Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Re: Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Post by Lincoln »

BREXIT – IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EXPATS RESIDENT IN CYPRUS. THIS INFORMATION ASSUMES THAT THE UK LEAVES THE EU WITH A DEAL. IF THERE IS A ‘NO DEAL’ THE POSITION MAY CHANGE! This is from the TALA web site.

1 Driving Licences– if you are still driving around on your UK driving licence, this should be changed for a Cypriot one as soon as possible. If you do not do this by the 29 March 2019 there is a possibility that the Cypriot authorities may request you sit a new driving test!

If you return to the UK, you re-exchange the Cypriot licence for a UK one.

The Cypriot licence will be valid if you drive in the UK on your visits there.

2 Immigration

IT IS IMPORTANT TO REALISE THAT THE CYPRIOT AUTHORITIES CANNOT GUARANTEE YOUR STATUS IF YOU DO NOT REGISTER WITH IMMIGRATION. IN ADDITION, IF YOU DO NOT REGISTER, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACQUIRED CITIZENS RIGHTS WHICH WILL APPLY WHEN THE UK LEAVES THE EU. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU REGISTER TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS.

Within 4 months of moving to Cyprus you should have applied for your yellow slip [MEU1]. If you did not do this and you do not have a yellow slip [MEU1] please go to Immigration with your passports and make an appointment. Please make it clear that you are applying for the MEU1. Immigration will tell you the documentation required at your appointment – and expect to have to wait around 4 months for this appointment. Those who are married are likely to be asked to get the marriage certificate apostiled and you may be required to provide an official translation into Greek of specific documents depending on the country of issue.

If you have your MEU1, and you have held this for 5 years or more, you should upgrade this to an MEU3 [permanent residency]. By doing this you will qualify under the Citizens Rights Agreement. You have up until the date the UK leaves the EU to apply for your MEU3 – thereafter if you have not applied for your MEU1/3 you would have to apply as a Third World National and your application would be considered accordingly. As a European citizen the current application rate for the MEU3 is €20 per person – the fee is likely to be higher and the documentation required more onerous for a Third World Citizen.

To apply for the MEU3, you need to go to Immigration with your passports and make an appointment [expect to have to wait around 4 months for this appointment]. Immigration will tell you the documentation required. Please note that immigration will need 5 years continuous [with no omissions!] statements of bank, OR water, OR electricity, OR phone bills. As you have your MEU1 you will not need to get your marriage certificate apostiled. Photographs are not required as a photo will be taken of you at the time of your appointment.

If you do not formalise your residency in Cyprus before the UK leaves the EU, it is likely that your access to the General Hospital will be removed.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Thanks for the information Lincoln.
Just a rider to that.
To get documents translated into Greek it can be done at the Press and Information Office in Nicosia. It is opposite the Foreign Ministry close to the German Embassy.
To get documents Apostill'ed you go to The Ministry of Justice which is left at the first set of lights at the end of the Nicosia motorway and then about a kilometre on the right.

Jim
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:22 pm Lincoln, all that information is contained in the links all ready provided by Dominic and others on this site, links to official documentation. I think the TALA website are a tad guilty of promoting a degree of hysteria in their interpretation of the facts.
I have never seen mention re access to the hospital in any previous links etc .

“ If you do not formalise your residency in Cyprus before the UK leaves the EU, it is likely that your access to the General Hospital will be removed. “

Although I agree having the meu1 should class as formalising your residency .
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re driving licences .... I believe that you cannot apply for a Cypriot licence until you have been here for 6 months..
Trev..
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Lincoln wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:57 pm BREXIT – IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EXPATS RESIDENT IN CYPRUS. THIS INFORMATION ASSUMES THAT THE UK LEAVES THE EU WITH A DEAL. IF THERE IS A ‘NO DEAL’ THE POSITION MAY CHANGE! This is from the TALA web site.

1 Driving Licences– if you are still driving around on your UK driving licence, this should be changed for a Cypriot one as soon as possible. If you do not do this by the 29 March 2019 there is a possibility that the Cypriot authorities may request you sit a new driving test!

If you return to the UK, you re-exchange the Cypriot licence for a UK one.

The Cypriot licence will be valid if you drive in the UK on your visits there.

2 Immigration

IT IS IMPORTANT TO REALISE THAT THE CYPRIOT AUTHORITIES CANNOT GUARANTEE YOUR STATUS IF YOU DO NOT REGISTER WITH IMMIGRATION. IN ADDITION, IF YOU DO NOT REGISTER, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACQUIRED CITIZENS RIGHTS WHICH WILL APPLY WHEN THE UK LEAVES THE EU. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU REGISTER TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS.

Within 4 months of moving to Cyprus you should have applied for your yellow slip [MEU1]. If you did not do this and you do not have a yellow slip [MEU1] please go to Immigration with your passports and make an appointment. Please make it clear that you are applying for the MEU1. Immigration will tell you the documentation required at your appointment – and expect to have to wait around 4 months for this appointment. Those who are married are likely to be asked to get the marriage certificate apostiled and you may be required to provide an official translation into Greek of specific documents depending on the country of issue.

If you have your MEU1, and you have held this for 5 years or more, you should upgrade this to an MEU3 [permanent residency]. By doing this you will qualify under the Citizens Rights Agreement. You have up until the date the UK leaves the EU to apply for your MEU3 – thereafter if you have not applied for your MEU1/3 you would have to apply as a Third World National and your application would be considered accordingly. As a European citizen the current application rate for the MEU3 is €20 per person – the fee is likely to be higher and the documentation required more onerous for a Third World Citizen.

To apply for the MEU3, you need to go to Immigration with your passports and make an appointment [expect to have to wait around 4 months for this appointment]. Immigration will tell you the documentation required. Please note that immigration will need 5 years continuous [with no omissions!] statements of bank, OR water, OR electricity, OR phone bills. As you have your MEU1 you will not need to get your marriage certificate apostiled. Photographs are not required as a photo will be taken of you at the time of your appointment.

If you do not formalise your residency in Cyprus before the UK leaves the EU, it is likely that your access to the General Hospital will be removed.
For heavens sake Lincoln,how can you apply fora MEU3 when the immigration are NOT taking appointments :o Never the less thanks for your info
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Chaddy, we have an appointment for Dec. We were lucky to get it before everyone piled in.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I’m waiting for my MEU3 doc now. I applied for the appointent with Immigration in Jun. Got an appt in Sept. Was told form would take about 6 weeks to arrive... You can’t hurry Immigration they are a law unto themselves.

Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

I did not use any agent and ours came within three weeks, I guess it is who handles the forms in Nicosia.?
Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I finally decided to apply for the meu3 today , the date for my appointment.....31st January . I guess there must be a lot more people applying now .

I was surprised when she gave me two forms and said that me and the wife had to fill in one each . When we went for the meu1 years back we just filled in the one form ?
Last edited by Mrblobby on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Gwenny is my next stop, seems to make sense, having been through the quagmire of MEU 1, don't want a repeat. Having said that I do object to producing the same documentation I produced just a few years ago.
It all seems very intrusive for someone who pays taxes in Cyprus, who spends money here which benefits the local economy and complies with all local laws.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Gwenny did a very competent job for me where this MEU3 application was concerned. She knows exactly what paper work you must provide. If you do that, she will do the rest. Takes away the stress of dealing with Immigration.
I feel that her fee was worthwhile as it saved me both time and possible aggro.

Dee
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

We think we are having to wait a long time for appointments , one bloke in France has said his appointment is not until September 2019 . :o
Polly

Post by Polly »

I went to get an appointment for MEU3 yesterday and was given a date towards the end of February. I was going last week but didn't after reading that appointments for MEU3s were not being made. If I had gone then and got an earlier appointment in January, which was what I was hoping for, I may have got the card before the end of March and a possibly no deal outcome, which does seem more and more likely. Well, I suppose it will all be sorted in the end.

For those who have already been to their appointment: two things required on the form. Is it really necessary to get five years worth of printed statements from the bank? I know HIC said Gwenny said they weren't needed, but perhaps she had something else to produce? Also the question about Last Date of Entry into Cyprus. Do they mean the last date you came in from say, a holiday, or the last date you entered to reside? If anyone knows the answers to these two questions, many thanks for a reply.

Polly
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Horses for courses springs to mind! :)

Shane
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

As for last date of entry , did you people not fill in the meu3/A ?

Oh I know Gweny did it . ;)

It is question 12 on the form .
Attachments
image.png
image.png (156.83 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Even if Gwenny did do it she would have to have asked the applicant the question off the form
Trev..
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

The last date of entry?????? I,ve just got back from the North so what should put?????
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Just put the last day you arrived back on the island. It's more for non EU Citizens as they have to keep a careful record of the time spent off the island as it's taken into account when applying for permanent residency.

Jim
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

I went along with Gwenny (as I usually do) on 5th October. Appointment was for 9am - I arrived at 8.55am seen straight away and out at 9.05am. The waiting room was quite full.
The only documents required of me was my MEU1, Passport and Title Deeds the latter given only a cursory glance. I had with me 5 years tax returns, 5 years Bank Statements and 5 years utility bills none of which were requested of me. I understand. in order to speed things up, those of us who have a MEU1 are not required to produce bank statements etc as Immigration records show these have already been produced. Oh I did have my photograph taken presumably to go onto the new MEU3. Told to expect the relevant document in approximately four weeks so early days yet.
Personally I would take along the documents requested just in case unless one is told otherwise (being something of a horder I had the originals). Gwenny for me everytime she did the first one for me and other things involving public authorities so to save any hassle she gets the call from me.

Rita
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks again everyone for your replies.