Horseless carraiges.Petrol or Diesel?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Horseless carraiges.Petrol or Diesel?

Post by Devil »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:42 pm Our car is a Hyundai Getz 1.5 turbo diesel which we shipped here from the uk.
I have just filled the tank and it has done 49 mpg just running around Paphos area.
I would never get that from a petrol car.
Not true. If I drive carefully without aircon in tween seasons, I can get on my petrol 1.8 l Lexus just over 4 l/100 km and it's a bigger car than a Getz. Currently, at 38°C, I run at about 4.6-4.7 l/100 km with aircon. In winter, consumption goes up to ~5.1 l/100 km with shorter trips, because it takes longer for the hybrid to kick in (up to about 15 km at 5°C).
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

WHL
If your mates car is a new Merc he needs to take it back - I have a new E350 AMG Diesel and you can just hear it running when standing next to it and when your inside if it wasn't for the rev counter you would not know it was running - Totally silent they are very well sound proofed.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

mouse wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm 5. Where is this MASSIVE INVESTMENT coming from?
The company I work for, RDS, invests billions to get ready and be the leader for the EV revolution. It’s CEO and management team all drive EV or hybrid vehicles - quite a big deal considering that all the money RDS currently makes is still from hydrocarbons.

https://www.shell.com/energy-and-innova ... rging.html

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/welcom ... harge.html

Shell aims to beat power utilities at their own game:
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1TK1N7

A.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I seem to remember reading many years ago that diesal was the way to go but now it's all about electric
Reminds of my first childs railway where you had to keep winding it up. Any thoughts on this Devil?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

No! I passed from Hornby wind-up to Trix-Twin electric in 1937 or 1938.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ahh yes I can see it now.
An electric car hanging from of the owner’s home window on a block of flats by its recharging cable 20 floors up!

:lol:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Back to the original question, diesel or petrol ...

When my late husband decided to trade in the diesel twincab for something I would enjoy driving after his death, he left it entirely to me to choose, but recommended an engine of less than 2 litres to reduce motor tax.

So I did a lot of investigating on-line, came up with a short list which got whittled down further as to what was available with service in Paphos. My criteria were petrol, manual, big enough to have a certain presence on the road (ie not a Smart car or similar sized vehicle), a decent colour (not black or grey or white).
So what have I got? Well, as I wanted Dave to be able to drive it too, albeit for a very short time, it was very much a question of what was on the forecourt. So ...
I am the pleased possessor of a silver grey 1.6l diesel automatic Honda CRV which drives very well, is not noisy, uses far less diesel than the twincab - and is a whole load easier to park! 😂😂
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Austin7, got exactly what I wanted, although when I started looking I obviously didn't know what I really wanted! 😂😂. And I have solved the boring grey colour by tying an assortment of coloured ribbons to the door handles. 😲😀

Very happy with my car, although I do miss being able to just lob the bag of rubbish in the back of the twin cab - I don't live on the dustcart's route and have to deliver my rubbish to a wheely bin!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:21 pm I have Never seen any charging points for electric vehicles in Cypriot towns
Trev, there is a list of EAC charging points on their website. There are 2 at Paphos EAC building, 2 at each airport and a few more dotted around, mostly Limmasol, Larnaca and Nicosia plus Protaras, Platres and Polis.

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think I will hold off buying an electric car at the moment then ;-)
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:28 am I think I will hold off buying an electric car at the moment then ;-)

My decision would be a 4x4 plug-in hybrid with at least 80 km pure electric drive as it looks Cyprus is far behind with the charging infrastructure.. but if I could drive 60-80 km in the forest with pure electric it would be a dream for me.

Max