Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Post by Jim B »

Deleted.j
Last edited by Jim B on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
holitec

Post by holitec »

I moved here in 2005 and had an "alien card" - I later applied for my residence under the "new" EU rules, and had to all the same as the above (again).

What changed? and what will change?

Probably will have to produce the same documents again (just updated) and queue again for the new form - oh and pay a small amount again for the stamps (in triplicate of course) - then all will be well until the rules change again.

The only thing that concerns me is having to have a Cypriot partner, so I may have to apply for citizenship and a passport, but I have the documents to do that if necessary, however the two year transition period should enough to sort that (hopefully)

Digby
jeba

Post by jeba »

holitec wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm What changed? and what will change?
Possibly that your employer needs to prove that he can´t find an EU citizen who can do the job, which would obviously lower your chances of getting a job. That´s how is is in Germany for third country citizens (I´m guessing that´s an EU regulation).
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Applying for Citizenship in Cyprus isn't a ten minute trip down to immigration, it takes years and can cost a lot of money if you want to get Lawyers involved to speed up the process (speaking from first hand experience).
The pink slips were valid for only five years as are the Yellow Slips issued to TCN's. Permanent Residency for TCN's is only valid for ten years and all TCN applications are processed in Nicosia.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:16 am
holitec wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm...so I may have to apply for citizenship and a passport, but I have the documents to do that if necessary, however the two year transition period should enough to sort that (hopefully). Digby

And as you're probably aware, the cost of obtaining Cypriot citizenship and/or a passport can run into thousands. Which makes me wonder why, as a person running a business in Cyprus, you have always shown yourself to support Brexit?

Going on from that, I've never quite understood why 80%+ (it would seem) of UK expats living in Cyprus support Brexit, when Cyprus appears to get on perfectly well with the EU...and does not have any issues with it. Really puzzling!
I would imagine its a bit of the '' the last days of the Raj syndrome '' too many foreigners coming to live in the UK... O the Irony.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Perhaps they did not understand the question ....
JimX

Post by JimX »

Jim B

You are correct it is not a ten minutes job, took my daughter three years and she has two Cypriot children and a Cypriot husband. she has lived here for 28 years.
Jim.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

It took me a little while too but didn't cost much as far as I remember. You will of course pay heavy fees if you chose to use a lawyer or facilitator.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hi Jeanne
Took two days short of two years to get my wife's citizenship sorted and you have to have been registered with immigration seven years (even though everyone believes it's five years) before you can apply unless you are married to a Cypriot I believe. As it took over a year to obtain her first yellow slip all in all it took us ten and a half years to qualify.
I did go down the Lawyer route (and yes it was very expensive) but in the end it was worth it as we don't have the worry of what will happen to her come the end of next March.

Jim
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Jim

Good news that it is all sorted for your wife and you now have the security you need. I don't think many realise how much more difficult the whole residency process is in general for non EU citizens.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Since I made the original posting on here there have been 67 replies,and a lot of questions about the MEU3 kindly answered.However there is still one outstanding issue not agreed on or solved..... A Marriage certificate...... oh dear!!

When applying for a MEU3 do you need a marriage certificate (if married of course).
If you do need a marriage certificate does it have to be apostilled.
Do you need a marriage certificate if you have a MEU1.
Do you need a marriage certificate if you have been in Cyprus for over 5 years.
Will a copy of your marriage certificate surfice.

Would very much appreciate advice of someone who has "been there,done it and got the T shirt" so to speak,,,,,,i,m holding my breath!!!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Chaddy. This thread has been running now for around 3 weeks. If you cannot see the answer in all the post why not Pop into the Immigration department and ask there.. ?
Trev..
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

My husband and I went to immigration last Wednesday and apart from about a hours waiting all was very good.
The young lady we saw was excellent and was very efficient.
Took everything we needed photocopied.
Marriage certificate was need photocopied but not aposolised
She asked for one thing which showed five years on it, which we had obtained from the electricity board.
Photo taken there
Should get MEU3 in about five months.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Many thanks HIC so it looks like we don't need a marriage certificate.We do both have a MEU1 but with our grey matters being ,,,well,,,challenged in our advancing years we can not remember providing one at the time,,,,yes ,,,your our man,,thanks.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

[quote=Chaddy post_id=68322 time=1536331477 user_id=1014]
Many thanks HIC so it looks like we don't need a marriage certificate.We do both have a MEU1 but with our grey matters being ,,,well,,,challenged in our advancing years we can not remember providing one at the time.
Oh dear,,tremgirl and austin7 seem to differ with this. :?
TLR

Post by TLR »

Chaddy wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:14 pm Since I made the original posting on here there have been 67 replies,and a lot of questions about the MEU3 kindly answered.However there is still one outstanding issue not agreed on or solved..... A Marriage certificate...... oh dear!!

When applying for a MEU3 do you need a marriage certificate (if married of course).
If you do need a marriage certificate does it have to be apostilled.
Do you need a marriage certificate if you have a MEU1.
Do you need a marriage certificate if you have been in Cyprus for over 5 years.
Will a copy of your marriage certificate surfice.

Would very much appreciate advice of someone who has "been there,done it and got the T shirt" so to speak,,,,,,i,m holding my breath!!!
The answer to all but the last question is yes, you need a marriage cert.
Last question the answer is no, it must be original.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Again... I repeat what I have said above... 'Why not Pop into the Immigration department and ask there..' ?
Trev..
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Chaddie
As I said in my message YES you need a photocopy of your marriage certificate but not apposillised, even if you have MEUI
You need copies of everything for them to keep.
MEUI
Marriage Certificate
Birth certificate
Something which shows you have lived here for five years.
We took a copy of our Contract of sale but wasn't needed.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:04 am Easier said than done Trev. Visiting Immigration amongst a milling throng of 30 people and waiting in a cheerless queue to get to the window which is not always attended is not for the faint-hearted. And yes, before anyone says, I know some people have not found it to be a challenge.

When we met Gwenny-Mary at Immigration at the appointed time she just whisked us through and took charge of everything from start to finish.

For definitive answers, even though I believe I and Austin7 have answered the questions correctly, Chaddy might like to email Gwenny or Kathie on gwenredtape67@cytanet.com.cy
It was my understanding that you had to call in to make an appointment..
Unless like yourself you pay and agent to do it all for you
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We just take every original document we believe may be relevant to our application and several notorised or apostilled copies of each. We were asked for our Apostilled marriage certificate when we applied for our MU3, you can never be certain what documents will be requested at the interview so it's best to take copies of everything you can think of.

Jim