One day this nightmare will be over

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Anarita John

One day this nightmare will be over

Post by Anarita John »

After 14 years since we first signed our contract, today we finally picked up our title deeds from the Land Registry. Even at the last minute, we had moments of panic. The tax certificate from our local community was 16 days out of date and we had to get a new one. At our local community office we were told our developer owed taxes and we would have to get him to pay them before we could get the tax clearance. Panic again, no chance of this happening. Rang our solicitor who spoke to the lady at the community office and found out it was only €72 which we paid.

We can now relax and enjoy our property in Cyprus. However, there are people on our development who are still waiting for their deeds and other clients of our developer who are nowhere near getting their deeds as their sites are not finished. We can only hope that they receive their deeds quickly and the bank, who are owed millions by our developer, cooperates with them.

Then there are the ones who paid thousands to our developer and never saw a finished property, or even their properties started. I would have put on this post a photo of the houses in Coral Bay with the graffiti, but the ones I found on google are all copyrighted.

We have been visited by bailiffs from the bank and served court orders. We have had to prepare evidence for our court case. Our file of evidence is huge.

I would like to thank Jim Cross for his support in the past and putting a sticky status on a post about a petition against alphabank, quite a few years ago, when we were first threatened with eviction. Also thanks to our friends on the eastern forum who organised the petition, Deanna (cyprusmoothie) and PICAS, who were very supportive when our homes were being threatened. Also Nigel Haworth who has publisised our plight and Denis O'Hare for the advise and support he gave us.

Our new lawyer Louise Zambartis and her staff have been brilliant and have supported us over the last three years when the threat of our homes being repossessed by the banks was very real, with court orders being served on us. Barbara at the Paphos office has been extremely supportive and reassuring.
Lofos-5

Re: One day this nightmare will be over

Post by Lofos-5 »

Very pleased for you that your resilience paid off!!

A.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Congratulations John when is the party!!

JC..

Jim.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Congratulations John; it's been a long haul.

Jim
emgee

Post by emgee »

Jim X wasn't all bad, well done Jim.

Alan
jeba

Post by jeba »

Reading horror stories like that make me appreciate the German system of land registry. We don´t know such a thing as a title deed but ownership and all rights and claims will simply be entered in to the land registry book of the local court. So when you buy there can be no surprises because the notary (you have to use one) will make an excerpt from it part of the contract to purchase . Maybe that´s something which should be regulated and harmonised by the EU.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Would love to have a huge party and invite you all, which is what everyone on our site intended to do when we all got our deeds. Other than the two owners who went to Louise Zambartis and the two owners who had bank waivers originally, everyone else has not got their deeds. Therefore it would be totally inappropriate to celebrate.

We celebrated quietly last night with a meal out.
Last edited by Anarita John on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveg

Post by daveg »

I think I know this development.... really pleased, that at last you can move on with your lives and enjoy your time here...
Wish you well....
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Pleased for you but cannot begin to imagine how nightmarish it must have been for you. You can now put it behind you and breathe easier. It's a lovely day so enjoy it!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well done, John. You made all the right moves. I’m glad that Nigel and of course Louise have helped you with good advice abd positive action. Also that Jim X, a kindly soul helped too in his way.
Now, you can relax and enjoy your life again, the sense of relief you must be feeking now must be immense.
Dee
tonee

Post by tonee »

Sold our house here through Louise,she was Limassol based,excellent!