Tourists spent $3 billion in Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Tourists spent $3 billion in Cyprus

Post by memory man »

Tourists spent $3 billion in Cyprus, in 2017, according to a report by the World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO).

The report which analyses annual tourism trends, found that Cyprus had 2,173 million international tourist arrivals in 2010 who spent $2,160 billion, 3,187 million in 2016 who spent $2,755 and 3,652 million in 2017 who spent $3,128 billion.

Cyprus had a 0.5% share of international arrivals in Europe and 0.6% of the revenue.

France was the world’s most-visited country in 2017 with 86.9 million arrivals (13% of the share in EU), with a revenue of $60,681 billion, an 11.7% share of EU revenue.

The second most visited-country in the world was Spain with 81.8 million arrivals (12.2%) and the third was USA with 75.9 million (36.5% in the whole American continent).

Greece had 27,194 million arrivals in 2017 who spent $16,528 billion, a 4.1% share of EU arrivals and 3.2% of the revenue.

The UK had 37,651 million arrivals in 2017 leaving $51,211 billion in the British economy, accounting for 9.9% of EU revenue and 5.6% of arrivals.

The total number of tourist arrivals last year was 1.32 billion, up 7% from 2016, while tourism receipts rose by 5% to $1.34 trillion.

This was due to a combination of factors, such as strong economic conditions, higher demand in emerging markets and the recovery of destinations suffering from security challenges, according to UNWTO.

https://in-cyprus.com/news/local/touris ... fographic/
Lofos-5

Re: Tourists spent $3 billion in Cyprus

Post by Lofos-5 »

Interesting plot and good graph (saves me doing one this weekend, lol...).

I find it astonishing to see Cyprus' number to be lower than Bahrain and Qatar - 2 countries that really have nothing to offer to tourists (other than to deprived Saudis prior the blockade that is).

But having half as much as Brazil is not that bad actually...

A.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

It's quite an impressive total when considering the relative size of Cyprus compared to many European countries. Will be interesting to compare in about 5 years time if many of the small swimming pools have to close down. Flying to Cyprus is not particularly cheap compared to some other destinations where, in the future, facilities are likely to be better.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I would imagine the figures quoted are on the low side.... , how many restaurants/Bars/Clubs/ shops/Taxis/water sports/illegal apartment hire/ etc etc, disclose their real income, not many I would guess
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

mouse wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:28 pm Does this include all inclusive holidays paid for in country of origin, does this money ever reach Cyprus?
Well the people in Cyprus supplying the AI holiday must get paid from the travel agents
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah, I see what you mean now. The money is being sent away again :-)
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 am Point I was making Trev is some or perhaps many hotels and chains are foreign owned. It is not unknown for hotels not to pay there services and communal bills. Foreign workers often send most of their wages home as soon as they get paid, you can see them in the money transfer shops.
Nobody ever mentions how important the people with foreign pensions are, this is all new money into the Cyprus economy, I suspect it is a lot of money too !
I think your find the majority of Hotels in Cyprus are Cypriot owned.