of an escaped wild animal 😉
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 am
Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:29 pmToday I went to the old town to find a leather workshop. Jeanne

Did you find a leather workshop Jeanne? If not you could try Kelpis Shoes, which is about 300m from the Town Hall. They make leather shoes and boots from scratch and were featured in a recent Sunday Mail Mail article: https://cyprus-mail.com/2017/08/15/paph ... ll-heeled/ In their time they have made shoes for all kinds of Royalty and film stars. Anyway I visited them as I needed an alteration making to a leather article (nothing to do with shoes), and they did this in no time at very reasonable cost. Fascinating people to listen to, you'll have a job to tear yourself away ;)
Hi Lloyd, yes it was Georgios at Kelpis that I went to. A friend wants him to reconstruct a favourite pair of shoes.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:43 pm Could be worse Dom, a close up of a giant curious cat would have some viewers running screaming for the hills in terror of an escaped wild animal 😉
Ah I had a run-in with the Paphos Cat Lady while out photographing a stray mog. A formidable woman!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:49 pm
Lofos-Jan wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:56 pmHi Lloyd, yes it was Georgios at Kelpis that I went to. A friend wants him to reconstruct a favourite pair of shoes.
Giorgos studied shoe-making in Italy and undertook a degree course there. Myrianthis (Giorgos's father) was telling me that he covertly helped his son, Giorgos, with his final project, a pair of shoes reminiscent of 1960's Carnaby Street, which incidentally they still have in the shop.
Winkle Pickers?
David
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

I remember years ago having a pair of shoes made by an old guy in Limassol somewhere near the castle, most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had, nearly broke my heart when I had to throw them out.

Must give this new place a visit, difficult finding comfy but stylish shoes when you have bunions!!! Thanks for the tip-off.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

My Grandad used to talk about Winkle Pickers, and Brothel Creepers.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Oh, I thought that Winkle Pickers were a 60s thing, certainly people still wore them. I know someone who still wears Chelsea boots and wont wear anything else.
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

They had thick Crepe soles.. :-)
Trev..
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Thanks for that info HIC, I never begrudge paying a bit more for comfort and good quality especially when it comes to shoes, chairs and beds, I can always be more careful in other areas to balance the budget if needed.

I feel a shopping trip coming on!