Upgrade offer from Cobalt

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: Upgrade offer from Cobalt

Post by Kili01 »

I wish that they would do PFO - LHR route as Cyprus Airways used to do. EJ don’t fly there, so no competition. If they included this route I would use it regularly...
It would be much more convenient for anyone travelling West or SW of London.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:40 pm Anyway, for those who have not yet tried Cobalt, or have an interest in their 'Elements' card, I can now report as follows:

Last Thursday I travelled from LCA to LHR Economy. Because I'm not yet in possession of their Elements card (it hadn't arrived) I took along a piece of paper confirming my membership number. I checked in at the Business Class desk, there was no queue and I was attended to straight away. That's a very nice stress-busting perk.

I tried for one of my three free Business Class upgrades, but was told this wasn't possible. I have since learned that this has to be booked at the time of making the flight reservation through the Elements direct line. My booking was made months ago, so I didn't qualify. The desk was open and available for use 3 hours prior to flight time; more than once Ryan Air have opened the desk late, leaving minimum time for shopping and quite unnecessary stress. I could have taken 2 x 20kg cases with me free of charge, but on this occasion I just had a carry-on. Another nice perk, but on this occasion couldn't avail myself of it :(

Both flights left and arrived on time. Communications from Cobalt by email and sms, reminding me of my flight times was first class.

Though the aircraft I flew out on had clearly seen a few years service, the interior looked nowhere near as gaudy and naff as Ryan Air's. Seat pitch in economy was about as cramped as other airlines - just not enough when your trying to read a paper or eat a meal with the tray down.

Coming back I again checked in at the Business Class check-in and was first in line. My very important medical check-up had been a great success (my consultant's word was "Brilliant" when he saw the improvement in my condition), so I decided to treat myself to Business Class coming back. I once again tried for the free upgrade...and the guy behind the counter and his supervisor went to great lengths to secure this for me, including a call to Larnaca, but it was at this point I learned that free upgrades have to be pre-booked. That made sense. I was then offered an over-the-counter upgrade to Business for €149, which I accepted. I paid on a card.

This then meant that after some mad pressie shopping I was able to go to their nominated Business Class lounge where, amongst the cool, calm tranquility you find in these lounges, unlimited free food and drink awaits. As I was driving later that night I dared not have alcohol, I would rather save a glass of wine for the inflight meal.

The boarding process with Cobalt seems so much better than other airlines, none of this families with children first, rows 21 to 30 next, 10 to 20 after that and so on. It was a very orderly board, though in theory I was entitled to board first by virtue of the Elements card.

Now to the Business Class cabin. There are just 12 seats. 4 abreast instead of 6 abreast in economy. The seats are like Lay-z-boy recliners, huge in width and huge in pitch. What's more, you can recline the seats properly, without upsetting the person behind you. You really can stretch out and there is plenty of room in the seat itself and in front of you. Two cushions per seat too. Pure luxury :)

Just as soon as you're on board, drinks are offered. Not long after, you're given a menu for a four course meal. Not much choice except for an vegetarian option on the main course. Wine with the meal is free too, as is quality coffee afterwards. You can have the meal whenever you want.

I would put Cobalt's Business Class on a par with BA's Club Class, though I must admit, haven't flown Club Class for a few years.

You're first off the plane too, which can make a difference.

Wife was just checking Cobalt's winter schedules and the flight times to/from LCA/LHR are excellent. Where we live, LCA is just 1hr 15 mins away, though I understand it won't suit everyone. Neither will Cobalt's destinations: LHR, LGW or Stansted.

In conclusion, I was impressed and Cobalt would be my airline of choice for the future...and Business Class wherever possible, especially when you get 3 free tickets per year with their Elements card. The two free 20kg suitcases per trip and easy Business Class check-in, plus Priority Board make it a no-brainer too.
We have also signed up , thanks for the update
paulok

Post by paulok »

I just signed up for this card and the main cardholder pays Eu150 and each additional family card is Eu75. You get priority check in, 40kg bag allowance on every flight and 10% discount on all tickets. 3 upgrades per year. It’s a good deal in my opinion and I just booked to fly from Dublin to Abu Dhabi next Saturday for EU150 all in.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Lloyd

I need your assistance please. I have been perusing Cobalt's web site but am having difficulty trying to find flights. I was looking at December from Larnaca to Stansted - Business Class (my little treat to myself when travelling home) My dates are Mon. 17th December returning Mon. 7th or 14th January but it will only quote me Economy and furthermore will not let me go beyond the price quotes for that i.e if I click on the shopping trolley nothing happens.
I have also looked for information on the Elements card you have described but have drawn a blank. Can you direct me on this please also?
B.A are asking 666 euros Business Class return to Heathrow (which I dont mind) with reasonable travelling hours but Stansted is better for my daughter for pick up and departure airport. Given your thumbs up for this airline I thought I would like to try it.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Rita
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Lloyd

Thank you so much for the information. i did wonder if winter schedules made a difference. However I did find a flight to Stansted for the 17th December and a return on 7th January but no fare details for business class just economy so possibly that is all they are doing for that period. Only problem was I could not get beyond finding the flights and price it would not let me get further so maybe a hone call will assist. I have received an email this morning from the Company but it is unfortunately in Greek - it appears to be an advert for something. I shall persevere.
Thank you again.

Rita
WHL

Post by WHL »

Pafos

Post by Pafos »

Three European airlines have gone bankrupt this month alone. Two of which were very viable on paper.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Text from the above link:
Cobalt airlines, the largest Cyprus-based airline, is expected to ground its flights as of midnight on Wednesday, after reports said that the company failed to reach a deal with a potential European investor.

According to Economy Today, the company has only €15 million its accounts, which are expected to be used to pay the employees.

The transport ministry told the website that they are on standby to ensure that no passengers are affected by the issue.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Mark

Post by Mark »

I feel very sad for people who in all good faith signed up for the upgrade offer.

I hope a solution can be found.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Both wife and I signed up and wife due to fly to London next week,,,Not the end of the World
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-45897567

The low-cost airline Cobalt has cancelled all flights from midnight Wednesday according to a statement on its website.

The carrier, which has operated flights in and out of Cyprus since 2016 - including flying UK holiday-makers to the island - has suspended operations.

Local media said Cobalt had failed to reach a deal with a potential new investor.

The Cyprus Mail said the airline's main backer is China's Avic Joy Air.

The airline's statement said future flights would not operate due to "indefinite suspension of Cobalt's operations", and advised passengers not to go to the airport.

They should contact their credit card provider or travel agent instead, it added.

Cobalt flew to 23 destinations, including Heathrow, Stansted, Gatwick and Manchester, and had recently added a business class and frequent flyer programme.

It employs about 200 staff.

Cypriot transport minister Vassiliki Anastassiadou said alternative arrangements would be made for passengers booked with the airline.

Before 2016, short-haul flights out of Cyprus were dominated by state-controlled Cyprus Airways. But it collapsed making room for the new operator.

Danish budget carrier Primera Air ceased trading earlier this month after 14 years of operation.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

I thought it was only me up at this unearthly hour in CY Flossie and in fairness didn't notice a new post had been started
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:26 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:40 pm Anyway, for those who have not yet tried Cobalt, or have an interest in their 'Elements' card, I can now report as follows:

Last Thursday I travelled from LCA to LHR Economy. Because I'm not yet in possession of their Elements card (it hadn't arrived) I took along a piece of paper confirming my membership number. I checked in at the Business Class desk, there was no queue and I was attended to straight away. That's a very nice stress-busting perk.

I tried for one of my three free Business Class upgrades, but was told this wasn't possible. I have since learned that this has to be booked at the time of making the flight reservation through the Elements direct line. My booking was made months ago, so I didn't qualify. The desk was open and available for use 3 hours prior to flight time; more than once Ryan Air have opened the desk late, leaving minimum time for shopping and quite unnecessary stress. I could have taken 2 x 20kg cases with me free of charge, but on this occasion I just had a carry-on. Another nice perk, but on this occasion couldn't avail myself of it :(

Both flights left and arrived on time. Communications from Cobalt by email and sms, reminding me of my flight times was first class.

Though the aircraft I flew out on had clearly seen a few years service, the interior looked nowhere near as gaudy and naff as Ryan Air's. Seat pitch in economy was about as cramped as other airlines - just not enough when your trying to read a paper or eat a meal with the tray down.

Coming back I again checked in at the Business Class check-in and was first in line. My very important medical check-up had been a great success (my consultant's word was "Brilliant" when he saw the improvement in my condition), so I decided to treat myself to Business Class coming back. I once again tried for the free upgrade...and the guy behind the counter and his supervisor went to great lengths to secure this for me, including a call to Larnaca, but it was at this point I learned that free upgrades have to be pre-booked. That made sense. I was then offered an over-the-counter upgrade to Business for €149, which I accepted. I paid on a card.

This then meant that after some mad pressie shopping I was able to go to their nominated Business Class lounge where, amongst the cool, calm tranquility you find in these lounges, unlimited free food and drink awaits. As I was driving later that night I dared not have alcohol, I would rather save a glass of wine for the inflight meal.

The boarding process with Cobalt seems so much better than other airlines, none of this families with children first, rows 21 to 30 next, 10 to 20 after that and so on. It was a very orderly board, though in theory I was entitled to board first by virtue of the Elements card.

Now to the Business Class cabin. There are just 12 seats. 4 abreast instead of 6 abreast in economy. The seats are like Lay-z-boy recliners, huge in width and huge in pitch. What's more, you can recline the seats properly, without upsetting the person behind you. You really can stretch out and there is plenty of room in the seat itself and in front of you. Two cushions per seat too. Pure luxury :)

Just as soon as you're on board, drinks are offered. Not long after, you're given a menu for a four course meal. Not much choice except for an vegetarian option on the main course. Wine with the meal is free too, as is quality coffee afterwards. You can have the meal whenever you want.

I would put Cobalt's Business Class on a par with BA's Club Class, though I must admit, haven't flown Club Class for a few years.

You're first off the plane too, which can make a difference.

Wife was just checking Cobalt's winter schedules and the flight times to/from LCA/LHR are excellent. Where we live, LCA is just 1hr 15 mins away, though I understand it won't suit everyone. Neither will Cobalt's destinations: LHR, LGW or Stansted.

In conclusion, I was impressed and Cobalt would be my airline of choice for the future...and Business Class wherever possible, especially when you get 3 free tickets per year with their Elements card. The two free 20kg suitcases per trip and easy Business Class check-in, plus Priority Board make it a no-brainer too.
As HIC is always so concise and accurate with his predictions and recommendations I think I'll have to get myself one of these Cobalt cards :lol:
Cheap shot..... easy to try and look clever in hindsight :roll:
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Now that they've ceased trading, purchasing Elements was an expensive option!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 am Fair play to Hellenic Bank: on our November c/c statement they reimbursed €453 for payments made for flights plus €225 i.r.o. payment for the Elements cards.

Although we regret Cobalt's demise, at least we haven't been left out of pocket. The reclaim process was very straightforward.
BOC returned my wifes lost fare, pronto,