Horseless carraiges.Petrol or Diesel?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Horseless carraiges.Petrol or Diesel?

Post by Chaddy »

We are having to purchase a new horseless carriage as our once trusted and very faithfull Honda is now acting its age. :(
However the big debate (in the local watering hole of course at about 50/50) is whether to buy petrol or diesel.
Any input would be very much appreciated and reasons why,or in fact if anyone has purchased petrol or diesel and regretted it...
JimX

Re: Horseless carraiges.Petrol or Diesel?

Post by JimX »

I agree on petrol in most cases, I disliked the performance of diesel, smelly and noisy unless you can afford a top of the range car, even then it would always be petrol. As Lloyd says diesel are to be fazed out in the UK eventually, and no doubt here too. I did get a reasonable millage economy with my 3Ltr Turbo 4x4 but that was outweighed by service cost that is higher than a petrol car, also performance not as good as petrol.
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Cannot agree Lloyd mine was smelly and noisy certainly more ratley than any petrol car I have owned, ours was a large engine 3Ltr as I said turbocharged and only 5 years old, also servicing cost was much higher, dump diesel's I say. Just being a little :twisted: ish, I would not buy another though, not for me.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We got a 'new to us' second hand car a couple of years ago, and diesel was not on the wants list at all.
Trev..
boycott

Post by boycott »

Is a hybrid or an all electric vehicle a serious option in Cyprus and or back in the UK?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have Never seen any charging points for electric vehicles in Cypriot towns
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The new diesels are comparable with petrol; I have a diesel Insignia and to me it's as efficient and as quiet as the wife's petrol engined Toyota.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:21 pm I have Never seen any charging points for electric vehicles in Cypriot towns
We have them in Larnaca, theres a couple in the main car park down town, and the best bit is they are always empty, so your guaranteed a parking spot if you drive electric, they also have them in Larnaca airport....looking at the link below, they have them in all the main Cyprus citys.
https://www.eac.com.cy/EN/CustomerServi ... fault.aspx
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I was looking at a Toyota Hybrid but when checking the warranty period and replacement costs for the batteries I decided to stick with a petrol engine; the batteries are not cheap to replace.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

boycott wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:10 pm Is a hybrid or an all electric vehicle a serious option in Cyprus and or back in the UK?
Have been running hybrid vehicles since 2007; absolutely no problem and excellent service. Suitable for anywhere!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:32 pm I was looking at a Toyota Hybrid but when checking the warranty period and replacement costs for the batteries I decided to stick with a petrol engine; the batteries are not cheap to replace.

Jim
I have never had a sniff of needing to replace a battery. Most traction batteries are guaranteed for 10 years and you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll last much longer than that!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Toyota offer a five year or 100,000 miles warranty on the Hybrid batteries and the cost is around €5,000 to replace.
I've had problems with batteries here, maybe I was unfortunate.
Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I have had 10 year guarantees on both my Honda and Lexus, but have never had to have a replacement traction battery. As it happens, I have just replaced the ordinary 12 V battery on the Lexus after 4 1/2 years! Of course, that was not guaranteed!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

This illustrates the flaw of electric cars.
1. Most electric cars are recharged after getting home from work. NO SOLAR recharge!
2. The recharge in the evenings/nights is mostly from carbon fuel power stations.
3. To generate electricity to recharge from power stations is less carbon-efficient than an ordinary equivalent petrol car.
4. Therefore electric cars are worse than petrol cars for carbon emissions.

There are rare exceptions to the above generalisations, e.g., when people can charge from solar, maybe 5% of the total.

As for Lexus hybrids, I've had one (CT100H) for nearly 5 years (previously a Honda hybrid) and I'm still impressed with mine!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am
4. Therefore electric cars are worse than petrol cars for carbon emissions.

There are rare exceptions to the above generalisations, e.g., when people can charge from solar, maybe 5% of the total.

Or people living in sunny places like Cyprus and don't drive hundreds of km's/week, this is a nice example....

By the way: There are already subsidies on the way from the Cyprus Govt. for charging your e-car at home, from your PV-installation on roof or garden...

Max
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Diesel is no longer the ogre is used to be and both Bosch & Delphi (the main manufacturers of the systems) are actively and successful increasing their environmental promises for cleaner motoring.

https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.co ... of-diesel/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:48 am
By the way: There are already subsidies on the way from the Cyprus Govt. for charging your e-car at home, from your PV-installation on roof or garden...

Max
Please explain to me in 3-letter words how PV on your roof is going to charge your EV that you have been using for work all day and you get home in the evening when it's already starting to get dark. You can then charge it from EAC juice with a <30% carbon efficiency. Where's the saving?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mate of mine has just bought an expensive diesel Merc, two door sleek looking car, as he was leaving I went down to see it, beautiful car, then he started it, sounded like a tractor, killed the moment.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Our car is a Hyundai Getz 1.5 turbo diesel which we shipped here from the uk.
I have just filled the tank and it has done 49 mpg just running around Paphos area.
I would never get that from a petrol car.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:59 am
cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:48 am

Max
Please explain to me in 3-letter words how PV on your roof is going to charge your EV that you have been using for work all day and you get home in the evening when it's already starting to get dark. You can then charge it from EAC juice with a <30% carbon efficiency. Where's the saving?
No 3-letter words but if I was going to work with a car, covered with solar modules like the video showed and place it in the sunshine there, it would get a reasonable charging...

Many families have more then one car. If their EV needs charging at home they can perhaps use the second or third car...

There a many systems on the solar market where you store your produced PV electicity into back-up batteries at home to use it for various applications.

https://www.powervault.co.uk (one example here, their products store 4-20 kWh, however on the downside I don't like the idea of second hand batteries...)

Max