New labels coming to petrol pumps

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

New labels coming to petrol pumps

Post by Mrblobby »

The EU ruling comes in this month , I wonder when it will happen in Cyprus ?

Fuel labelling in petrol stations across Europe is to change this month (October 2018) in line with new European Union rules to standardise pumps in the EU zone.

Under the EU’s new Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Directive 2018, instead of “Unleaded” and “Diesel”, pumps will be labelled with standardised letters and numbers, corresponding to the type of fuel, and the amount of biofuel it contains.

For example, “Unleaded 95” and “Unleaded 98” will both be replaced by the letter “E”, followed by a “5” for 5% biofuel, and “10” for 10%.

Diesel will be identified by the letter “B”, with a choice of B7 or B10, depending on the fuel you require (7% biodiesel to 10% biodiesel).

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... ar-BBMxTTy
Attachments
246F893C-25D0-4087-8E80-1E5669AD8FE1.jpeg
246F893C-25D0-4087-8E80-1E5669AD8FE1.jpeg (112.09 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: New labels coming to petrol pumps

Post by Dominic »

Seems odd to have standardised lettering when there is no standard alphabet.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

Who is the person who devised this new system. It looks very confusing with unleaded. why 3 types of markings. what is E85 for example. if you have to have this imposed on us why not just add the letters to the old system which we can all understand at present. I am glad that in the UK we are leaving and possibly do not have to conform to this new idea. WE shall see if and when this is taken up or simply ignored.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have just posted this on a UK group I run.. It should apply to the UK. They are still in the EU until March next year
Trev..
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Without wishing to get too political, no wonder the EU is in danger of imploding. Some jobswortn actually thought that up, and b a lot more of them agreed to it.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Very confusing for some older drivers out there, my car runs on unleaded petrol, that's all I need to know. I wonder how much all the change of signage will cost and more to the point, who's going to pay for it, any guesses ? Total madness.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

I take your point HiC but I was referring to someone thinking up the need to standardise labelling of pumps across the EU. Perhaps I should have explained myself a little more clearly.

It will inevitably cause a lot of confusion if these new labels are given too much prominence. Leaded or Unleaded labelling for petrol works well already and, whilst I can't speak for Cyprus as I drive a petrol car here, in the UK I have a diesel and all the filling stations I use have single pumps on each bank of pumps that are just marked Diesel. Just the one pump, and I can't imagine many places adding a new underground tank, and corresponding pump for B10 just in case someone wants to use it. If I understand it correctly, and I probably don't, all diesels are B7 compatible but not many are B10 compatible, particularly newer low emission vehicles. Over time, if the fuel companies cooperate with the vehicle manufacturers, I suspect the vehicle manufacturers will start to build engines that are compatible with B10, but it will inevitably take a very long time if the transition from Leaded to Unleaded petrol is an example to draw on and, in those days cars did not seem to last as long as they do now, so replacing them with cars with newer engine compatibilities may have been a quicker process than it may be in the future.

Pure speculation, but I imagine that most drivers will just look at the signs that they are used to seeing, which I am sure the filling stations will continue to use, whilst they won't even be aware of the new labelling which will be added fairly discretely to satisfy the new ruling.
Spock

Post by Spock »

I filled up in Stroumpi last week and noticed the filler nozzle had a different colour - blue from memory but I might be wrong. It's usually green (again from memory!!) so I asked him to check it wasn't diesel he was putting in.

Don't recall any change in labeling or signage though.
Boldly going......
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I'm sure they won't just change overnight from the present labeling into this new one. They most probably will have both labels for some time for people to get used to it.
Louise :)
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 pm Instead of jumping up and blaming the EU, why don't you conduct some research online? With the multiplicity of fuels available these days, with more variants and additives coming out all the time, I would have thought the more you know about the type of fuel you need to buy for your car the better?

For example, this is what E85 is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85 It's worldwide, not just Europe!
I only need to know 2 things a) its unleaded and b) the price
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:32 pm my car runs on unleaded petrol, that's all I need to know.
So you don´t want to know whether your engine can use fuel with 5% or 10% ethanol (which come at different prices)?
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Having spent a lot of my working life on petrol forecourts I know garages will not carry all these different types. Too expensive.

This could involve new tankage, new pipeage..........

The vast majority of garages will stick to the current 3 - 2 x unleaded and 1 diesel.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Or E5, E10, B7 and B10, allowing for posh diesel.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

All petrol stations here fill up for you, chill out people it aint the end of the World.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But you still have to tell them which petrol or diesel you require :-) :-)
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 pm But you still have to tell them which petrol or diesel you require :-) :-)
I never do Trev, just drive in, they fill it up. and if they did ask, you just tell them, simple.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jeba

I took delivery of my new Vauxhall Mokka exactly one month ago, it runs on petrol, no instructions from Vauxhall or the dealer that it has to be filled with a specific petrol. So in answer to your question, no, I take it that I would have been informed if it had been important to use one of the three, so I use the cheapest.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Or a sticker inside the filler flap :-)
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm Jeba

I took delivery of my new Vauxhall Mokka exactly one month ago, it runs on petrol, no instructions from Vauxhall or the dealer that it has to be filled with a specific petrol. So in answer to your question, no, I take it that I would have been informed if it had been important to use one of the three, so I use the cheapest.

Jackie
You know you´re taking chances, don´t you?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:59 pm
Just asking Jackie: did your brand new car not come with a manufacturer's handbook :?
It's not the first time that I've taken delivery of a brand new car that didn't have a manufacturer's handbook with it! ;)

Shane