Nag Nag Nag

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Nag Nag Nag

Post by Dominic »

Right, it is time for me to go in to nag mode.

We are trying to raise a few hundred euros to give some underprivileged kids a nice day out. These kids are refugees, and have had a miserable time of things over the last few years.

Now, whatever your views on refugees and asylum seekers, you need to see past the politics and concentrate on the children. With your help, a whole busload of kids can have a fantastic day out and enjoy being kids for a while.

A few of you have been very generous. Exceptionally generous in fact. But most of you have crossed over to the other side of the street, and just walked on by.

So, I am now going in to nag mode. This post is not aimed at those of you who have already donated. Both Lloyd and I are extremely grateful for those donations. No, this post is aimed at the rest of you, who have ignored the charity thread, and just walked by on the other side. Please, cross over the road again, and come and help the kids.

If you are unaware of the appeal, please see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7093

The link you need to visit, in order to make a donation, is https://www.paphoslife.com/coffee

Just leave the word "appeal" in the message. Though to be honest, everything that comes through is assumed to be for the appeal at the moment.

The simplest way to make the nagging go away, is to contribute some money to the fund.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Re: Nag Nag Nag

Post by Jimgym »

Apologies Dominic, I have been meaning to donate but with things a bit hectic here it has slipped my mind. I will do it very soon!
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Jimgym

Well done :) :) :)
You too Dominic

Rita
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Happy to be nagged, have now donated to a very worthy cause.

Allan.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Nagging would appear to be effective Dominic.

On behalf of the recipients of the picnic........thank you.
CypJonno

Post by CypJonno »

Dominic, I will throw in a €50 Voucher for my restaurant AQUi, please raffle it, give it away, anything that can make money for this worthwhile cause.

Please let me know if this is ok.

Many thanks.

Jon
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hi Jon, we have actually hit the target now. :)

If you still want to help, I could just give the voucher to the person who contributed the most, as a way of saying thanks? Entirely up to you.

Did you hear that people? WE HAVE HIT THE TARGET!

Thank you for your contributions.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Excellent news!
Ams

Post by Ams »

Really great news :-)
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

This is really great news and thanks go to the organisers of this forthcoming event plus Dominic for the extra push. Well done all

Rita
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Lloyd wrote: "However, if anyone wishes to donate......

A further donation gone and cleared Lloyd see the "Paphos Life Picnic Appeal" Splendid work by all concerned. Thank You and God Bless

Rita
CypJonno

Post by CypJonno »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pm Hi Jon, we have actually hit the target now. :)

If you still want to help, I could just give the voucher to the person who contributed the most, as a way of saying thanks? Entirely up to you.

Did you hear that people? WE HAVE HIT THE TARGET!

Thank you for your contributions.
That’s great news Dominic, I know that yourself and Lloyd don’t want rewarding for what you are doing and my hat goes off to both of you for that. Why don’t one or both of you use it as a thank you for your efforts? Not taking away anything from anyone who has donated but without your thoughtfulness or this platform the day out would never have happened. I am quite happy for you to use it as you wish. It would be nice if it could make another few quid for the charity though. As a consolation prize, a bottle of wine on me to whoever donated the most.........They don’t even have to eat with us! 😉
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Unfortunately I won't get the final figure from the payment gateway until monday. Being related to banking, that part of the system doesn't work over the weekend. Oh the suspense...

I have been meaning to visit the Aqui Restaurant for a while now, so if nobody objects I will happily accept it.

Miriam McConnon did one of the murals in Old Town. Little bit of trivia for you there. :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well deserved Dominic, enjoy, it was the nagging that got us over the line.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Right, according to the payment gateway company there has been an issue with some banks (Hellenic and BOC) rejecting some payments after they have been taken. I am trying to find out why this is happening. However, according to the documentation I have read, and responses from help staff, all that happens is that money reappears in people's accounts.

I have gone through all the data and compiled a list of affected donations. 7 people are affected in total.

I shall send an email to all 7 people, asking them to check their bank accounts over the next couple of days. We need to make sure that the money gets returned. Also, I need to check that the money does want to go to the charity. Some people have donated multiple times, and I want to check they meant to etc.

In terms of amounts, in total €190 was rejected.

The total collected by the gateway (as opposed to donations via other sources) is €531.

The rejected money would bring this total up to €721

Once I have established that rejected money is valid, and that people do actually want to donate it, I will make up the difference myself, with a view to getting it off you once we have worked out what causes the rejections. I don't think the children should be kept waiting while the grown-ups work things out.

So, if you are one of the seven and get an email from me, please respond as soon as you can. DO NOT TRY AND RESEND MONEY YET. All I need to know is that you intend to, and I will take care of the rest.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The glitch was because Cyprus banks don't always send a verification code when they validate a payment. I could go on but quite frankly typing out that first sentence nearly sent me to sleep. :)

Anyway, the system is now fully operational again. I have emailed the people affected and so far heard back from half of them. Owing to the nature of how appeals work with respect to businesses, I can only realistically give one payment to Wendy. It has to be done by the book, with receipts and wotnot. So please, if you have donated, check your emails. I am happy to front the money if your payment failed, and we can sort it out between us later, but I do have to know if you still want to donate. As I said, I have already heard back from three people, which brought another €120 to the total. But we still have €70 in limbo.

Which does however mean I can give some totals:

Money raised via the online component of the appeal so far: €651

Total including the limbo: €721

Well done to everybody involved. As soon as I hear back from the remaining folk, I will speak to Wendy and arrange handing over the money. :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it is congratulations to Mark, who won the bottle of wine by a whisker. And thanks to Aqui for the gesture.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Dominic

Please pass the wine on to Wendy, she can add it to her Christmas Raffle.