National Anthems

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: National Anthems

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:01 am Although I dont have any Scottish Blood, I must admit I do sing it, when I hear it, and get the urge, to slap on some blue Brave heart face paint ..Proper anthem.
Scotland has a stirring national anthem and has had the donkeys years. It is Scots wha hae

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_Wha_Hae
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

This is probably heresy but, I find our anthem to be totally dreary and dated when compared to some. I think the days are long gone when we should be expected to laud our Royal Family, particulary as they have so many foreign roots, and would far rather have a stirring anthem that focuses on our country and people. I have never understood the mentality of our ancestors who felt the need to import "royalty" from Europe etc, and then allow them to rule us. At least today they do not actually rule.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 pm
WHL wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:01 am Although I dont have any Scottish Blood, I must admit I do sing it, when I hear it, and get the urge, to slap on some blue Brave heart face paint ..Proper anthem.
Scotland has a stirring national anthem and has had the donkeys years. It is Scots wha hae

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_Wha_Hae
Just listen to this, sorry Devil, but it sounds like something you would play, to send your baby to sleep....not very rousing?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

My personal Scottish favourite is Caledonia....

A more 'balladic' version... with lovely images...

Although "Loch Lomond" by Runrig is incredible -

There is a version sung by German football team - FC Koln - which is brilliant

As football anthems go, it's hard to beat Hibs singing "Sunshine on Leith after winning their first Scottish cup final after 90 odd years

I'd agree with Sir Billy, that GSTQ is a dirge of an anthem.....

Lastly, Flower of Scotland by the Rugger chaps....

England and Wales do need a rousing anthem as they have been less 'nationalistic' - some seeing it as a negative when the opposite is true....
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I agree that what is on YouTube sounds like a dirge but it is totally different to what we used to sing when I was a kid, 75 odd years ago. I don't know why it has changed but it used to be very stirring, but maybe the war had something to do with it to evoke patriotism.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

2QP

I also find our National Anthem dreary, it's more like music to commit suicide by.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that the Union Jack by definition in its title, signifies the union between the 4 countries which make up Great Britain. Thus the red, white and blue. To break it up into 4 small states woukd further degrade its status in the world...

You only have to study the history of the British Isles to understand this.

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:02 pm I think that the Union Jack by definition ...
... is a small version of the Union Flag flown at the bow of a British ship when in port to indicate the vessel's nationality.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Quite right Devil.
Why oh why compare our National Anthem with other countries, they all have national anthems which mean something to them. Ours reflects our history, traditions and encompasses the 4 diverse countries.
We are a country with a monarchy rather than a republic, we are a country with stability and free speech. Our governments and political parties come and go, but the Royal Family reflects an a-political head of state. Having seen the sort of presidents that other countries can elect, who can grossly affect the whole country, our Royal Family, especially the Monarch provides the whole country with stability and continuity.
This is what our National Anthem signifies to me.
Personally I dislike the anti establishment element in our country which seeks to destroy this and usher in something much less enduring.
I hate the idea that some so called Britsh people people have to decry our country at every opportunity.
Do Americans, Germans, and most other countries carry on like this!
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

I'm proud to be English, that is the country of my birth, Britain comes second to me.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Verse 2 of GSTQ

Lord our God arise,

Scatter her enemies

And make them fall;

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all! .

Or how about Verse 6?

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the Queen

Lovely anthem to unite the 4 countries? I think not....

... and before you point out those verses aren't sung.... it's a bit like saying we don't really mean "`britannia rules the waves"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

As you say the offending verses of the National Anthem are never sung these days.
I agree that the Royal Nay is only a shadow of its former self, you can blame successive chancellors of the exchequer for that - always seeking to reduce the defence vote.. a false economy as at times we have really needed our armed forces when our national security is at stake. But, hey there is a perpetual clamour for money to be spent on... you must know or guess the rest of that sentence. Anyway, if you translate certain other national anthems into English you can see that they also may make claims of historic nature which may not be true today...
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:49 pm Can't see a problem really...unless you are looking for one of course, which the "I am offended" Bde just love doing....really boys...get a life.
If you can't see a problem with that it says way more about you than anybody else.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:49 pm Can't see a problem really...unless you are looking for one of course, which the "I am offended" Bde just love doing....really boys...get a life.
NOT Offended. but I wonder if the same line mentions English, if you would have sung it?

I just find it outdated and a dirge. I also wouldn’t feel comfortable any more cap-diffing the monarchy who did little for anyone I ever encountered.

My wife and her family are monarchists and that’s fine. Just as I am a republican.