Dark side of the Med

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Dark side of the Med

Post by WHL »

I think he could make a few series just on Albania alone :shock:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Flossie wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 pm Cyprus would be a box set on it's own!!
So why live here?
June

Post by June »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:35 pm
Flossie wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 pm Cyprus would be a box set on it's own!!
So why live here?
She's lived here for a long time...is married to a Cypriot and probably has a better view of living in Cyprus than most on this forum JimG!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Very interestingFlossie! You are well qualified.But even without your obvious links with Cyprus, anyone who lives here, reads the local paper, talks to Cypriots and notices the sort of things that happen here, is pretty aware of the skuldugery that goes on!
Corruption among govt service workers, politicians taking kick backs and striking dubious deals, mafia style killings, local government corruption and scandal. The list is endless as it concerns all levels of society,
The programme on Cyprus could be interesting, even if it only scratches the surface..
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What was it then?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 pm Very interestingFlossie! You are well qualified.But even without your obvious links with Cyprus, anyone who lives here, reads the local paper, talks to Cypriots and notices the sort of things that happen here, is pretty aware of the skuldugery that goes on!
Corruption among govt service workers, politicians taking kick backs and striking dubious deals, mafia style killings, local government corruption and scandal. The list is endless as it concerns all levels of society,
The programme on Cyprus could be interesting, even if it only scratches the surface..
Dee
Can't understand why anyone would choose to live in this Crime ridden Hell Hole. ;)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

As opposed to the whinging-old-sods-who-should-move-back-to-blighty popular front?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You are closer to Middle Earth than the middle ground.
JimX

Post by JimX »

We watched last night the "catchup" of this program, I had seen another show about the Mafia and those house tunnels, next week has some of its program about Cy should be interesting one not to miss.
Jim.
rambo

Post by rambo »

Of particular interest to olive tree owners/farmers was the spread of a pathogen, which is killing the trees particularly in the main Italian Olive oil-producing area of Puglia, which is likely to spread to other such areas around the Mediterranean.

Paul
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Flossie, I wasnt meaning to be cheeky... just wondering what positives overthrew the negatives..... I do realise that corruption in many Mewditerranean countries is de facto. Look at the Paphos Marina and the inabilkity for businesses to udnerstand closed tendering....
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:53 pm I do realise that corruption in many Mewditerranean countries is de facto.
Not just the Mediterranean. There is not a single country in the world (Vatican included) that doesn't have corruption scandals. One of the biggest centres of corruption is in the heart of the City of London. Even the "cleaner than clean" countries in Scandinavia and Switzerland are rife with corruption.
boycott

Post by boycott »

And your evidence is what Mr Devil?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

boycott wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:34 pm And your evidence is what Mr Devil?
The daily reports in the media suffice? The contemporary https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fran ... SKCN1MI0JK for example
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Insider trading in London is well known - traaders meeting after hours in pubs arent swapping stories of today’s business, more of tomorrow’s.

I only ever came across one occasiona persoanlly, where a council official intimated that the competitor was taking him golfing abroad and leaving him with the golf clubs! In many years dealing with the public sector, I never saw it - but i am sure it happened....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Corruption is rife the World over,......Why do you think men wear aprons and use dodgy hand shakes,.....quite a few years back, but it gives you an idea on whats what.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... heobserver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 pm If you are not watching this programme you should...it is fascinating. Just covered Malta,,southern Italy and Albania..a great watch.
He's on again in just over an hour. Tonight he starts off in Cyprus.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

WHL wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:46 pm Corruption is rife the World over,......Why do you think men wear aprons and use dodgy hand shakes,.....quite a few years back, but it gives you an idea on whats what.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... heobserver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due
Masonic influence caused the cover-up over Hillsborough and is rife in the police in the UK
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm Insider trading in London is well known - traaders meeting after hours in pubs arent swapping stories of today’s business, more of tomorrow’s.

I only ever came across one occasiona persoanlly, where a council official intimated that the competitor was taking him golfing abroad and leaving him with the golf clubs! In many years dealing with the public sector, I never saw it - but i am sure it happened....
Happened to somebody I know very well. They had lots of dealings with councils and would have had more had he greased the outstretched palms. It was against his principles though.

I travelled and did a tiny bit of work in Cambodia in the 90s. There it was pretty official, and called the Tea Table Tax, or something like that. In the UK it is more subtle, but it still happens.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Put a sock in it.