Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Post by Chaddy »

Word for word from a local newspaper...……..Although Brexit is scheduled for the 29th March 2019,a proposed 21-month transition period is expected to maintain existing residency rules and benefits until the end of 2020.
Britons "lawfully residing" in an EU member state before the 31st December 2020 cut off date will retain the right to remain and access existing benefits in that country after full Brexit takes effect.

So whats the rush :)
JimX

Re: Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Post by JimX »

I agree for the sake of €20 and an hour of your time (we did our own form filling) why take the risk, if it is not needed then great, but if it is then the panic will start, best to get it done I feel.
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Agreed! It makes sense to do this, but there will always be those who prefer to take a chance. So be it.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Certainly worth getting the MEU3 done when you have lived here for the requisite five years. It is recommended by BHC in Nicosia. Seems many haven't even bothered to get the MEU1 Yellow Slip as ''there's no need for it''.
TandC

Post by TandC »

I have never really understood the difference between MEU1 and MEU3. Anyone got a succinct explanation?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, the MEU 1, is given when you register with Immigration Dept. Is required for a stay over 3 mths. It is just a registration certificate.
The MEU 3 is a Residents permit. You can’t apply for this until you have been living on island for 5 yrs. British expats are being advised to obrain this status by the BHC, Nicosia, preferably before the Brexit. As it says, the holder has been approved to reside in Cyprus.This may be useful when arriving or leaving the island, as it will show that you are a resident who has been approved legally to live on island.

Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

TandC wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:19 pm I have never really understood the difference between MEU1 and MEU3. Anyone got a succinct explanation?
As I see it the MEU1 is permission to reside in Cyprus. MEU3 gives the right to reside in Cyprus.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Yes hudswell,surely the last thing that Cyprus wants for the economy is for expats of all nationalities to start leaving in droves.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:57 pm At the end of the day they are both designed for EU citizens...which as UK citizens we will not be...but being an optimist I have no doubt measures will be put in place to ensure our ability to live and work in Cyprus.
As the UK High Commission strongly advises British Citizens to apply for an MU3 I would think that's the way to go.
Your comments remind me of a line in the Magnificent Seven by Steve McQueen when telling about a man who jumped off a ten story building and every time he passed a floor he'd say, "So far so good".

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I've read several open letters and reports of meetings with British residents accredited to the BHC urging the British residents to apply for Permanent Residency though the way Brexit negotiations appear to be going (according to the UK government Foreign Minister) there is every possibility the UK will crash out without a deal. UK Citizens living and working in other EU countries are so concerned with the situation they are taking the govérment to the High Court. To suggest everything will be fine is misleading because none of us know what the outcome will be. Having had extensive dealings with Cyprus Immigration over the years I've found to our cost a "belt and braces" approach is the way to go

Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I think all the op was telling us is we still have a few years to get the meu3 , we do not need to rush out and get one today .

As for the meu3 being for eu citizens , the powers that be have already got this covered , we will be able to simply swop it for a permanent resident certificate .

Anyway I’ve got mine already ;) ;)
Attachments
EBCE17FD-B4E7-44A0-8990-E778652AB5DB.jpeg
EBCE17FD-B4E7-44A0-8990-E778652AB5DB.jpeg (116 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I have mine as well but mine looks a little different from yours, took nearly a year to get it and that was before the deluge of applications from British applicants. Non EU citizens MU3 are only valid for 10 years, not for life as the ones issued to EU citizens are so we may have go through the same procedure again in 10 years time if that's the norm for TCN's.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
Below is a link to the Famagusta Public Network and a meeting held with the BHC by the Daxi Group.

One paragraph states: "If you have lived in Cyprus for 5 years or more AND already have your yellow slip, you need to apply for the MEU3 which is the form for permanent residency in Cyprus".

https://www.famagustapublicnetwork.com/ ... cyprus-134

Now you are welcome to read it anyway you wish and also to suggest I'm fueling concerns but in these very uncertain times it's better to be safe than sorry. The blog is stating that initially if you have not registered, register for the MU1 and if you do qualify for the MU3 begin the application procedure. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to apply for one though to my mind it's the sensible way to go.

Jim
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:09 am
Varky wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 pmAs I see it the MEU1 is permission to reside in Cyprus. MEU3 gives the right to reside in Cyprus.

Spot on!

Chaddy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:39 amYes hudswell,surely the last thing that Cyprus wants for the economy is for expats of all nationalities to start leaving in droves.

Why would "expats of all nationalities" start leaving in droves? It's only the UK which voted for the insanity of Brexit :?
Of course your right,,just a another little senior moment of mine :roll:
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:09 am
Varky wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 pmAs I see it the MEU1 is permission to reside in Cyprus. MEU3 gives the right to reside in Cyprus.

Spot on!

Chaddy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:39 amYes hudswell,surely the last thing that Cyprus wants for the economy is for expats of all nationalities to start leaving in droves.

Why would "expats of all nationalities" start leaving in droves? It's only the UK which voted for the insanity of Brexit :?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:13 pm "As well as the discussion regarding the mandatory requirement to apply for the Certificate of Residency aka the “Yellow Card”, there was also discussion regarding the voluntary (but recommended) requirement to apply for a Certificate of Permanent Residency (Form MEU3)..."

I will read it anyway I like Jim, but that paragraph is quite clear....
Hudswell
In the paragraph relating to MU3 I quoted I read the key words as "need to" but I'll leave it at that. If you wish to interpret that as recommended well that's your prerogative.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I’m presently in the UK, but following this discussion. Briefly boils down to those Cyprus resident Brits being advised to register with the Immigration Dept for the MEU1 if they haven’t already done so. For those of us who have previously got an MEU1 and who have already completed 5 yrs living on island, are being advised to apply for the MEU3 Residents Certificate. We have been told to do this before the Brexit takes place next March.
This is supposed to give us more legality and more protection as far as remaining as residents
Is concerned.
This may be even more relevant if the UK crashes out of the EU wth no agreement and no laws in place,.. we will lose the protection which being nationals in another EU state, currently give us. Among other things they allow us free movement in all EU member states, plus the ability to live and work there.
Being in the UK while some of this is going on, the general impression is that our government is up to its neck with all the aspects of leaving the EU and people are more concerned with the effect that it will have for our country and Brits living there. I feel it is wise to listen to what is going on and to take account of what the BHC in Nicosia is telling us.
I would not believe some if the viewpoints being expressed on forums. Make up your own mind based on what reliable information is available.
Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Having read back over all my posts I can't see anything where I've said it was Mandatory to apply for an MU3, when I stated that it was strongly advised you initially disagreed but now confirm that the BHC recommended this. As I also keep saying, the choice is yours but having dealt with Nicosia Immigration directly for over ten years I would advise anyone to make sure they have all ends covered. All applications for an MU3 are processed in Nicosia even though the application is submitted in Paphos; no ten minute cosy chat and walking out with slip in hand.

Jim
smudger

Post by smudger »

"Chaddy wrote: ↑Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Ah, we all have those. Just a few weeks ago I tapped a telephone number into my calculator and wondered why I couldn't get through :lol:"

Can't believe somebody else does this as well as me!!! Except mine is when keying in accounts stuff for the shop and I can't understand why it's not appearing on the screen!! Well it won't when I'm entering it on the calculator will it :shock: : :shock:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:27 pmFor those of us who have previously got an MEU1 and who have already completed 5 yrs living on island, are being advised to apply for the MEU3 Residents Certificate.
I guess that for quite a few the question is whether they will qualify for a MEU3 if they have lived in Cyprus for more than 5 years but haven´t bothered to apply for a MEU1 until now (or have done so less than 5 years ago).